Are we savoring these times enough?

Not you obvs. Some people were going on about how they aren’t that bothered about LFC because they have a job, or kids, or have to take the trash out etc.

:wink:

1 Like

if thats to me then i havent explained properly

im still very much interested, in love with LFC

but maybe being a bit older i realise the magnitude of what we are doing right now, whilst still not savoring it enough.

its pretty straightforward really.

i used to buy into ‘football is more important than life’ , now i know thats not true…unfortunately, for me only, i realise that when we are the best club side in the world, i discount man city becuase even though they have us for silver pots in the last few years, they are just a boring story, a boring team playing boring football infront of boring crowds…they excite no passion…i used to hate UTD with every fibre of my being, now we are even closer to success and being denied by that lot on the blue side, i cant even be arsed being overly upset…the very fact they are so consistent works against them…after a while even the most myopic have realised.

its like when you first really started to question exactly how good Messi is and you realise the stats are stacked…still a great player…but in a league that progressively got worse as he continued, around a dominant team set up to assist him to score…

i digress though…i love this liverpool, im just not enjoying the moment as much as i know i should…but i just cant drop everything and watch the match four times over, or get on the piss with my mates at 6am after a good win and take the day off…or go to the city for random games to watch in the pub at 2am…just wont happen…

6 Likes

And the world has changed and stays changing, and the older we get the more we get distracted by all the additions life has brought.

Remember the older supporters often celebrated alone at corners of the world, long before we all had thousands of online ‘friends’ that we could savage Lucas or love Torres with. We didnt know enough supporters to form a club, let alone discuss the match as it was happening. It was a much different experience. I remember being in awe that a lad in school had a Liverpool shirt. The envy! Every kid has every version now, as if thats a barometer of support.

Its just different and we savour things in different ways.

5 Likes

Sorry man, I was just messing around. Wasn’t aimed at anyone, least of all a top bloke like yourself.

1 Like

now your just making fun of me…

1 Like

I have a similar timeline as I only became a supporter after the 1990 title so the Houllier treble were the first real big highlights while we were still a level below United. The 05 and 07 CL campaigns and even more the nearly season of 08-9 were big memories that I thank Rafa for. I thought after 2009 I’d never get another chance to see us really compete for the league; 2014 was a shock and I was always pinching myself that the run would have to end - that the citeh game ecstacy was then undone by the Chelsea game was so cruel. Klopp has been different in that, for me, it’s all been about actually getting the league title. A different mindset where he made it seem like a realistic objective. I still think there is a little unfinished business there with the cathartic title parade missing so I think we need to win it again to set that to rest. We are simply the best side I’ve ever seen and I don’t know if any team of any era would be confident in beating us - so to ensure that the team gets the recognition it deserves I’m desperate for them to win another PL and CL. Currently I’m savouring each match (albeit usually not live as I’m in Oz and small kids and wife don’t appreciate 3am kickoffs) and enjoying the hope that this team will deliver and secure its place amongst the greats. Even if it doesn’t I’m planning to enjoy the rest of the ride this season as I don’t expect us to retain this level much longer.

3 Likes

I think for a lot of fans there is a cognitive dissonance between this…

And this…

The super league was many things to different clubs. For clubs like Real and Barca it was about finding a solution to their immediate cash woes. For clubs like Arsenal it was about short cutting their way back to the top table.

For Liverpool I think it was primarily about the unfairness we have to compete with. So an opportunity to redress FSGs perceived financial imbalance (Liverpool are one of two big draws in the league and this subsidises everyone else) and get more cash in to enable us to compete and also an opportunity to constrain the spending of everyone else, through effective FFP and salary caps (which was noted in the documentation and I would have thought FSG would have been behind).

The FSGs credit they have built an incredible structure at Liverpool and all things being equal we should be in year three of a decade of dominance. We’re that good. But that isn’t happening because there are two clubs in the PL and another couple in Europe who are just allowed to cheat. I can understand why the ESL, with it’s level playing field within the competition would appeal to John Henry. I think FSG, on sporting terms, fancy themselves against anyone. And they have to put up with The PL/UEFA/FIFA screwing over Liverpool, Utd, Arsenal etc by allowing money to be funnelled into certain clubs from dodgy owners, while also profiting massively from the prestige those names bring.

What took him, and the others, by surprise was how much people cared about the impact on footbal outside the competition.

4 Likes

Nooooo waaaaaay. Nobody would do that to you on here. Ever. Honestly.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Something for Pep to moan about crazy that we were below Everton is that the season when they won the Transfer window for the second time.

The only other comparable team which has made that level of improvement (with relation to improvement in the rankings) in such a short period of time is Ajax.

I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention that a significant portion of the current savoring is also down to how utterly shite and pointless Man United are these days. It makes our success all the more enjoyable knowing that their piss is boiling over there.

5 Likes

The thing I still really struggle to get my head around is how the two most successful clubs in the country have so rarely gone head to head. There was a period in the mid 60s when we alternated titles for 4 years, but other than that other than a couple of isolated season where both sides were competing towards the top of the table, generally if one of us was on top the other was miles off the pace. That is very odd that 40 years of combined dominance spanning multiple different eras can result in only ever about 10 years total in which we were both good at the same time.

4 Likes

Yeah that’s a really good point. There’s been the odd season or two where we were competing at the top with them, but outside of that it’s been either we’re both shite, or one or the other of us is.

Usually them though :wink:

1 Like

I posted my thoughts in the matchday ghread for Saturday’s Final.

What a time to be a Red.

:+1::nerd_face:

4 Likes

Although I know what you all meant, but honestly I have savoured every moment being a Liverpool fan even when we were winning shit. But yes, its extra sweet to be winning again, and winning in the ‘right’ way and not just buying our way to it.

4 Likes

I know that it was just an advertising slogan but, ‘This means more’ really is true of our club. No matter what City win, their accomplishments will be soured (and I truly believe that Pep, his staff and all the players know this) by the fact that they’ve cheated their way to it. :nerd_face:

4 Likes