Blud, it's the Arsenal thread, fam

A collectors item. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

Petition to rename this thread

Blud , we’ve bottled this again! Didn’t we fam.

1 Like

Fell short of title winning standards. That’s what I would say about Arsenal. In the grand scheme of things, big improvement season on season. Young team with years left on the clock.

If we are going to say bottled it, then the same insult might come back at us. Almost the quad, followed up by might not even finish in top four? Did we bottle it? Nah, it was just a team coming to the end of a cycle and a new one starting to emerge.

2 Likes

I think you can only ‘bottle it’ if you were capable of winning it in the first place and you throw it away needlessly. The PL is brutal. The final couple of months hits the fans, the club, the management both mentally and physically. It was always on the cards the Arse would blow-up or run out of steam before crossing the finishing line first.
Instead of saying they ‘bottled-it’ surely it would be more accurate to simply say… they were just not good enough to win it against having a cheating fucker like Fraudiola in the race.!

3 Likes

It’s what Arsenal do next, do they take this on and go forward or not. There results recently have been bad but those Spurs fans can shut it.

1 Like

I don’t think they bottled it anymore than we bottled it under Rodgers. Both teams couldn’t cope with certain players missing at vital stages (us with Suarez at the beginning of the season and Henderson through suspension, and arsenal with Saliva) and lost to a more experienced squad in those situations.

I don’t like the term bottled. It undermines months or years of planning and hard work of getting to the point of success. That doesn’t mean I’m not glad they have lost top spot late on. Good for someone else to experience the feeling of losing out to a club that essentially cheats.

Nor do I like arsenal. Their players performing Swan Lake every match (always the same ones), the time wasting, the attitude and behaviour of their manager bugs me.

This arsenal squad are definitely on stronger ground than our squad under Rodgers. But there are more teams capable of winning the league now compared to then. And I don’t think they’ll be as close next season. It’s hard to believe ourselves and Chelsea will both be so off the pace next season. I feel this was arsenal’s golden ticket and they let it fall and blow away in the wind.

3 Likes

Arsenal didn’t bottle it. At the start of the season most would have had them somewherearound 4th-7th, the fact that they have pushed the cheats as long as they have before running out of gas shows what a great job Arteta has done this season, particularly considering they have one of the youngest squads in the league.

The big question is can he back it up and do it again next season?

2 Likes

They did bottle it, how many points were they ahead of shitty, Bobby started the rot and now they have dropped so many points its out of their hands.

1 Like

Arsenal haven’t bottled anything. They’ve hit their worst run of form all season whilst City haven’t dropped a point since mid-feb.

They started phenomenally strong and have regressed from that early season form to something approaching more the expected norm. They haven’t cracked. They haven’t lost their heads. There’s been no Keegan-esque meltdown or silly red cards. They’ve not shrunk into their shell or wilted under pressure. They’ve played how they have all season and have dropped a few points and will still end up comfortably in the 80’s and 15+ points clear if third.

What people should be talking about is the run City have put together to end yet another season on a winning streak that really should concern all involved. We’ve been on the other end of this kind of run they put together on more than one occasion and it’s not a great look for the league. They’ve picked up 46 points from the last 50 available. Who in the league is keeping up with that, especially as they’ve managed to beat Arsenal twice in that run?

Basically the Premier League is no different to the Bundesliga or Ligue 1 now. Every now and then a team puts up a season that can challenge City and very rarely one of those teams will be able to sustain form just enough to reach the finish line in first. But those challenges are not going to be sustained season after season whilst City will invariably be there again next year.

For all the crowing and laughter about Arsenal bottling it, it’s not actually a very good for the league as a whole. Not sure why anyone would see it as amusing and revel in them coming up short. We’ve been there, we know what it’s like.

7 Likes

The 22/23 Arsenal experience also shows how important the fixture list is if teams of limited means are going to challenge. It fell perfectly for them.by the time they had to play anyone good they had already built up a head of steam.

1 Like

Theyre chasing a league title while starting Gabriel and bringing Reiss Nelson off the bench.

1 Like

Bottled it.

Or - did remarkably well to be in a position no one expected them to be in, but fell away at the end because they have no strength in depth nor experience of being in that position.

Hate that everything is just a meme now.

11 Likes

I still feel the need a better goalie. Ramsdale is very much like pickford. Too emotional and prone to doing stupid things. Look at our big man Ali in goal. Calm, and spreads calm.

Oh and Arteta’s face and hair annoys me far more than it should.

Imagine the stick we would get if we had bottled it like that.

It’s this selective nonsense that does my head in. An 8 point gap but City have a game in hand which they won. So in reality it’s a five point gap with 27 points to play for and they’ve got to play each other twice still.

Had City and Arsenal both won all their remaining games against the other teams and City beat Arsenal twice in their head to head then City would have pipped them by a point. Arsenal draw one of those head to head games and lose the other they still have to be perfect in the other 7 games to win the league.

A team not being able to sustain perfection at the end of a season whilst also beating their nearest rivals twice in the process isn’t remotely bottling it.

6 Likes

And it should have fallen apart after losing to us if not for the refereeing being absolute shite.

Why can’t we have different opinions, what’s the point in getting annoyed when someone thinks they bottled it. For me they bottled it big time, their fans have been singing for two months we are going to win the league and they are not.

3 Likes

My stream on Sunday was a little behind the thread conversation and when I saw Arsenal had gone behind my stream had the ball at Ramsdale feet. I was utterly convinced he was about to just pass it, DdG style, straight to a Brighton player because that’s the sort of fuck up he has in him. He is a much better goalie than pickford, but is just as erratic and even more so with the ball at his feet. As much as his late save against us is remembered for saving them a point their bad run of form has seen numerous big cock ups from him.

2 Likes