AFCON and Football in Africa

Terrible game, over fussy referee who ruined it. Mane should’ve gone for 2nd yellow card for diving. I’m just glad neither of them are injured.

2 Likes

People in suits Maria… the guys that organise the event…
In tonight’s case…
The Glory Hunters wanting to steal the limelight away from the players

4 Likes

Ultimately, this 100 times over.

Come home lads and lift 4 cups this season :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh sorry, got it :grimacing:

I feel so sorry for Mo. Egypt coach should have put Mo’s penalty at the beginning.

1 Like

…and if he had of missed it Maria he would be feeling ten times worse right now… maybe
All good me thinks need to get them on a plane now and get them back home to Anfield :0)

2 Likes

Ref was a pain in the hole

2 Likes

Mo is so devastated. How can he pick himself up when he gets home?

I was in mourning for 2 weeks, when we lost the Euros final and I am just the armchair telly supporter.

1 Like

For months Maria MO has had the weight of his nation on his shoulders with the AFCON approaching… It is over now done and dusted so he might, just might start playing with more freedom from now on… Might work in our favour

3 Likes

Got to feel for Mo. He’s used to playing for a team who dominate and give him all the service he needs. And then there’s Egypt…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Now he knows how Hendo & Trent feel :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

If you asked Salah which of winning the AFCON or qualifying for the WC he would choose he would take the latter all day long

1 Like

I’ don’t want to be rude @Maria but Salah is an athlete in his prime, looking for goals to accomplish, you are a nice but a tad older lady than him perhaps with a few less goals …

Just saying … :innocent:

The fireworks look lovely.

@Dutch, I haven’t got any goals, I always used to miss the goal post in the park footie. I was a good dribbler. I thought I was Zico in my dreams :joy:

1 Like

2 Likes

Bet ya he woke up with two world cups this morning…! :0)

That Malawi kit is exquisite :heart_eyes: :malawi:

BTW, this isn’t Portugal vs. Brazil :grin:

2 Likes

Complete shit show of a tournament. Better football in the park on a Sunday.

Its clear why Salah was 5th choice on pens as they wanted him to take the winning pen being the Egyptian king n’all.

3 Likes

Didn’t watch almost any of it, but happy for Africa, they deserve their tournament. Better conditions also. Not their problem that the whole football calendar is packed.

But proud of our two players to reach the end. I had my doubts if they would go that far, Senegal with their players missing and Egypt’s lack of individual quality (at least known to me).

We didn’t have many players to win top international awards, it’s great to have two Liverpool players being stars of the final.

Mane said in the dressing room last night that it’s the best day of his life and I can only imagine what that must feel like, to do it for his country.

2 Likes

The 2023 Africa Cup of Nations (also referred to as AFCON 2023 or CAN 2023 ) is scheduled to be the 34th edition of the Africa Cup of Nations, the biennial international men’s football championship of Africa organized by the Confederation of African Football (CAF).

The tournament is scheduled to be hosted by the Ivory Coast, the second time the country would host the competition.[1] The Confederation of African Football changed the dates of the tournament to June and July rather than the usual January, which will come into play as of the 2019 tournament.[2][3] It will allow the tournament to not conflict with other major tournaments, as well as allowing big name players to play for their nations in the tournament without missing games for their European club side.[4][5]

2 Likes

I really enjoyed this tournament, the upsets and surprises. It is up there with the Euros and South American tournaments. It means so much to the people Africa.

The AFCON organisers may need abit more organisation and better pitches, but this tournament is no less than the Euros.

For me, the tenacious Comorros won my heart, with their lack of resources, they managed to knock some big heavy weight favourites of the tournament and gave the favourites Cameroon a hard time.

I am very happy that Senegal won, but you can’t feeling Mo’s pain. He will come back stronger and more determined.

1 Like