Blud, it's the Arsenal shithouse FC thread, fam

1 Like

“This isn’t a direct dig at Arsenal”

Definitely not about to post a direct dig at Arsenal with your next sentence then.

The Premier League hasn’t really ever stopped any club from spending what they wanted, that goes far beyond this season when Arsenal also spent just shy of 180m on new players last season…The Premier League couldn’t give 2 shits if City ran away with the league by Christmas so I don’t quite get his point.

1 Like

I think that’s actually his point. To most people an underdog would be one who has barely spent anything (probably doesnt have the resources) but in the premier league given the spend by city and Utd the sizeable spending by an unfancied club like Arsenal doesnt get noticed.

I dont think the comment was meant specifically about Arsenal just a useful example.

The point is obvious. Are Arsenal really underdogs or have they been underachievers?
Leicester were underdogs.

1 Like

Yes they’re really underdogs, Leicester did something much more than underdogs they were the impossibledogs, they did something we see once or twice every generation. The term underdog is vastly overrated and its meaning sinks by the day…I see underdogs winning 5-10 times out of a hundred every week.

5-10 times out of a 100 every week? Do you even read what you write?
Arsenal are not underdogs any more than we are.

Well not now they’re not, obvs. Neither were Leicester midway through the that season when everyone saw they were the real deal.

I’m simply explaining the difference to you between an underdog and a miracle.

Definitely under achieving for years.

First Trossard and now Caicedo.

Might have been good so far this season but depends on how much their next manager (Arteta) can get out of them anyway.

But two players who push for a move in January in that manner doesn’t look like the best attitude. Might backfire big time.

1 Like

Don’t think it necessarily means much.

We have examples at Liverpool who pushed for a move in January and did worse things, still turned out to be successful (I mean more incoming transfers now).

I especially remember Sturridge being branded in the media as some sort of a bad egg, we quickly saw that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the guy, only injuries.

Trossard had 6 months left on his deal, so it was actually a good deal for Brighton. And Caicedo, well, yeah, that’s what happens sometimes.

Arsenal might struggle to make Top4 again next season and then their current star players could be tempted to do a Trossard/Caicedo themselves. Why? Because their current Club signed their teammates like that.

1 Like

It was the same with Mane and Vvd. Its show they have ambitions, group of nice guys win nothings.

Trossard is an odd one, outside of our games I’ve never been impressed.

Funnily enough, I’ve always rated him as a decent player, only a poor, poor finisher (which is something you could likely apply to majority of Brighton’s squad). I think he’ll fit right in at this Arsenal team - they have goals throughout the squad but could definitely use another intelligent, committed attacker off the bench, which he showed against Man United.

3 Likes

I just don’t see much in him to be honest, maybe I’m judging him unfairly on those appearances at the World Cup that stunk.

He’s not great, but I think has enough that he could be an effective player for them. He’s not going knock any of Martinelli, Saka or Ødegaard out of the team, but it gives them a much needed options of the bench for those roles. It strikes me as a little big like a Yossi type signing for them. Not one the fans were likely clamoring for, or even one many would have understood the moment they first heard the news. But he’s likely to come in do enough to justify the move. I dont know in reality how often we did it, but I remember when we signed Rosenthal in the spring of 90 my uncles were all pissed at it being a “textbook liverpool move” to bring in just the right player to help them get over the line in a title chase

Trossard for them is like Gakpo for us. Probably won’t start in the perceived best team when everyone is fit and healthy, but will see plenty of action and give them depth to fight on multiple fronts.

Arsenal are never a Leicester. The size of the clubs is different. So is the pedigree.

Arsenal may or may not win the league, but they should be poised to be there or thereabouts for the next few years. It will be very competitive though, as next season there will be seven sides who will fancy their chances for top four or better.

Leicester were never going to be in that top group for any length of time, hence the flash in the pan tag. Arsenal will be in that top group moving forwards.

2 Likes

I’ll wager they won’t fighting for the title. Top 4 yes.

£12m fee agreed with Chelsea for Jorginho (was in the last 6 months of his contract).

Arsenal’s central midfielders now:

Partey 30 in the summer, Xhaka 31 in the summer, Jorginho 31, Elneny 31 in the summer (contract expiring, but they do have a +1 option), Sambi 23.

1 Like

I’d have been on that to be honest.