Blud, it's the Arsenal thread, fam

Its arsenal.

The irony is that 12 months ago if you told people he was coming in to replace Xaka most would have thought it was a 100m improvement. Last season though Xaka was their most improved player and finally playing at the level that made him a target for several english clubs in the first place. Rice will improve them, but Xaka’s form last year means its more of a marginal gain than a game changer

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/1674130712054882304?s=20

And there is Harvertz …

I expected this, whether they won or narrowly as it was, lost the title.

They had a very positive season and in the same time, they got rid of a lot of players (in the last year or two) and made their squad one of the youngest in the league.

Some important figures are leaving also this summer, so there is room for important new signings, especially being back in the CL.

We’ll see how it exactly looks like at the end of the window and if they can at least remain competitive, but start making that next step.

I still think theres a quality player there when it comes to Havertz.

Rice is clearly going to improve them too.

Hare to say it, but its a good start from Arsenal this window.

I worry about Arsenal …

If both Partey and Xhaka leave, I could see them fielding something like this in games when they have to break opponents:

Ramsdale
Timber White Saliba
Rice Zinchenko
Saka Odegaard Havertz Martinelli
Jesus

Maybe they’re going to sign another CM. Next option they have is Jorginho, but he will probably play more of an experienced backup role next season.

don’t see Odegard and Havertz playing together.

They’ll go more with a 4-3-3 imo.

Rice | Odegaard | Viera / CM
Saka | Jesus | Martinelli

It’ll be similar to how City lineup.

That may not be their main way to go, Havertz can also play instead of Jesus when he’s not available. But Vieira so far didn’t look ready enough to start for them, especially in midfield.

Must be nice being able to win nothing every season and still have ambitious owners who are willing to put the money up, regardless whether those 3 players are worth 200m+ meanwhile back in Boston John Henry still waiting on that 150m offer from the Saudi’s that’s never gonna come before sanctioning anymore moves.

3 Likes

Hopefully they’ll finish second again next season.

Behind us.

6 Likes

Aye. And unless Kiwior turns out to be a big hit, or they get through a season without injuries, it’s defense I feel they most need to bolster to address the risks the weakness of their squad presents.

Interesting thing for me is they have apparently earmarked him for midfield. In isolation that makes sense, but it represents a likely change in shape from much of last year and an even more attacking side.

Gabriel Jesus must be wondering if he will get a game next season

Havertz won’t displace him, maybe can back him up. Theyre selling Balogun and Nketiah is squad filler. His place is safe.

2 Likes

Is that too many beans to pay for Rice?

1 Like

if Rice was say from ukraine and called Ricechenko he’d be £40m tops… but credit the owners they are backing the manager…what we doing?

Bought someone exactly the same age, of the same profile, is more accomplished, and for less than half the price.

2 Likes

If we finish above Arsenal next season will you wind it in?

1 Like

Not necessarily.

We could spend more, finish below Arsenal and I would wind it in however…that would be a sign of owners investing at least and would signal an issue elsewhere….at the moment our issues lie solely with them.

If we finish above (most) the teams (and there’s plenty of them) that spend more than us, then the credit lies with Klopp (again) surely?

When Klopp’s had enough and we’re still under this ownership, we go back to being the side we were before him….is the scary truth many will admit to themselves, but not to others.

Not really, Rice is 2x the player Mudryk is.