Are we savoring these times enough?

and a nap

1 Like

probably because you still miss God.

Enjoying every minute of it. Savoring is a good analogy for it. Walk on…

1 Like

Savoring? Yes. I’m. I started to watch LFC games in 1996 and by then we had already stagnated. True, there were still moments of elation like The Istanbul or The Cup Treble but generally we were not inspiring. So the past few years have been a period of bliss. There are so many things which not only make me jubilant about the present but also gives some reassurance about the future.

The starting XI is glorious. The bench more often than not is enviable. Almost every season we have a young player staking claim in the senior squad. In Klopp we have perhaps the best manager of this era and if his tactical acumen wasn’t enough, what a wonderful human he is. We have a prudent owner. Anfield is being expanded and brand new Training Facility has been inaugurated.

We are playing good football and trophies are flowing in too. What’s not to savor?

1 Like

Thats not really a rant, more of an honest appraisal of modern football.

A game fucked up by money washing owners, delivered as a sanitised product by SKY, who make millions from it. A game played by spoilt young millionaires, for whom kissing a badge has as much honesty as a kiss of a whore. A game analysed on social media by people who never kicked a ball in their lives, apart from on PlayStation.

But its a great time to enjoy our team

4 Likes

These are the times my friends, savor them.

2 Likes

I realised in the mid-90s I should have enjoyed 1977-84 more. I’m not going to make the mistake a second time

9 Likes

I understand completely. A 2008-9 title for example would have been a bit wasted on me at that time of peak family life.

1 Like

The first season I really remember was 86. I do recall I hardly registered the league win in 1990, so routine had the enterprise become.

1 Like

Liverpool’s success has kind of fitted with my life, I wasn’t much interested in the early 10s, I started enjoying football and going again in the Rodgers title season, was at Uni during our CL win which fit well. If I was having kids then maybe but nah success in my late 30s is good, I can still enjoy it. I never really knew football before the PL so I guess that’s the difference and even mostly before Roman it was generally crap.

Not that Roman improved it, we just seemed to improve.

European trophies were the be all and end all for the teenage me. The double in 86 was great but…
Due to the ban, the loss to Wimbledon and then everything else that happened over the next 12 months, 1990 was pay back time.

1 Like

This is a very interesting topic and one that I often ponder.

When it looked we were going off to join a super league it tore my heart out in terms of my love of the sport. It was the people at the top of the club who tried to do that, and Ill never forgive or forget it, personally. Thank fuck everyone came together and stopped it (for the time being anyway).

Ive been a supporter since the 08/09 season so I’ve never seen us win the amount of trophies a lot of other posters here have. My first season we were doing obviously pretty well and as a 15/16 yr old I felt pretty excited that this is what it is like being a Liverpool fan (epic PL and CL knockout games).

Then the very next season things went downhill rapidly. The following season was exceptionally dark for our club, and we almost went under. I remember being teased and jeered during 2010 wearing my LFC top during PE at high school. Regardless I was still proud of our club and quietly seathed at the cunty fans of other clubs.

Fast forward to now and I won’t rewrite what others have all said, but i ABSOLUTELY echo the sentiments of those who feel like having to compete with the utter cunts who are City, Chelsea and Newcastle just makes it feel a bit… off. I would much rather we be in a battle for the title with Arsenal, Spurs, even United or Everton. I also agree with the sentiments of those who realise that the context of where you are in life plays a role in how invested you may be as a fan.

For example, I was at uni during our epic CL runs of 2017 to 2019 and I loved getting up before and (watching during) classes to watch those games. Now im working just about full time, so i wont have quite as much time to watch the games, but we’ll see how we go.

The one thing i am very grateful for is Klopp. I cherish having him as our leader. In my opinion he’ll be looked back on in similar way to Shankly. They were both truly “good men” in the best possible sense .

Of course, the football we play is just beautiful as well. This group of guys will go down in my opinion as the best group in our history. We have seen throughout football history that good moments come and go for every club. Who knows how long this will last?

So, am I savouring it? Yes, but I’m also devouring every moment.

4 Likes

Do you think it’s because you are on the opposite side of the world? The times I’ve lived in Aus the obsession has been less. I often wouldn’t be able to get up for every game, so if either miss the game entirely or watch on replay and you never feel you are living in the moment when you aren’t watching it live.

For @Redbj I’m not sure if he’s ever mentioned whether he’s lived in the UK in his best LFC years, but I think it’s really bloody difficult to be fully obsessed about a sporting team when you aren’t living it in the moment, with other supporters whether they are LFC supporters or support other teams. Being on the other side of three world just makes it difficult.

I know I’ve found it difficult to continue to keep up with my Aussie Rules team the Roos specifically because of this.

