Assisted dying… should it be allowed?

Personally, I think you do need it, purely to ensure that all legal aspects are covered to protect the person assisting with the dying that they can’t be prosecuted after, or have the family to sue them for wrongful death.

1 Like

Therefore giving the legal profession the opportunity to veto a medical decision?

Im taking my nan to Switzerland - just the shot in the arm she needs!

Seriously - its our life if we want to end it then we should be allowed.

3 Likes

Yup, that’s it in a nutshell. Who are we to decide what someone else wants to do with his or her life? Let them end it if this is their wish. Moral or religious qualms shouldn’t come into the equation when it comes to other people. We can only apply them for ourselves if we want to do that.

Anything else is an unbearable tyranny.

3 Likes

but this is the heart of the argument, when religious and philosophical tendencies get in the way.

1 Like

Religion should play no part in this process.
It has already done more than enough damage

2 Likes

Absolutely

This is where morals and ethics become skewed because of hanging hats on hope.

Actually. Thats a good title for an album

Hanging Hats on Hope
The ungrateful Dead

1 Like

Religion and oil, the 2 greatest causes of conflicts and wars.

Quite alright to refer to the oil industry as hydrocarbon cunts, but say a word about religion and there’s widespread outrage.

Society is fucked

1 Like

People are fuckwits.

Yes.
And very selective in their fuckwittery

You have just described life as an Everton supporter

2 Likes

wouldn’t that be suffering entirely, rather than essential?

Another prominent voice speaks out:

1 Like

He had a peaceful deaths at home after declining the Swiss option. Not sure why his brother needs to moan now. So often it’s relatives who are uncomfortable in seeing their loved ones dying in front of them and seem to think they would prefer to have them put down early. Well he’s welcome to fuck off to Switzerland when the time comes; I suspect he’ll be just like his brother and choose not to when the alternative is living longer surrounded by family and friends.

there’s nothing peaceful about a death from ALS. Maybe take some consideration to others in a thread like this before you say such things?

(I’m trying really hard to be nice about this, but really I’m raging at that statement)

I do volunteer work with MND sufferers; generally their end is peaceful.

If you believe that, then you’ll be in for a rude awakening if you ever get diagnosed with it.

I’ve seen it! Also to take this beyond my anecdotes and your anecdotal, research confirms.

Eg.

Have a lovely maple syrup day! :wink:

my mother has had ALS for 30 years. I’ve seen more patients come and go through the ALS Society of BC than I care to remember. We used to run the annual Walk for ALS up until Covid, raised $25-30,000 every summer.

my entire adult life has been spent in acute contact with people who have had this disease, and have this disease. there are no anectotes about it, and your experience with palliative care doesn’t take into consideration anything about what leads up to it.

I’m not even sorry to disagree with you on this. Its like saying the person who dies after a 3 year battle with cancer dies peacefully. Well no shit, there’s nothing left at that point…

It’s so goddamned painful to go through that I’m tearing up having to type this, 30 years of having to go through this. Watch my dad blow up his back and knees having to lift my mom in and out of her wheelchair multiple times a day. feed her, clothe her, bathe her, wipe her arse. doctors appointments and medications to track and now that she’s lived so long she’s had a heart attack from having such poor blood circulation from her muscles atrophying from lack of use. Not sure if you’ve ever had to pickup a dead body recently, but she’s ~70kg and almost completely limp for the past 10 years.

watch this. it’s only 15minutes of your life. But it’s what the reality is and if you think that’s anything but peaceful well then I’d hate to see what’s violent.

This was in the context of a conversation about end of life euthanasia where the family were railing about it while the MND sufferer decided not to use it. All I said was that the end of life with MND is usually peaceful for the sufferer.

I’m sorry for your experience - I have volunteered with MND patients at point of diagnosis and thereafter so I do appreciate the awful disease that it is - but nothing I was saying invalidates this and you seem to have conflated my point with something else. This isn’t the first time you’ve responded emotionally to me so I wonder if something else going on? Anyway it’s about to be the first day of spring in Canada and hopefully we both have lots of Liverpool to celebrate over the next three months.