Blud, it's the Arsenal thread, fam

Ha Ha Ha…
https://twitter.com/FootballTalkHQ/status/1721136787777577307?t=6NBKfUJqtFb1wlj6FvZSjQ&s=19

2 Likes

Was it, Mikel? Just get on with it?

You know what to do, silly prick.

It it not require to. The decision on the pitch was that was it not out so VAR would only intervene if it could definitely tell that was the wrong decision. That is the sort of decision it is not designed to be able to make so was always going to take a light hand on that, but it does appear they made the right decision, but you have to understand that seeing grass between the base of the ball and the line doesnt mean the ball is out to get that

The bigger issue here is the reflexive conflation of truly terrible VAR outcomes like happened with Diaz with the ones in this game with the bog standard managerial bitching about not getting decisions they wanted. It diminishes the real criticisms there are of VAR that need to be addressed to make the game better. Wolves have had 2 goals scored against them in consecutive weeks, costing them a combined 3 points that were both more worthy of criticism than what happened on this goal and we barely hear anything about it because the debate isnt really about honest discussions of VAR, but self interested complaining about things not going their way and only those with a platform (Arteta not O Neil) get listened to.

3 Likes

the Díaz goal injustice is deserved as lfc must be abused by authorities, media and fans
Arsenal’s bad VAR call is “a disgrace that makes me sick”

1 Like

Arteta is massively lucky that the goal “controversy” is papering over all the questions about Arsenal’s inability to create chances against Newcastle.

2 Likes

That is exactly why he’s doing it. I have so far only seen one piece that addresses that dynamic - Jesus has his supporters but is still to prove he can be good enough and fit enough for a full season to lead a title charge and Nketiah is Nketiah, meaning it’s a fair shout to say that Arsenal need something more in that area. Yet they now cannot afford one because of, in part, the expensive signing of Havertz who has yet to convince, who no one other than Arteta thought Arsenal needed, and contributed little more yesterday than a wild challenge that was mms from being a red card.

3 Likes

I have never heard an interview with Havertz. Is he just really dim? He makes so many mental errors, from silly offsides to this sort of challenge.

1 Like

When I saw that live, I thought it was a red card. I think the ref got it right but it was close.

Like the Nketiah one a few weeks ago, he got away with it due to sliding in front of the player rather than at/through him. But it was mere mms from being a different outcome and that was more luck than judgement.

The other thing about that match is both managers lost control of their players. If the high emotions were happening to us on the pitch, you know Klopp would have been very forcefully telling his players to dial it down.

Another thing that ref let ride… There is only supposed to be one individual allowed in the technical area at any one time… Howe ALWAYS has his second in command alongside him… Unless I am wrong here and the guideline has been relaxed since the beginning of the season directive :man_shrugging:
They make all these cast iron rulings to tighten up the weak areas of the rules… then just them slide as the weeks go on -

Newcastle got 3 yellows for the reaction to Havertz challenge. Its kind of sad the attention on the game has been on bad refereeing because I thought he handled that pretty perfectly :joy:

@sandsoftime yeah that has been a common thing with Howe and Newcastle. Like it has been with Arteta getting WAY outside his area. I dont get how things so apparent fail to get addressed when that is about 50% of the scope of responsibilities for the 4th official

1 Like

Arteta: the decision cost us 3 points

sorry Mikel, I must have missed the memo where a team can score no goals and win the game

1 Like

They need to stop whining, we beat them with 10.

1 Like

Professionals had their chance to speak up about VAR after the Diaz episode, which was probably the worst objective decision there has been.

Instead they didn’t and after a couple of days even started defending VAR. ‘they’re trying their best’ ‘they said sorry’ ‘let it go’

Artetas reaction is comical to me. The ball out of play and ‘push’ are subjective, it’s not a clear error like the Diaz situation. The ‘push’ we see all the time, I felt like he was looking for the foul personally. In real time I felt he kept the ball in play too. There’s a fair bit of time between that and the cross going in, no Arsenal player even attempted to get out to stop it.

We had a stone wall, inarguable example of VAR making a complete fuck up with the Diaz call, and everyone stayed quiet because it happened to Liverpool. In my mind they’re enablers and you reap what you sow. The chance was back then.

7 Likes

I mean that’s what you say to your 8 year old when their team just got tanked 10:0, not a highly paid elite official.

2 Likes

Where Arteta has a point, is that the standard of officiating needs to be looked at. Refs, VAR, PGMOL, the lot.

As for the particular incident he is doubling down on, tough luck old boy. Ball was out? Not proven. Player was offside? Not proven. Foul was committed on Gabriel? Not proven. All parts are thus subjective, and Arsenal, unluckily for them, were on the wrong side of it.

The Luis Diaz decision was objective and factual, according to the VAR officials themselves, and the goal should have stood, were it not for a rushed restart and a communication failure.

Arsenal were unlucky. I don’t mind saying that. It’s part and parcel of the game.

For us it was a lot more than bad luck. We were robbed of a good goal that would have changed the outcome of the game, and therefore it costs us points, and the sporting integrity of the league was thus compromised.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with VAR.

The issue is the PGMOL

4 Likes

Has he just come to that conclusion? The question is, why? I mean, I’m sure a couple of weeks ago somebody brought that same point up and his response was, they’re doing their best or something like that.

Soft tart!

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by Election 2020

Arteta not you Rotw. Just in case there was any doubt.

https://twitter.com/__SakaSZN/status/1732160127371771931?t=7XlAMvfkZs3fAdu5lVALsQ&s=19