Blud, it's the Arsenal thread, fam

Take Suarez aside , we still should have won the league.

2 Likes

Bottled against Liverpool after leading 2-0 at half time… Check

Bottled against Southampton (relegation strugglers)…check

Idiocy on display against city yesterday…check

If this isn’t bottling , then what is ?

1 Like

That is a logical fallacy - treating the alternative choice as necessarily having been better without having to, or being able to, demonstrate that is true.

It’s increasingly looking like they’re not going to have enough to get over the line. It is very possible it is because their key players have been overplayed. But playing clearly worse players more often isn’t exactly a sure fire recipe for getting a better outcome.

I agree with you in terms of what this “success” means for next season. I would not expect them to meaningfully improve over this season, but I dont think that should impact how Arteta’s performance this season is judged

2 Likes

They’ve obviously had a tough spell and it looks like the end of their title aspirations now but I don’t think we should be revelling in their downturn.

We’ve been there. We know what it’s like when City go on these relentless runs. The pressure ramps up and one slip and you know that’s pretty much it, two and you’re done.

Since the turn of the year City have dropped 8 points. Since drawing with Forest on the 18th of February they won 7 on the bounce in the league, scoring 18 and conceding 5. That’s not to mention swatting away teams in the CL and FA Cup.

It’s a pressure cooker and I’m not surprised to see Arsenal drop some points. Pre Abu Dhabi investment at City that run of results wouldn’t have necessarily cost them the title in the same way we all think it will now. The other team would be dropping points here and there too.

Sadly, with City in the frame perfection is required and that’s an awful lot to expect of a team, especially one as young as Arsenal. I think they should be applauded for making City work for it and I hope this is the start of them challenging again on a more regular basis.

Unfortunately, with the resources City have, the manager and the set up they’ve got they’re going to be doing this year in year out unless someone can get a real jump on them early in the season and they give up chasing to some degree.

Speaking to a mate who supports Arsenal, he said his biggest fear now is that this team spends a couple more years going toe to toe with City like we did before Pep leaves and they come for Arteta to replace him.

The only hope for us all is that these charges stick and they’re properly punished.

3 Likes

Hahaha he shouldn’t worry about City coming for Arteta. Overated, flash in the pan. I’d be made up if Pep left and City went for Arteta.

Not really. I’m not saying he should have rotated his whole team. I’m saying he ran players into the ground. You yourself said Odegaard has looked tired. You can pick and choose who and when to rest a player.

Replace with whom? Tierney and Holding are two of the supposed higher caliber players outside of the first team and they have both struggled badly in this recent run of bad results. I think they might have hoped for more from Vieria this year, or maybe didnt expect the standard he’d have to reach to be an effective stand in to be as high as its been.

Their strength has been a very good first XI that for more of the season they’ve been able to select without changes. Their weakness is having very little beneath that. Now he’s having to use them we’re seeing just how problematic that weakness is

2 Likes

Absolutely. Their squad isn’t good enough. But, that’s what a top class manager does, gets a player to do a job. Think Wes Brown, Phil Neville, even Pep can do it, Akanji, Nathan Ake etc.

I don’t buy the he had to stick with the same 11. Logical fallacy? I don’t have to prove, it’s there before our eyes. In the end it’s just opinions. You seem to think there was nothing he could do a little differently, I think there was. You can’t prove the alternative would have been worse. Every man and his dog knows that isn’t possible for a whole season. The wheels were coming off sooner or later.

Anyway, I never thought they could win the league this season (still don’t even though it’s not over)and I don’t think they’ll fight for it next season. No shame in that at the moment under Arteta but I don’t think he’s good enough for the next step. Just my view.

They done a proper spursy, sometimes it’s the manager and with Arteta it definitely is, first half of the season they got away with all sorts of shithousery,surrounding the ref constantly throughout every game Arteta trying to wind up opposition managers waving imaginary cards, glad they changed the ruled and started booking players for trying to intimidate the refs. For me Arteta is not that good they are a real momentum team when things start going wrong he struggles.

1 Like

Last season I thought they were left a bit too short post-January transfer window. They had the top 4, but in cleaning the place (which was needed), they were just left with too few players. In hindsight, maybe a bit too radical, but it possibly also played a part for this season.

This season, I have nothing but respect and for the jump from 5th to leading the league for the almost the whole season and just possibly falling short behind City.

Of course, to lose the league from such a position and end the season with no trophies is a bad feeling at a club like Arsenal.

But I think they can be optimistic for the first time in a while about their situation in the first team.

It’s the second youngest side in the league that has made a big step. Not massive numbers, but still some players to sell/offload, it looks well balanced.

Whether they win it or not, they can calmly continue their work of cleaning the squad and improving the team. Surely there’s a few pieces in that first XI that can be improved. Have someone else instead of Xhaka, they had bloody Holding starting the last few games, etc. And not only adding a few players, but growing as a group.

It’s been a while since I saw Arsenal know what they want to do in all phases of the game, have a complete circle what happens from sequence to sequence.

Dear Ars, please don’t be an ars tonight.

“blud, stop now yeh fam…the title’s done now cuz you dun’no fam” :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

https://twitter.com/SpursSongSheet/status/1657798462925160455

#Bottlingit.

https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1657803572703100929?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1657803572703100929|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=

1 Like

Embarrassing how masses of fans left the stadium early after the season they had.

Maybe they bottled it. Maybe they overachieved all season but remember they have many young players and many players who joined not long ago and stuff like that tells a footballer ‘thats not where I want to stay for too long’

Watch and see how they fall apart next season.

10 Likes

Arsenal Hotspur.

1 Like

ArsenSpur.
So arsely.

PL results since January

Liverpool 10-3-3
Arsenal 9-4-4

Well said, poor standard of support IMO

1 Like

I really dislike Arteta and Arsenal…
But I see no fun in belittling them in a race against serial cheaters.

These cunts have 140 charges “pending” and can still compete for a treble.
There is something rotten when that is accepted and something equally rotten when we celebrate another clubs vain attempt to stop them

9 Likes