Blud, it's the Arsenal shithouse FC thread, fam

Nah, no thanks.

We have enough ageing/slowish midfielders and big numbers, some needing to offload soon.

Arsenal have a better (more possession based) style for him and play a double pivot structure.

1 Like

Built to win now.

Wanted Mudryk, ended up with Trossard.

Wanted Caicedo, alternative was Onana, ended up with Jorginho.

Find me one connection/link between all those players.

:joy:

2 Likes

The Kroenke’s been taking transfer advice from Henry & Werner.

Yeah was going to make the same point - gping from the energy and pressing ability of Caicedo to the slow and technical Jorginho doesn’t really have any joined up thinking that I can find.

This is the kind of move that I’m glad we have mostly avoided oflver the last few years (both Trossard and Jorginho tbh) - just guys who are going to come in and take up a squad position wothout doing very much on the pitch. Fast forward two years and they’ll both likely be gone with very minimal impact in a footballing sense.

Biggest impact the Jorginho signing will have is to block Charlie Patino’s development.

2 Likes

Although it changes sometimes.

We wanted Brandt, ended up with Salah. Wanted Jorginho at the time, ended up with Fabinho. Wanted Tchouameni, ended up with… Arthur.

:joy:

1 Like

Elneny looks to be out for the rest of the season. Partey went off injured on the weekend, meaning they have 2 midfielders in Xaka and Sambi.

For £12M, bringing in Jorginho makes sense if Partey is going to be out for more than 2-3 games. And according to my Gooner flatmate, Arsenal have recently stopped listing player injuries, so if they are after a CM, then it suggests that they have long term injuries that need covering til the end of the season

2 Likes

Rumours now that they might loan Sambi out to Palace.

This example doesn’t quite work though? We wanted Tchouameni for the long-term, and we were quite happy not to bring anyone in until another target became available (presumably), while Arthur was only brought in when it looked that we would need extra legs in midfield. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Tchouameni primarily a defensive midfielder? Arthur was brought in after Henderson and Thiago both suffered injuries of indeterminate duration…

1 Like

It was a joke, although also correct in one way.

:slight_smile:

To be fair, I didn’t know much about the other players so I automatically assumed you were serious…

I need a humour refresher course.

Smacks very much of a signing to ensure they can see this season out, and worry on their long term stuff this summer. For the price, sensible enough. Could be the difference between winning and not winning the PL for them.

I’d not be happy with him coming to our squad, as others have noted, we need young legs, not more old legs - would rather we carry on with Baj and nurse our way through and sort this shit show out in the summer with this supposed “war chest” of £250m.

2 Likes

To be fair, they also have to think about next season. This season, Arsenal are already on good course to have a successful campaign, over expectations. Title or not.

Last January, they got a bit carried away cleaning the squad and ended up a bit short, that cost them CL football.

Now, they have to prepare now but also for next season, when they will have CL football but also want to remain competitive in the league.

Arsenal picking up some relatively cheap bodies now even if not long term solutions seems a reasonable option given how short they could find themselves with one or two problems. Jorginho is an odd choice though as it’s difficult to see how he fits in. It seems to be under appreciated how well Arsenal have worked off the ball this year and every member of that midfield puts in a shift. That was never his game, certainly not at this age, and I dont see how they fit him in the side without significant adjustments to the way they play.

2 Likes

Can’t just say title or not as if it means nothing. Short term success is important too, not every signing needs to be made with 5 years plus in mind.

Jorginho seems to be a sensible signing at that price if they’re not getting their first choice targets. Same for Trossard too.

5 Likes

Gary Mc would be ideal for us right now.

:grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

Until 2027.

Martinelli was more or less expected, but Saka will be an interesting one. Arsenal’s chances are probably higher now with the season they’re having.

1 Like

I’d love Saka at Liverpool. I would imagine Arsenal will pay him a lot in a new deal, and he will stay there, but you never know.

1 Like