Blud, it's the Arsenal thread, fam

Do you pronounce his name un-ree?

No, with a silent N.

More like t-eh-ree hoh-ree

Actually more like, uh-ree

1 Like

Now here they are, thanks to speedy and decisive work, with two experienced but young internationals recruited for less than Arsenal have paid for Declan Rice; crucially, the salaries involved for Mac Allister and Szoboszlai won’t disrupt Liverpool’s pay structure. [Dom King]

3 Likes

2 Likes

That Havertz wage is literally insanity.

Talk about failing upwards…

2 Likes

Remember Alexis!!!
Alexis Sánchez :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Sooner they bring in the wage cap in the better, Arsenal have been getting away with spending too much for too long whilst recording losses year after year.

The fact they’re bringing a cap on agent fees is already a + sign.

It’ll never happen. The number of legal challenges would drain the authorities’ resources.

Same reason why governments don’t impose a maximum wage.

1 Like

Ozil.

1 Like

It is the challenge they now face in sustaining the success of last season. Several of the players they brought in on lower contracts will now be pushing for ones commensurate with being challengers in the richest league in the world. Saliba’s increase is reported to have gone from 40k a week to over 120k a week basic.

This move might work well for them and be the sort of marginal improvement they need to challenge again next year, but could land them with a 330k a week player who contributes less than the unfashionable Trossard earning only 1/4 what Havertz is earning.

3 Likes

Those wages aren’t worth it even if he somehow turned into being far better than he was in Germany.

Expecting Bayern to be Havertz next destination. They spent €49m on Leroy Sané who was a squad player for City at that time.

But can we talk about £105m for Declan Rice.

Have a ‘next Harry Maguire’ feeling about this.

I like Rice I think he is a decent player, I’m not disappointed we didn’t think of spending 100m on him though.

2 Likes

Arteta is not building a squad for Arsenal… He is building it for his own CV - It is all about the here and now
He will go to the Cheaters in a season or two… fuck what salary mess he leaves at the Arse - he won’t care

3 Likes

Really looking forward to Arsenals plans for superiority backfiring, and them returning to their irrelevant fight with Spurs for Europa League bragging rights.

1 Like

It’s a dangerous game they are playing. The wage inflation has every chance of destabilizing the group, or becoming an anchor around their necks that will be hard to fund.

There’s every chance Arsenal will not do as well next season, although it feels wrong saying that because they won nothing last time.

They did make progress, but I suspect their fans will be disappointed this time around as an anticipated strong title challenge might be more of a top four finish.

2 Likes

I guess by this logic Havertz would have been a 150m player if he was called “Howard”

3 Likes

Arsenal last session is far from top class performance. They in similar stage with us in 2016- good team with good set up, highly coached, but not really have standout attribute. Need 3-4 really top players, whom the best in their position, to able to challenge City, like Allison and Van Dijk. I don’t think Rice and Havertz is that level.

1 Like

That’s the thing, they dropped off like a rock towards the end, if one player does that it would concern me.

Timber fee agreed with Ajax, according to the Athletic. £35m plus add-ons bringing it to around £40m in total.