AFCON and Football in Africa

Hold on: next year already? I hope at least that they’ll maintain it in the summer period. Although Ivory Coast is a rather hot place I suppose… so will it be moved to winter 2024?

1 Like

The one that Mané just won was supposed to take place last year. I think climate-wise there might not be a difference as to when in the year it’s held, although I might be (and probably am) wrong.

1 Like

Ivory Coast and Cameroon are roughly on the same latitude, so if Cameroon’s tournament was moved to winter, the same might happen to the next as well.

1 Like

Wasn’t it moved due to Covid-19

AFCON 22* was deferred by a year due to COVID and it was, as with all previous AFCON, scheduled for the winter.

Apparently CAF has recognized the clash of AFCON games with those of European leagues during winter period and wants to hold all future AFCON during the off-season.

1 Like

Congratulations to Sadio. Incredible mentality willing to be the fifth penalty taker after missing a penalty 4 minutes into the game. That took some serious stones. I was generally neutral — would have been happy for Salah to captain Egypt to an AFCON title — but by the end was slightly pulling for Senegal. Either way, Sadio has cemented himself into Senegalese (and AFCON) folklore. The commentators were saying that children will grow up wanting to be the “next Mane.”

Interesting to think of Egypt being the weaker side, given that they have arguably the best player in the world in their side and the propensity to just grind out games, though going to ET in 4 games was probably not what they wanted. Senegal definitely a bit more firepower with Mane, but their finishing let them down…both teams could have won it with the chances they had, although Senegal was more profligate. That in mind, I figured Senegal had to win it in the 120 minutes, so was quite surprised to see Senegal win the shootout.

Either way, the fact that Mane said it was the best day of his life sums it up. He won’t be forgotten anytime soon.

3 Likes

That pushes the day he met Melissa Reddy into second place then.! :0)

1 Like

So, why does AFCON have to take place every two years? Oh yeh, money!.

1 Like

Are they really together?

1 Like

Yep.

Apparently been together for a while but kept it quiet - or at least quiet enough to be kept out of Social Media

4 Likes

Well our Brazilian lads are all recent Copa America winners

1 Like

Yeah, that’s recent history and present. But before that. Not many World/European champions, etc.

Remember Bernard Diomede? :ghost:

2 Likes

Not here to kill the mood, but the draw for AFCON 2023 qualifications is complete and the matches are scheduled to begin from June 2022. The AFCON 2023 will be hosted by Ivory Coast between June 23 and July 23, 2023.

Group A: Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Guinea-Bissau, Sao Tome and Principe
Group B: Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Togo, Eswatini
Group C: Cameroon, Kenya, Namibia, Burundi
Group D: Egypt, Guinea, Malawi, Ethiopia
Group E: Ghana, Madagascar, Angola, Central African Republic
Group F: Algeria, Uganda, Niger, Tanzania
Group G: Mali, Congo, Gambia, South Sudan
Group H: Ivory Coast, Zambia, Comoros, Lesotho
Group I: DR Congo, Gabon, Mauritania , Sudan
Group J: Tunisia, Equatorial Guinea, Libya, Botswana
Group K: Morocco, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Liberia
Group L: Senegal, Benin, Mozambique, Rwanda

Looks like they might need to invent a new alphabet soon if any more teams join the parade…

FFS our players are still recovering from the last one. This competition every two years - really needs to be used for WC qualifying or something…

1 Like

Two rounds of qualification games between May 30 and June 14. :laughing:

Let’s hope we still have the players for this to still be a problem.

UEFA nations league has 3 games over the same period :rofl:

Egypt beat Guinea 1-0