An Comhrá na hÉireann - The Ireland Thread!

Redseven,
You made my rest of the year, I can watch the Late Late show and Fair City :grinning: :+1:t3: The travel, culture and lifestyle section is excellent.

3 Likes

Just in time for the Late Late Toy Show this Friday. Don’t know what it’s going to be like during covid lockdown but every year its a show kids of all ages should get to watch.

live opening of the show last year

1 Like

@RedSeven would you suggest some nature documentaries??? I browse RTE often for news.

Not sure if it is the area/s you seeking… but check out the series narrated by Ewan McGregor

Highlands - Scotlands Wild heart
:+1:

1 Like

Which channel? I distinctly remember the title, so I must have watched an episode. Perhaps in YouTube.

Would all depend on the context in which you use it. Would be less common to use “fuck off” in Irish, we have a few more preferable alternatives.

1 Like

If you are outside of the Emerald Isle, I always thought it was… Feck Off…! :crazy_face:
Upon the Emerald Isle… (Gaeilge)… ‘Foc il leat’

But you too late already… DioufGates had it spelt out to him by the Mods yesterday…!!!

1 Like

Was a BBC Production… (BBC Iplayer Maybe?)
There are plenty of snippets on Youtube to whet your appetite though… maybe see one you like and follow the links on there…

1 Like

RTE like to spend our money on their wages so the budget for documentaries/show tend to be small but there are some shows,rather than wildlfe documentaries that i’ve watched are

How Animals work is a science and nature program i liked(some might find a bit graphic) and Wild Cities is really good but for all things environmental then Eco Eye is the one to watch.It’s been on tv a long time so if you look back over the years/series you’re bound to find something you like.

There are also some shows that look at all things Irish(people,places activities etc) that some might find interesting,although that might depend on age.Nationwide is everpresent on Irish tv but 2 shorter series are Creedons Atlas of Ireland and Creedons Wild Atlantic Way,both of which i made a point of watching each episode.

You’ll find them all on the rte player link i posted earlier

1 Like

Didn’t know that RTE is a public broadcaster. Just read a news about their funding trimmed.

Both public(TV licence) and private(adverts). Some of the top presenters get paid very well for such a small country, a bit like our politicians, although it’s difficult to tell which of either profession are more/less deserving of what they get.

1 Like
3 Likes

Read a brief report on the Mothers and Baby Homes commission. I knew it would be bad, but nevertheless stunned at the scale.

1 Like
1 Like

That’s not good, is it :grimacing:

Season 10 Omg GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

1 Like

Noo, what is wrong with these people? All 3 countries worked do hard to achieve the Good Friday Agreement. They can’t throw it all away like that.

1 Like

Unionisn/Loyalism is in a bit of a state ATM Maria. The DUP were the only political party not to support the agreement, now they’re in power (with Sinn Fein). The agreement is an international treaty between, and signed by UK and Ireland, though Johnston and his mob would soon ditch it (illegally, as they’ve shown they’re not averse to) if it was in their interest, Frost, (Johnstone’s brexit bulldog and doorman/bouncer) would do this is in the blink of an eye i think.
The only problem now is that with Biden in, and US being the main guarantor of the treaty, that could be tricky. Biden Is a strong friend of Ireland and has made it clear that UK shouldn’t mess around with it. If Trump had been re-elected, they’d prob already be planning rebuilding the military border in the North with the DUP driving the diggers.
The DUP led us down the brexit path, and sunk May’s deal, trusting Johnston who sunk them as soon as he had the majority even though they were warned he would. They’ve lost a lot of credibility and in the meantime the loyalist paramilitaries are in a bit of a vacuum. They used to kill catholics/nationalists so i’m not sure who they would go to war with this time if they do turn to violence again. They’ve stated they don’t plan to but it’ll be interesting to see how it pans out.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t they go after Catholics and Republicans again? Just curious.

I don’t know really, but that’s def a worry. Hoping that it doesn’t come to that.
The prob is that the ones threatening their place in the union now are primarily the UK and not nationalists so there’s prob a bit of head scratching going on.
TBH, I think everyone here wants the Irish sea border issue sorted out. It affects everyone pretty equally, but nationalists and many moderate unionists do not want any solution at the expense of the NI land border, and the GFA protects that.
I think its prob also fair to say that the unionists may be over playing the effect of the sea border to a degree, and under playing the advantage that the free access to the EU market gives us. They accepted that previously until they realised the negative press it brought from the hard liners.

3 Likes