Bundesliga / German NT

I genuinely wonder if it’s new manager bounce lasting much longer than expected, a kind fixture list or if Xabi really is that good. As a player, he worked with absolutely the best coaches in certain aspects of football, so I expect that he picked up at least something from them.

Years ago, a lot of us expected him to become a decent manager one day (when we spoke about former Liverpool players), so I wonder if it really started happening for him.

Although I wish Klopp stayed here forever, he will eventually leave and I still don’t see an obvious candidate to take his place one day. Xabi ticks a lot of boxes but I’m yet to see his Leverkusen side, so I’d appreciate a low-down on them.

1 Like

When Stevie was doing great at Rangers I said I still take Xabi without experience over him.

Xabi is the total package - as a person, as a footballer as a manager ‘talent’

You won’t find anymore more respected in the football world.

I’m sure he has built a huge network during his time here, at Real and Bayern. Would help massively to recruit talent.

6 Likes
1 Like

There was actually a bit of a lull after an initial bounce and someone suggested he could be sacked.

The comeback against Monaco seemed to make them click and they’ve been very good since.

Must be in the running for the Europa League now and Leverkusen back into contention.

And what kind of football is his Leverkusen team playing?

Would be great to see a team like Freiburg or Union in the CL next season, if not both.

Refreshing.

1 Like

More of a counter football with a 3-4-3 atm.

I’m impressed how he is getting the best out of his ‘older’ players CB Tah (27) and double pivot Demirbay (29) and Andrich (28).

Most of the other outfield players are promising speedy youngsters.

Think it’s a nice squad already but I’m really looking forward on what Xabi will add in the summer.

I’m sure he’ll bring in some young Spanish players to take them to the next level.

4 Likes

They also have Florian Wirtz back from injury, imo the most talented German player of his generation.

1 Like

Really like Wirtz, remember watching a few of their games before he got injured. Par example, when we speak about Mount, I remember someone like Wirtz and would rather go for him instead (even possibly more expensive). Both are not what we need positionally and would need either the player learning a new role or us changing the structure. But Wirtz is quality.

1 Like

I guess that means Wirtz heads to Bayern for next season.

Bayern need a new main striker. They have Musiala operating more or less where Wirtz is at this phase of his career.

Kane would be a great fit. He’d score for fun in the BL.
Not intelligent enough to learn German though, let alone Bayerisch.

:crazy_face:

1 Like

Do hope Dortmund do it.

5 wins with a last game against Mainz, Klopp will be delighted as he can watch it as we play the Sunday.

3 Likes
1 Like

Is this the same management that came in and in less than a month took them out the Pokal Cup, CL and got absolutely embarrassed at the weekend?

Weird stuff, Muller’s already started losing his spot and will have a year left, so not a big deal. That Pletti guy likes to come out with a lot of stuff, doubt all of it is true.

I’ve heard rumours that it’s mainly Kahn’s position that is under pressure, maybe Salihamidzic as well. They’ll do an overhaul of their squad as well though.

Tuchel is supposedly safe (for now). Although I find his statements somewhat weird, he went from being ‘in love’ with the squad and not accepting any criticism of their performance after the City matches to they look tired and like a team that’s played 80 games in like a few days.

Both can be true. He might like the squad in terms of quality and depth, but not so much how their energy is looking lately. He can also adapt to that of course, but sometimes the damage is already done from before and there’s not much you can change so deep in the season with a few games to go. The energy levels are what they are and the next window to change that is to have your own new pre-season.