Banning Transgender Athletes From Women's Sports

I’ve shown you video depicting how the physical features of the male physiology (height, strength) and even physical height statistics as to WHY that physiology is an advantage. that’s not anecdotal, in fact I question if you’re actually using that word correctly…

you can be sympathetic to the notion that trans-gender athletes can compete, and maybe in some kinds of competitions they can compete fairly. but to the sport of Athletics… my evidence bears more weight than your opinion AND it’s being reflected in the upper levels of sport now.

What you seemingly are missing is that this is not “my opinion”. That we are unable to state that transwomen do retain a competitive advantage over cis women after transitioning, is not my opinion but a statement of the current state of the scientific literature. The base of literature is not extensive so this is preliminary position can be easily changed, and we’re starting to see work in the area now that will provide more clarity. So it’s possible that in 5 years we’ll be able to say something different, but right now the science doesn’t really support the idea. What I have shared of my opinion is limited to what is the right policy in the case where the science is not settled (even if leaning in one direction).

I understand why the narrative you believe is so compelling, but what you are presenting to support it is not data. You are postulating outcomes (there is a competitive advantage) based on your personal underdeveloped understanding of the science. You have developed a position based on your feelings that you think has to be true and then using a series of anecdotes (and yes, I assure you I am using that word correctly) that dont actually demonstrate anything other the existence of trans women trying to compete against cis women and doing so with varying levels of success. Importantly, no one is able to present any examples of trans women really excelling at the elite level, which is what you’d expect if this advantage was so real. Hubbard the NZ weightlifter is about the closest example, but she was an elite lifter in the Junior divisions as a male in her youth before she left the sport under an personal crisis. Being able to reach the Olympics once she got straight in her personal life and was able to refocus on competition is not really remarkable or evidence of anything other than competing at the top level can be difficult when life is getting in the way.

3 Likes

because science

2 Likes

So, the research is limited and from a seriously limited sample size. The research is incomplete.
Until such time as research proves beyond doubt that advantage does not exist, then surely trans women should not compete in cis women sport?

What you determine to be anecdote is actual experience of cis women competing in an unfair environment, be that elite or not. That is lived experience that I seriously doubt is impacting on non biased research. But…it exists.

In fairness as well…whilst proper data is still unavailable the assumption that fairness exists is at best anecdotal? What you accuse others of using as proof is the best you can offer without proper evidence?

So whilst there is a case for ongoing research, the banning of trans women in cis sport is the ONLY way to determine fairness.

I have a close family member who us currently socially transitioning. And I have witnessed the challenges experienced by the person. But I am pretty sure (not anecdotally) that putting her in a boxing ring with a cis woman opponent would result in carnage. There is no doubt about that.

2 Likes

Swimming, Cycling, now Rugby League…Athletics likely to follow at the end of November.

2 Likes

People born male have a physical advantage over those born female - therefore I agree with the ban.

For the record - I have nothing against Trans folk - your life, do as you please. But in sport, it’s not fair.

3 Likes

It’s not the being born male that gives a physical advantage, but going through puberty as a male, as that is when males go through major increase of testosterone, physical growth ect.

If said athlete where to identify and go through the transition before puberty, then the gains would be fairly limited. Post puberty I think the gains will be significantly greater, but current medical advice is that transitioning should not start until 15 or 16, so will have already gone through puberty, or at least a large portion so will gain the benefits of the increased testosterone and physical growth.

I feel uncomfortable about this being the new dog whistle for Trump, Johnson and the far right. Yes, there are issues to be addressed, but these are minuscule compared to the societal inequality and growing hardship that this row is intended to distract from

8 Likes

Very much a conversation for a different thread.

1 Like

Yes but Caitlyn Jenner is a Republican who has sought to weaponise this issue politically, so…

1 Like

I agree 100% with you on how this is divisive and potentially a smokescreen for a much wider and more worrying agenda.
As I said earlier I have first hand experience of a close relative beginning the complex social, physical and emotional journey of transition. And trust me when I tell you the complexities are phenomenal.

And whilst you say the issues are miniscule, they are impacting on cis women competing in sport.
There is a reason why Mike Tyson never fought Barry McGuigan, because he was at a different physical level. Allowing trans women participate in female sport is akin to those levels of difference. @Limiescouse will argue that this is non evidenced anecdote, but the truth is that the research is not comprehensive enough to point either direction.
Whilst we await strong data on the impact of trans women competing in sport the bans should stand.

But…
We cannot allow the far right to control this agenda for nefarious reason, but we should be aware that in a contemporary society that fairness is central to competition.

2 Likes

Why not just have a third category?

2 Likes

That is what FINA are doing.

I don’t think that addresses the issue. Trans women are women, so the development of further categories only serves to contribute to isolation and incorrect identification.
And I am not be glib in the answer, I am unsure how to develop this further.
The central point is about competitive equity, and the evidence is not yet finalised.

Makes perfect sense to me. But you quickly get into the murky world of is a trans woman a woman? If so, you know the rest.

Edit @Quicksand beat me to it.

Frist: Trans woman are not woman but Trans woman.

Second: Trans woman should not competent with woman in competitive sports.

Third: nuff ‘said.

3 Likes

Fourth: You are so wrong on First.

1 Like

I think it’s massively unfair for women to be competing with transwomen in professional competitive sport events.

3 Likes