AFCON and Football in Africa

If just knock out anyone who hasn’t won and play the tournament out of those teams. 3rd place awards failure

1 Like

Naby v Mane right now, 55mins in and Naby’s not gone down yet…

…annnnnd Sadio’s just missed an open goal :rofl:

Senegal 1-0

Brilliant free kick delivery by Diatta, right on the money. Seck powers the header home.

Diatta would be a good utility player for us, can play LW CF RW or RB.

Wow, fair play Mauritania. Put up a wall all 2nd half. Algeria finish bottom of their group, embarrassing from them.

On Diatta - good for us based on AFCON or his play at Monaco?

From what I can tell he’s a backup at Monaco and pretty much a none-factor offensively (8 goals and 6 assists in 87 appearances for Monaco across three seasons).

Yes
But he looks good on telly so he must be great.

1 Like

This year’s Amrabat.

1 Like

Gambia vs Cameroon was epic.

56’ gambia 0-1 cameroon
72’ gambia 1-1 cameroon
85’ gambia 2-1 cameroon
89’ gambia 2-2 cameroon
90+1 gambia 2-3 cameroon

90+5 gambia equaliser chalked off for handball

3 Likes
1 Like

Chris Hughton sacked by Ghana! I didn’t even know he was their coach.

2 Likes

I’d wondered what had happened to him. I always thought he seemed like a decent coach.

2 Likes

Decent bloke, crap coach.

1 Like

Nigeria :nigeria: vs Cameroon :cameroon:
Angola :angola: vs Namibia :namibia:
Cape Verde :cape_verde: vs Mauritania :mauritania:
Morocco :morocco: vs South Africa :south_africa:
Mali :mali: vs Burkina Faso :burkina_faso:
Senegal :senegal: vs Ivory Coast :cote_divoire:
Egypt :egypt: vs Congo :congo_kinshasa:
Equatorial Guinea :equatorial_guinea: vs Guinea :guinea:

3 Likes

Ghana out, well they deserved it to be honest.

Ivory Coast deserve that draw for being so shit lucky.

Well, Egypt seems to have gotten a winnable opponent for both Round of 16 (DR Congo) and Quarter-finals (Equatrial Guinea or Guinea). If they make the semis, Mo could potentially still play for them in the tournament.

He is said to be unavailable for the Emirates clash anyway, so I am not really arsed if Egypt makes it.

My understanding is that if Mo is deemed fit for any of the AFCON games, he wont be able to play for Liverpool. A FIFA issue that also arose when Matip fell out with Cameroon.

A non-issue by the looks of it.

1 Like

Wonder how it plays out if he says is only fit for the 3rd/4th place playoff?

Probably enough cover anyhow, my only issue is if say he was fit for Arsenal, Klopp would probably use him for 20 mins, Egypt would drag him for the entire game.

If I’m honest I doubt he ends up back out there and though they are favourable games everyone seems to be buggering up across both tournaments

Egypt are pretty crap themselves - without Salah, I suspect the teams drawn that could face them are relatively relaxed about it all.

1 Like

What is it with keepers in the Afcon? Angolan keeper sent off for saving a chip with hid hands….outside his box! :rofl:

1 Like