Blud, it's the Arsenal thread, fam

A point at Man City is a good point in the grand scheme of things. But there’s merit in saying Arsenal were a bit cowardly there, and didn’t exactly go for it.

We are top of the league and Arsenal could have been. Still lots of twists and turns to come, but today’s results were what I wanted.

2 Likes

And could have kicked City out of the title race with a win.

2 Likes

Is it a good point though in the grand scheme. They have gone from been top on GD to now been 2 points behind. The only sensible thing Carragher has said in recent years is with how consistent City and Liverpool have been a draw in now 2 points lost not 1 gained.

Both teams could have showed more intent. City for a large part where content to pass the ball without any meaningful output. That’s their equivalent of parking the bus. Guardiola’s defensive form of tiki-taka if you will pass the ball around in the center of midfield and restrict yourself from attacking. By the time any attack happened , Arsenal had their men back solidly behind the ball.

It’s more difficult to do the exact same thing against us because we hit the opponents with pace.

In some distant prison or mental institution, DT is shouting:

“Nah nah nah blud…tha pashun…it’s killin’ me Robbie…right ‘ere.”

1 Like

We at least have destiny in our own hands, but even with a 2 point cushion I am still a little envious of Arsenal’s form, if I’m allowed to be that on here.

The last time the other team scored first against them in the PL, the year still read ‘2023’. Mentally that’s a huuuuge advantage at this time of year where the pressure can easily get to a team. What’s more, they haven’t really squandered those early/first leads and have put teams to the sword.

Our form is nothing like that. Tremendous amounts of hard graft, which would make this title far more enjoyable than 19/20 if we manage to do it, but with our form the way it is, there feels like there are a million more ways to slip up for us than Arsenal given the way they are doing their business.

I am really not meaning to underplay what we have and are achieving, but I really hope we can continue to ride out luck and put as much heart into every remaining PL fixture to get us over the line. I’m a bit of a pessimist and I am still seeing a number of tricky fixtures for us. It’s impossible to have any excitement yet.

7 Likes

It is always difficult to separate how you see another team play versus one you care about. I for one am past the point of enjoying this season. When Welbeck scored yesterday, I was in borderline meltdown. Maybe Arsenal fans are seeing all sorts of failings that we don’t, and see Liverpool as this relentless side that is just going to grind their opponents down, while their team cannot seem to hold a lead. But that first goal factor really does stand out.

4 Likes

Yup, when we equalised I had an odd thought about how other fans must be like “it’s evitable now”.

We don’t see it as we are living in the moment and no doubt some of our games are dull for other fans but we will all have the same concerns. I thought we played really well yesterday to be fair.

2 Likes

It’s a good point, how we see ourselves compared to how other fans see us. We see the up close warts and all, including harsh and unfair treatment by the officials.

Other fans see a juggernaut that seems to keep on winning, almost as if Klopp will not be resisted in his last season, even winning a trophy with kids, and there is a near inevitability about us. As for officiating, most other fans would say all teams get bad calls, so get on with it.

We are all experts on the details in our own house, but from the outside looking in, others see more of a sweeping narrative, and the feel I get is that other fans seem to think it is Liverpool’s year, with the Klopp factor being paramount in that. Even on tv here in the States, they were quick to crown us as favorites now, after yesterday’s results.

I’m sitting there thinking not so fast. Still a long way to go.

3 Likes

Arsenal fans raging about City beating them to the title…

Liverpool fans:

2 Likes

I didn’t enjoy Arsenal stumbling due to our own debacle and some other dire things. This did put a smile on my face.

2 Likes

PL games missed through injury this season:

Raya - 0
Gabriel - 0
Saliba - 0
White - 1
Rice - 0
Saka - 2
Ødegaard - 2
Trossard - 1
Martinelli - 3

It’s a phenomenal availability record. Smart recruitment? Game management? An exceptional sports science team? Luck?

Playing style? Resting in possession? I’d like to see the Cheaty numbers also, as they bore everyone to death with their possession tactics. Interestingly, Slot favours a slower build up. Well, slower than Klopp anyway.

PEDs?

Our coverage claimed that Saliba is on course to become the first Arsenal player to play every minute of a permier league season. So it’s likely all the above plus likely more.

Protective refereeing? I think about some of our issues and see that in games where a tackle has put one of our players out, even if the tackle wasnt worthy of a red it was at least done in the context of a game where you’ve thought “fuck, the ref is letting a good amount go today” that I just dont see Arsenal and City subjected to.

1 Like

:syringe::syringe::syringe:

1 Like

:moneybag: :dollar: :euro: :pound:

1 Like

As much as i hate City itd be hilarious to see arsenal lose league.
They could end up winning something like 15 of last 17 and it wouldnt be enough.

Been there got tshirt…twice!

3 Likes