Blud, it's the Arsenal shithouse FC thread, fam

Different than you obviously

Dropped 7 points to Everton West Ham & Soton but hey lets make excuses for them why they haven’t bottled it.

If it was any other team bar City…would you really be feeling the same way?

The concept of ‘Bottle’ is a weird thing. It exists only the banter-verse, and as such can fuck off. But what is it. How do you coach it? How do you prevent it?

For me, I see a team who have not that much depth beyond a great first eleven, running out of gas and faltering at the finish line. They look goosed to me. Just like we did at the end of the 13/14 season.

3 Likes

Why is there such clamour to state they’ve bottled it. Just to point and laugh?

Cheap and easy to poke fun at them - but the reality is we should be raging that City have once again cheated their way to a title at the expense of a very well put together football team that haven’t got the squad depth to compete.

It’s all good - we will be calling one of NUFC or MCFC bottlers every year soon and no one else will get close.

5 Likes

Yeah Duhhhhhhh they bottled it

Mocking Season 1 GIF by Friends

They Bottled it big time, it was our second half performance at Anfield that started the doubt and it festered and cost them the title. Remember the first half at Anfield singing we are going to win the league :sunglasses:

& that’s fine if that’s how you see it but to me sounds like a whole bunch of excuses, we failed under Rodgers…he was tactically inept and went gung-ho at Chelsea when all we needed was a draw…going 3 up at Palace to not win the game I won’t even go into it was that humiliating.

How do you go on to beat Newcastle & Chelsea comfortably after dropping 7-8 points if you’ve “run out of gas”.

That doesn’t answer the question as I suspect you well know.

1 Like

Was thinking the same.
3 results in a row, against us, West Ham and Southampton has cost them this title, due to a combination of poor/naïve coaching and on field game management/performance.
That 3 game collapse could quite easily be construed as bottling it.
Very similar to our capitulation against Palace in 2014.

Lacking courage.
You can have belief, but you can lack courage.

I don’t believe Arsenal lacked courage, they may have stoppped believing in themselves, but the Newcastle win certainly didn’t lack courage.

Edit
For clarity, and to explain the pedantry.
Our definitions differ.
Bottling it is a derogatory reductionist term.
I don’t think Arsenal deserve that
Much as I dislike them.

I hate the phrase “bottles it”. Boiling down an entire season to two words that dismisses everything that went into the campaign.

It also implies that not winning the league is a failure, which given where Arsenal were this time last year is just not true.

8 Likes

100% agree

But we have to fucking define everything.
And condense it into bite sized pieces because we need instant answers
The Stevie G slip that defines a season for example.

1 Like

Arsenal built themselves in that position all by themselves, their fans all jumped onboard the bandwagon train wind milling their dicks around in the air singing they were gonna win the league…no one else did that for them, no one forced them to mock the other challengers to City in seasons gone by…they did that all by themselves and now it’s all come back round to bite them on the arse & people actually FEEL SORRY for them?

Real football is not a computer game.

Trying to settle for a draw against Chelsea would have been stupid. They were not built for that. Taking a team that has got themselves in position to win the league by attacking the living shit out of everyone and asking them to suddenly defend deep was never going to work. What do you think Rodgers was going to do? Go to the teams Attack/Defend slider and drag it all the way to Defend?

As for Palace, Luis Suarez went and picked the ball out of the net on three nil. It is still the best thing I’ve ever seen on a football pitch. It was glorious.

The simple fact is that had we been ‘sensible’ against Palace and taken the 3-0, City would have still won league on goal difference. The only way we could do it was to run up cricket scores against Palace and Newcastle. It was definitely the right thing to do.

Our team in 13/14 was very potent going forward, but also very wild and not on quality foundations I don’t think. This Arsenal side has got more potential to keep a high level in coming seasons. More clearer idea, more stable, not such a difference from a Suarez to a Flanagan, more in line from back to front in all phases of the game.

1 Like

You’ve described the fans here - not the Arsenal team. So the fans bottled it? Or the fans built it up and that’s the players fault, who bottled it?

2 Likes

He hasn’t a clue

1 Like

The manager, players and fans are all complicit in their bottle job, no one else to blame but themselves…players are expected to live up to the (perhaps false?) expectations their fans put on them…and they buckled, they flopped, they shat themselves. They were in pole position…yet bottled it.

Fans represent the club as well btw, that goes hand it hand.

Guess Arsenal (fans/club etc) can sleep easy knowing that they’ve not bottled it as much as us in the last 5 years then. We must be the ultimate bottlers.

Why does it always need to be flipped back onto Liverpool? Arsenal could never dream doing the things we have the last 5 years. Wouldn’t be calling them bottle jobs if they finished 2nd on 90+ points or going the season only losing 1-2 games.

This is a thread to discuss things Arsenal and their bottle job finale to the season.

1 Like