Anfield and Kirkby

2 Likes

Love them or hate them what FSG have done to Anfield so far is great! It looks great - if a little unbalanced now :slight_smile:

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1666738297714901000?s=20

2 Likes

Yup only the hard of thinking still think we should have left Anfield.

Yes we could sell more tickets but these new grounds they just feel souless at times.

3 Likes

I thought/heard/read that Melwood ground would be converted into some social housing project.

I really don’t know why anyone would hate them? Apart from a cohort of twitter numpties, of whom nine out of ten are probably mancs or Everton fans on the wind-up, any sensible person will see that they have been excellent custodians of this club.

The enhancement work on the stadium (and the new training center) is their long-term legacy for us, and they have done a great job with that.

2 Likes

Well, to build a new Anfield or a different stadium, it doesn’t mean we would have a souless bowl like the Emirates or Allianz in Munich. Depends on the owners, what’s even possible to do in Stanley Park or wherever and how much influence to keep it original there would be.

Have to say that Spurs (even if it cost a bomb) have done a good job and also some other clubs. To get a place with soul, other than how it looks, it also needs time, new memories, etc. It’s not easy to have that feeling from day 1 if a stadium is brand new.

When you look at Anfield itself, all stands will have changed a lot over years and decades. The big principles are still there, it’s not a bowl, there are no filled corners. We can say that this is our home since forever, even if almost everything has changed.

Could still happen at some point in the future, maybe when we’re not here anymore. Should be pretty easy to build a very similar ground, but somewhere where it’s possible, with the freedom to have it as big as we want, etc.

But yeah, for now and a good while still, it’s good that we took Anfield to a new age and the rest of the infrastructure as well.

I’m only sorry that when we built the last two stands, there was either no European football at all (16/17) or no CL football (23/24).

It will be nice, can’t wait to go on my new tour when it’s all completed.

2 Likes

I just think you lose something. Probably helped Spurs that it remained where it was.

Arsenal was absolutely bleak when I went there and the Olympic Stadium isn’t great. Less said about the Ethiad the better.

Reebok to be fair when they got the crowds in was decent but the way the Liverpool designed the main stand the crowd noise flows down and off it.

Suppose if you just want a ground on the cheap you build it, if you want something to work you design it with an aim, the main stand did that for me.

Swansea is another that’s rocking when the crowds in.

2 Likes

Yeah, the Olympic Stadium example must be horrible for West Ham fans. Not only a totally new and different stadium, but far from their ex-area. That might take a whole generation before there are simply new traditions, memories, habits, etc.

1 Like

I think that was the intention but it never materialised. Possibly the timing didn’t help because it would have become available as soon as the pandemic pulled the rug on numerous building projects. I don’t know the full details of it.

Let the bitters at Everton whinge. The ones who dreamed of a new stadium. Their history be damned

Last paragraph…

Not sure if it is still in place now :person_shrugging:

4 Likes

Should be, in the corner between the Kop and King Kenny stand.

https://twitter.com/ZAGKAG1811/status/1668608555128111104?s=20

Fuck sitting here!

3 Likes

Does it come with subtitles …

Yep

However the long and short of it is, if we want the bigger the capacity, there is a need for higher/further out the seats.

The vertical cam doesn’t help either - our visual sphere is much wider than that shown.

1 Like

It’ll look a lot less steeper in front of a packed out stadium trust me.

I remember sitting in quite high up maybe few seats from the last row in U4 few months after the Main stand was done, it really wasn’t that bad and you still see everything clearly. All depends what view you wanna have, sitting in the lower KD stand so close to the pitch wasn’t for me, prefer a little more zoomed out than in when attending games.

3 Likes

… and legroom.

1 Like