Blud, it's the Arsenal shithouse FC thread, fam

The fans may want Conte, but can you see him going to a club that has no european football, and would need 2-3 seasons to rebuild a squad capable of challanging for it (let alone actually qualifying)?

Didn’t he join Chelsea when they had no European football?

2 Likes

Can’t remember where I got the previous figures from. This was Swiss Ramble’s most recent post (that I am aware of) on their situation. This is pre 2020/21 figures which isn’t as bad as I had thought (but my earlier figures may have been taking the 2020/21 figures into account?)

https://twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1368818990005559296

I thought they had Europa League that season - but could be wrong.

The difference though is Chelsea still had the nucleus of a strong squad to work with. Arsenal are weak as piss and will need probably 4-5 transfer windows to clear out the dross and get a decent squad together

1 Like

I think Arsenal struggle to attract conte.

They’ll pay him loads no doubt but he would get that at any club.

Let’s get this right, Arsenal will take 2-3 years to get back into the top 4, such is the gulf between the top 4 and Arsenal now.

Will conte fancy that? I’m not sure

1 Like

Arsenal are where we were with the CHAD summer transfer window. Some decent signings, but doesnt fill you with confidence.

5 Likes

Sanchez, Ozil, and now Aubameyang??? I seriously suspect someone in Arsenal is lining their pockets.

1 Like

No, just poor decision making borne out of desperation. Part of the problem has been the inconsistency or flip flopping in their strategy. For all the criticism when Wenger was there, at least you had an idea about the players they would sign & the formation and way they would play. That probably hasn’t been true for a while (including the tail end of Wenger at the club?).

2 Likes

Have Arsenal really spent £140M this summer already? Difficult to believe. I had the Sky transfer centre on earlier and couldn’t wrap my head around the list:

Tavares £8M
Lokonga £15M
White £50M
Odegaard £38M
Ramsdale £30M

3 Likes

Have they sold anyone yet??? Otherwise their net spends in last five seasons would be £360mil.

It’s a very sad thing that Claude died, miss that guy on AFTV.

1 Like

38m for Ramsdale?

Wow I haven’t been following it, Ramsdale is frankly not even worth 20m.

And Leno is not that bad, baffling why they are replacing him and paying 38m is doing that.

1 Like

I get your point. But when you are paying someone 3-4 times, rather than 25-50%, more; those people making such calls are stealing a living.

Auba at 35 million is a steal

2 Likes

There’s quite a few to choose from there. The guy at the front in the yellow Arsenal shirt and his fat girlfriend, both have taken time out from stuffing a burger in their faces to stick two fingers up at James. He really needs to grow up.
The guy a few seats along on the same row doing an impersonation of a gorilla.
I think my favourite is the guy in the white Armani shirt. He looks like a big angry baby after spitting his dummy out.

1 Like

The buying club gets the money, right???

The Arsenal rot started with the contract for Ozil just as the United rot started with the contract for Rooney.

Although both those situations may well have been a consequence of the poor transition planning both clubs did as the hegemonies of Wenger and Ferguson neared their end.

I do find it extremely satisfying that Ferguson is principally to blame for United’s decline, whereas I feel sorry for Wenger. He is a decent man who was doing all he could to run a club properly despite the infighting amongst the Board. When he lost Dein, his greatest ally in that endeavour, it was curtains.

3 Likes

it was 3-4 times because his contract was ending and so it includes an amount that would have been payable as part of a transfer fee if they had been signing him from another club. They didn’t want to lose him on a free, as he would have been difficult to replace with similar quality and his goals had up to that point been a key factor in them staying relatively competitive.

If you look at their other signings made in recent years, they don’t inspire confidence that they could bring in another decent forward.