Blud, it's the Arsenal thread, fam

Finished second. Spending £200m on three players will help them making the next step.

I’m sure it does on :video_game: but in the real world?

Would have been able to bring in 5 quality players with that money but they’ve decided to do things like ManU/Chelsea.

Gut feeling and experience telling me that those expensive signings will put unnecessary pressure on players and manager and they won’t be able to perform like last season.

1 Like

Let’s go Deccy

Id be surprised if they do as well as last year for some reason. Seen it a few times with teams.

I’d say we have more chance of winning the CL before them and we aren’t guaranteed to ever be in it again.

2 Likes

Yeah, its akin to second season syndrome. Not sure if it will be that pronounced for them though as their tail off last season perhaps began early enough to reduce the pressure on them.

1 Like

I always worry when teams do that.

1 Like

Form table for the last 20 league games.

1,85 points per game would take them to less than 71 points over the course of the season and wouldn’t even be enough for Top4.

2 Likes

Flopping at Chelsea doesn’t mean anything. Surely we have to remember that Salah and KDB didn’t cut it at Chelsea either at the time…

3 Likes

They didn’t flop they just weren’t given a chance to play. Havertz played… a lot. 139 games, in fact.

Salah was given 19 appearances, KdB just 9.

7 Likes

Their drop off coincides with Saliba injury and no decent replacement

Don’t think he was such a game changer for them.

He missed 11 games out of those 20.

Before his injury they lost to Everton, dropped points at home against Bradford and got beaten by City also at home.

1 Like

His presence was missed, in my view.
Their lack of strenght in the squad was exposed by him being missing

1 Like

I agree he was missed, but I also somewhat agree with @GermanRed as I think that their decline started while he was in the side.

He’s a young and probably still improving defender. It will be good to see how he performs in the new season.

Would tear up the contract with Adidas … :see_no_evil:

https://twitter.com/SkySportsPL/status/1681216265392648192?s=20

So that basically decides who won ugliest kit of the season already.
Schitts Creek Eww GIF by CBC

It’s very ‘swirly’…rather hypnotic…perhaps it’s method in their madness.

It’s a form of camouflage, you can’t see the players on the pitch.

1 Like

Opposition can’t tackle you if they’re too busy vomiting

Think About It GIF by Identity

This is often an important indicator for how at least the first half of the new season will go. Surprised to see Aston Villa doing so well in that table, so they could surprise one or two.

As for Arsenal, they have improved their squad with some good additions, and in theory replaced the loss of Xhaka with Rice. It’s not bad, but that’s all theory for the time being. Let’s see how it goes on the pitch for them, because being the transfer window winner isn’t worth anything as we’ve seen again and again over the years.

1 Like

Yeah, best example was Leicester in 14-15. Bottom of the table form for the first 27 games. Top 4 form for the final 11. There is lots of noise in that data though, but I think with Emery in place and the signings they’ve already made they are in a good place to be a nuisance for the established clubs this year.

4 Likes

As a mid 40’s white male with absolutely no fashion sense, I actually like it.

Not sure if that says more about the kit, or me?