Ben DAVIES: 2021/22 (on loan at Sheffield United)

This signing is up there with LFCs most bizarre signings along with Sean Dundee and Steven Caulker.

1 Like

If we get £4 m for this lad, Ward will go up immensely in my esteem. :joy:

We’ve already recouped the £500k fee we paid PNE for him when Sheff United payed us that much to loan him last season. None of the fee add ons have been met, so PNE won’t be getting anything else out of us.

Reckon we end up somewhere like £1.5m upfront, then some 750k in add ons. Anywhere near £4m would be very good work!

1 Like

He was bought in to make sure we had enough numbers alongside Nat, Rhys and Ozan. As such, he did his job.

As @rupzzz points out, we also got a loan fee for him last season. If anyone offers anything for him, he should be sold.

1 Like

It’s only bizarre if you think every singing is signed for the same purpose. He was a low risk low percentage punt taken at a time that the effects of it working would have been magnified.

What are the alternative approaches that would have made more sense? We seemingly already knew we wanted Konate in the summer who was nit available (or ready to play) in that window. So do we rush to push through a signing for the first team we hadnt vetted as well, didnt rate as much as we did Konate, and then impeeded our ability to subsequently land Konate?

Let’s be honest* - we signed him so that Preston would be forced to move van den Berg to centre back.

*I’m joking

2 Likes

It seemed to happen before Matip being injured, effectively they moved for Kabak after that hence why it was all rushed.

1 Like

He was a regular for Sheffield, so I guess he got a good future at that/Championship level.

Wasn’t he just a signing for depth during our disaster season. Then it turned out he wasn’t even better than Williams and Phillips.

Way I saw it we signed him as he was cheap and would provide cover, then Matip was injured and we moved for Kabak among others.

There was no grand strategy behind his signing. A cheap punt when we were desperate who turned out not be very good. Fortunately Nat and Rhys stepped up so no great harm done.

Think that’s a very poor reading of the situation. He was injured repeatedly, and by Jürgen’s own admission, this hindered his settling in, especially once we managed to get a relatively settled combination at the back, it didn’t make sense to rock the boat.

1 Like

He was cheap 'cos no-one really wanted him as he just wasn’t performing at a good level. I don’t see on what universe he was ever more than a temporary stopgap who would have been playing way above his level. We were never convinced ala kabak but he was simply opportunistically available cheaply.

1 Like

Kabak was a no brainier on those loan terms, it’s also forgot without him I don’t think Williams and Phillips become the settled pairing we needed. Kabak bought Klopp some time to settle Phillips in and when Kabak was injured Williams stepped up and did the job, you have to remember it came at the same time as Fabinho returned in CM and there must have been one or two games that convinced Klopp that Fabinho was more suited in the middle than at the back.

I remember when Kabak got injured and I wrote off getting anything and yet Rhys had improved with his positioning by that time. Fact we got anything from that season was a miracle.

3 Likes
1 Like

Where is the £4 million, Julian :thinking:

Looking forward to Davies being an absolute machine for us this season then, if the conspiracy theory is to be believed.

2 Likes
2 Likes

9 posts were merged into an existing topic: Ben Davies (CB) to Rangers