Ex-player: Alex OXLADE-CHAMBERLAIN

Just checking, with the number of trolls on here just looking to tear our players down it’s hard to tell sometimes.

Yes I do think he still has speed, but I’m not 100% sure on his agility. Certainly from the pre-season friendlies he looked mobile enough, but not sure how much can be read into that.

I remember the talk around the time that he signed was that he preferred to come to us at least in part because Chelsea viewed him as a wing-back, as did Arsenal. This was Conte’s 3-5-2 era at Chelsea, and I think Wenger was still there?

So at least two somewhat competent managers thought he could do a decent job there. I’m not saying he plays there all the time, but I’m suggesting that he’s at the very least got more experience doing it in professional football than Calvin Ramsay, and is a better fit compared to James Milner.

Do I think it’s likely that Jürgen does do it? I doubt it. There’s a reason why Milner is preferred to come on quite often, and it isn’t just about his individual ability in a particular position. It often seems to be that Jürgen prefers to have at least one of him or Henderson on the pitch where possible, so he thinks they provide other valuable leadership skills.

Wenger had him as a right wing back at Arsenal but don’t think Ox was a fan.

1 Like

He wanted attacking midfield role.

whats the go here with this guy?

how longs he out for?

Who? Ox is back.

1 Like

Yeah, he’s right back

on the physio’s table… :see_no_evil:

And this thread has come full circle…

Thing was he played two games in the CM before his injuries and looked poor, he is far better further forward, he can potentially play a few roles in that team, stick with Gomez at RB and see if we get chance to get Ramsey in the side.

Sort of. He wanted to stop being the player who always had to make concessions to move around according to what the team needed. He was coming into the peak of his career and felt that was limiting his ceiling and affecting his england prospects (his move back into defense came at a time he had just had a decent run in attacking roles for England).

He’s in a completely different stage of his career now and if he’s going to get any sort of contract from anyone next year needs to prove he can run. For that he needs to get on the pitch and will likely play in goal, happily if you asked him.

1 Like

The burden of when he plays on trying to prove a point gets on him as well. And is bound to happen when he is back. That has led to lot of bad decision making in him trying to take on players and score a worldie whereas at times what was more required atleast in the position he plays in was balance on when to drive forward and when to keep it simple.

I think he needs to move on for his own sake - to maybe a warmer country to help his muscles.
When he did get a chance last season he was invisible and was hooked.
The injuries have taken their toll, his confidence is gone and thats such a shame as he was flying before the Roma injury.
But he needs a new start somewhere where he can play lots of games (if fit) on the bounce.

It would be an ironic twist of fate to see him play out the rest of his Liverpool career at right back and to see him play it well, only to move elsewhere in the summer, play central midfield and get injured again. I’ve given up on him and Keita when I heard about their latest injuries but thankfully Klopp isn’t as fickle as me and will do everything he can to make the most out of this cursed season. That said, I really don’t expect much.

Nah, I don’t see Ox covering at RB. It reminds me a bit of the theory from Rafa’s team, some fans wished that Kuyt played RB and Johnson played RW. Never made sense to me. Ox was still useful here and there last season. With our long seasons and injury records, we need anything we can get from anyone. If he’s in a good shape for a period or two in what will be his final season here, we will use him if we need him. Probably more in the offensive positions these days.

Great to see Ox on the bench last night. :pray:

3 Likes

Didn’t realize Ox played 25 odd mins against Forest. :muscle:

Well you wouldn’t, usually quite hard to tell when he does.

The most pointless signing in the Klopp era.

I think that title belongs to Keita.

1 Like

Ox had that one massive blow out and he has never been the same again and before that really was a game changer. Keita just gets injured several times a season, another player who effectively if fit even 50% more than he is would be a star.

On cost it would have to be one of these but on actual pointless stakes it would have to be Davies surely? Even Karius contributed something in the league that got us 4th.

I think the most pointless thing is calling our players pointless.

1 Like