Breaking News Thread

It’s frucked up to start with when the government starts murdering en mass. Should we just sit back and watch?

For the most part, I haven’t seen any just wars, or justified invasions, for a long time. The war on terror seemed to accelerate dubious action.

There is definitely a case for countries to be involved in other countries, when atrocities are being committed. Ideally the lines will be nice and clear, such as the first Gulf War, when Saddam Hussein invaded Kuwait. A large global coalition came together to right that wrong.

But it is increasingly difficult to see just actions being carried out, globally, and when the supposed ‘good guys’ prove to be anything but, the notion of having moral justification evaporates globally too.

1 Like

So , please step in when there’s a regime in North Korea ? or the fuckshow which is Pakistan ? or whatever.

Fuckshow?

Spying Tv Show GIF by Laff

1 Like

is that @PeachesEnRegalia looking for Alice ?

Didn’t the UK explicitly support quite the opposite? Only France, Greece, Cyprus, and Russia of the European countries supported Haftar.

France supporting Haftar means a whole lot considering the reality there. France essentially controls quite a large bit of Africa.

Sure, but that’s not what @Iftikhar originally said.

Reported.

Guess what. We did exactly that with Pinochet in Chile. Why? Because it served the American (and therefore by extension, our) purpose.

4 Likes

https://x.com/supertv247/status/1702705597659918730?s=46&t=qjQdwJi2khWQQz87wqB34A

Russell Brand quick off the mark to try and defend himself.

1 Like

I wonder if the late announcement of the documentary is to prevent the sort of fevered speculation that is all over Twitter now?

I have heard from more than one female comic that there are figures in the business who are known to be a bit lecherous.

Considering the fact that USA spent several decades grooming him, it isn’t fanciful to assume that he enjoys the support of USA and UK. Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and UAE are the main sponsors of him, and they wouldn’t have done so without the explicit consent of USA & UK.

But the major support has come from not supporting the legitimate (and at one point, elected) government based at Tripoli. Haftar forces would have occupied the entire Libya by now if Turkey, of all freaking nations, didn’t intervene.

1 Like

Speaking of Pinochet , I discovered just the other day why Thatcher was so supportive of him. Apparently during the Falklands War he surreptitiously allowed the Brits to place a radar station on Chilean soil which was able to intercept all Argentinian air force movements. This has never been officially admitted by either government. It might be more widely known but it was news to me.

@SBYM , I just joined the list

I guess you missed out the story of Osama bin Laden and al-Qaeda. You’re having a laugh if you think the USA and the UK have that much influence anymore.

So backtracking on what you said earlier then? Considering the context of the earlier interventions in previous situations and the domestic political environment, especially with the criticism @Hope.in.your.heart has with NATO and interventions, which is not an unpopular criticism, it’s not surprising at all that they didn’t intervene militarily.

He’s full of shit.

Last time he told me I was reported, he sent me a fruit basket.

Katherine Ryan spoke about it ages ago but wouldn’t reveal names because of the legal ramifications. I don’t think anybody will be surprised about the allegations about Brand, and if David Walliams isn’t also mentioned I’d be amazed. Heard some really dark things about him over the years.

1 Like

https://x.com/c4dispatches/status/1703066270797541715?s=46&t=qjQdwJi2khWQQz87wqB34A

Russell Brand: In Plain Sight

1 Like

Involuntary re-Brand-ing?