Blud, it's the Arsenal shithouse FC thread, fam

Maybe I’m just remembering the last couple of years, but he always seemed fairly lazy and never put much effort into tracking back or helping out the midfield defensively

Even if you look at his time at Real under Jose when they were successful and he seemed to be important to the team, he was never far from criticism. The fact Mourinho played him as often as he did seems to belie some of the more reactionary criticism of him, but he always had a tension with him where it felt like he was always going to be the fall guy. When he left and joined Arsenal he had pretty much the same experience. It’s not difficult to understand how a person with financial security can even subconsciously decide to play down to the criticism they are getting - why work hard every day just to still get it in the neck? The criticism is a lot easier to take when even you know its justified.

I think that was because he had a face like Peter Lorre.

1 Like

Ozil peaked around the time that the ethereal, light-weight, uber creative attacking midfielders were all the rage. He was probably the best of the bunch. By the time he joined Arsenal though it was already starting to die out as tactics evolved. Other players like David Silva managed to evolve to stay current by Ozil wasn’t able to, unfortunately.

You fast-forward to today and those players are rare.

He was the best passer of the ball I’ve ever seen I think, certainly in terms of pass selection and execution in the final 3rd. As good as the likes of Silva and Messi are/were, I think Ozil was better.

He has obvious limitations too. For the years he was at his best, his positives outweighed those negatives. Once his level dropped he did become a massive liability in the tougher games, and there’s no better evidence of than a couple of hammerings at Anfield. The 5-1 win under Rodgers was a performance from Ozil that sticks out as comically bad.

Still, a fantastic player. I’m glad he never played for Liverpool but I enjoyed watching him.

there was a thread for that, was it TIA??

1 Like

Does the wunderkind begin to fade to hologram?

So predictable from Arsenal - I just thought they’d drop points and thus the title by losing to Man City and Newcastle, rather than West Ham.

Arteta and Lampard share 1 thing in common as managers.

Their career highlight so far has been shouting at Klopp…smug twat.

3 Likes

John Cross has also conceded that City are going to win it and Arsenal threw away a 2-0 twice in a week lead :frowning_face:

Who on earth is John Cross and why does their opinion matter?

He is respected sports journalist for the Daily Mirror and I like his reporting

What a ridiculous, not to mention mathematically inaccurate, conclusion. If city win all their games now it is theirs, but one of those is against Arsenal. Arsenal not losing there still keeps them in the driver’s seat.

4 Likes

Arsenal are playing City, Chelsea, Newcastle and Brighton. Doubt they win more than two of those.

Obviously pushing the narrative Arsenal 100% get nothing at City + taking into account the fixture schedule ahead of the 2…whilst inaccurate, isn’t ridiculous.

Arsenal have to win against City or they lose on goal difference

The gap is 4 points not 3.

Disappointing draw for Arsenal, but to pretend that the wheels have fallen off is going overboard. They are still in the driver’s seat. If they match Man City’s results for the rest of the season, including drawing when they play them, Arsenal will be champions.

With all that said, I do expect Man City to win the league, and it will be another illegitimate affair.

I’m just hoping they don’t get the one they really want.

5 Likes

It’s down to the game at the ethiad.

A draw gives them a chance.

Also Arsenal have looked poor since the Europa League exit.

This clearer fixture list rarely has the benefit that is expected.

1 Like