The only thing I’d say is that 18/19 and slightly prior have been my favourite years. Since we’ve won the title and with it happening during a pandemic without fans I guess that was a bit of a let down. We’ve broken the drought and I’d say I don’t plan my days around LFC any more. I had never experienced a title prior to this one (first ever time watching LFC for a full game that wasn’t the SBS highlight show was the 1996 FA Cup final).

I think a toddler ontop of two other kids also makes it important to share that time with them.

3 Likes

never lived in the UK but visited a few times.

absolutely agree with your point…id imagine if i lived there for a year or two during the Rafa years he would have got to know the real me even better and ended up agreeing to marry me

I think that’s part of it. The time difference is a right pain in the arse.

Late night games midweek (say 8pm) translate to 9am here. So can’t watch the match as I am at work. A Saturday 3pm translates to 4am which means I grab my phone and watch it bleary eyed not trying to wake my wife.

A few times I listen (and follow TAN) at work but for the most part I try to avoid any way I might inadvertently see the result (thats why I more frequently post in away from home section) . The good thing about NZ is Spark Sports its cheap and I can watch the game on demand when I get back. But your right not seeing it live is not the same. Goals feel more like a relief than a real excitement of watching it live.

But it started before that. I never warmed to Rodgers. I didn’t like him as a man. The less said about Hodgson the better. Kenny did a great job of healing the club, Klopp I think reunited the club. Brought back winning mentality. Brought back a lot of core values.

Klopps Cl win (Barca game is a real high point for me). That game for me defines Klopps era like no other (from TAA corner to Robbo with Messi). However shortly after I moved to NZ. Covid hit, so the lack of fans in stadiums I think also took their toll. It’s first time truly understood football without fans is nothing. With time zone difference it makes it doubly hard.

The other aspect is probably that I now have much healthier lifestyle. In the UK I lived near Middlesbrough and it was dreary as fuck. I planned 2-3 holidays a year and counted down the days till the next holiday. Football was what kept me going week to week. Now I am surfing/biking/walking every weekend. I don’t need that same release through football (if that makes sense).

4 Likes

I was a lad of 7 when we won the league in '90, and I didn’t care much about football. I’d take the ribbings from all the united supporters once I got to secondary school through the 90s, then came Houllier and that’s when I started really paying attention. I loved the 00/01 season with all the cups, and the 01/02 season where we nearly won it (When Thommo stood in after Houllier got taken to hospital). The next season was a real kick in the bollocks (aside from winning the league cup over United - I watched this with my United supporting brother in law, who had also just moved to the states the previous year). With Rafa, I remember me and my dad both being really excited, and the 05 CL final is still far and away my favorite ever Liverpool match.

I loved the Rafa years. He got under Ferguson’s skin like no-one else, and he put together one hell of a team, establishing us once again as one of the top contenders in England and Europe. That 08/09 season still haunts me to this day. Fucking Robbie Keane…

Anyway, it all went to shit quickly after that, but I persevered through Woy and even into Kenny’s tenure, and I thought going with Rodgers was a reasonable move to make at the time. He got us close in 13/14, but aside from that we weren’t really up to much.

Bringing in Klopp was the right move at the right time for this club, and I for one am savouring as much as possible. Even last season when we were shit, I still watched every match I could, and the job Klopp did to claw our way back up to 3rd after the season we’d had was remarkable.

4 Likes

I don’t get how you can be half hearted about something, but still go on an internet forum about it.

What happens when you are enthusiastic about something?

:thinking:

3 Likes

excuse me what GIF

Not you obvs. Some people were going on about how they aren’t that bothered about LFC because they have a job, or kids, or have to take the trash out etc.

:wink:

1 Like

if thats to me then i havent explained properly

im still very much interested, in love with LFC

but maybe being a bit older i realise the magnitude of what we are doing right now, whilst still not savoring it enough.

its pretty straightforward really.

i used to buy into ‘football is more important than life’ , now i know thats not true…unfortunately, for me only, i realise that when we are the best club side in the world, i discount man city becuase even though they have us for silver pots in the last few years, they are just a boring story, a boring team playing boring football infront of boring crowds…they excite no passion…i used to hate UTD with every fibre of my being, now we are even closer to success and being denied by that lot on the blue side, i cant even be arsed being overly upset…the very fact they are so consistent works against them…after a while even the most myopic have realised.

its like when you first really started to question exactly how good Messi is and you realise the stats are stacked…still a great player…but in a league that progressively got worse as he continued, around a dominant team set up to assist him to score…

i digress though…i love this liverpool, im just not enjoying the moment as much as i know i should…but i just cant drop everything and watch the match four times over, or get on the piss with my mates at 6am after a good win and take the day off…or go to the city for random games to watch in the pub at 2am…just wont happen…

6 Likes