Cars, Driving And All Things Automotive

Obvious you’re joking, but driving and spelling are only 2 of the countless things you north Americans fucked up

That’s hilarious, considering Danish contributions to society are limited to hygge and a pastry.

:slight_smile:

I’ll take your word for that.
All normal here in Scotland :grinning:

Any thoughts on best mid range tyres. I need 4 :pensive:. Original Contis on back with still reasonable tread after 60000 miles but cracking up on sides. Firestone front tyres but have only lasted 10000.

Nissan dealer has recommended Devantis but local tyre place says Nexens…

Twice a year I drive to Paris but otherwise M6 to Lake District and local stuff. 8000 a year

What car and tyre size is it? Also, do you want summer, winter or all-season tyres?

I can have a look on ADAC and see what they recommend.

Thanks mate.

Qashqai 215/55/18 99V

All season…

The ADAC recomendations for all weather tyres are here (in German Obviously) This was the nearest to your size:

TBH their overall ratings are a bit skewed by their weighting towards snow driving (if you were always driving in snow you would probably use Winter tyres anyway).

The top ones they recommend are Continental AllSeasonContact, Goodyear Vector 4Season Gen-2 (which is what we have on our cars here in Germany), Michelin CrossClimate + (which I used to use in Scotland), Nokian Weatherprood and Uniroyal AllSeasonExpert 2. There are a couple of others which they don’t recommend because they really don’t function in snow.

Are you in Liverpool (or the UK, anyway?). I had a look at Blackcircles and they have some discount codes if you are buying more than 2 online:

Also, Kwikfit do some bigger discounts for 4: Search Results - 215/55V18 | Kwik Fit

1 Like

Yes I’m in Liverpool so no snow. Thanks for taking the trouble to put that together. Very kind of you.

I’ll have a look at the Kwikfit link…

Deep fried Mars bars and Irn Bru?

get a wheel alignment done, if they aren’t wearing properly. something wrong with that.

I have OEM Continental ProContact all season on my vehicle, but I switch between summer and winter tires every year due to our snowfall. I’d recommend them they’re a good tire and I look to be getting about 80000km on a set

What is the profile of the tyre? That’s the second number on the size. E.g. 225 x 65 r15
65 is the height of the tyre wall. The smaller that number the softer the tyre gets. Some manufacturers are worse than others but it will return better grip but probably lose out on economy.

As stated look at the wear on the tyre. Wearing more on one side means alignment or camber is out. Wearing in the middle means tyre pressure too high, outsides wearing evenly means tyre pressure too low.

1 Like

If you getting new tyres fitted, consider getting them inflated with nitrogen gas instead of compressed air. The small amount of cost is minimal measured against the benefits.

1 Like

Nitrogen inflation is a scam. the earth’s atmosphere is already 78% Nitrogen.

this was told directly to me, by a Continental tire representative who is my footy teammate.

there ya be. pretty common tire.

Yeah might be… Can only speak from my own experience though, and that is one of the tyres never seemingly losing pressure during use… :man_shrugging:

something to consider

tires heat up during use. this is why you test your tire pressure when cold, for consistency. Nitrogen is a gimmick. your tires will not “lose pressure” during use, unless there’s a leak somewhere. your tire pressure can increase up to 5psi just from driving, if I remember the statistic correctly.

Also, changes in weather (hot vs cold) will change tire pressure.

here’s a link from one of my vendors to look at, if you’re curious

also, this

Ahhh Okay thanks for this… Guess the brochures thrust into my hand at the tyre garage were slightly more positive, and biased, in their sales speak… a typical article here, again leaves some grey areas between the black and white factual findings, but like you say, any advantage or disadvantage of using 100% nitrogen can be interpreted accordingly… :+1:

Should I Use Nitrogen Instead of Regular Air In My Tires?

Dustin Hawley | Nov 07, 2022

Most drivers agree that regularly checking tire health is essential. Numerous factors, like road and weather conditions, play a significant role in the wear and tear and the overall health of your tires. The gas you fill your tires with also plays a role.

Is nitrogen more effective than the good old regular air for tires? The jury is still out on this.

Today’s article will weigh the advantages and disadvantages of nitrogen vs. air for tires. We will consider the cost of maintenance, tire aging, maintaining pressure, and mixing the two. By the end of the article, you will be able to decide whether nitrogen is better for you than air or not.

But before we get into the whole nitrogen vs. air debate, there is a thing you need to keep in mind. Always maintain the required air pressure in your tires, whichever is your choice.

Cost Of Maintenance

The air constitutes 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and about 1% various gases. This means that nitrogen filling is, well, nitrogen without oxygen. Nitrogen stations are difficult to find compared to air stations which are almost readily available at every gas station. Nitrogen is made of more giant molecules than air, preventing it from permeating through the rubber tubes at the rate normal air does.

For example, if the car is in regular use, you will need to get the normal air refilled every week or ten days, depending on the vehicle and the driving conditions. However, tires filled with nitrogen can last up to a month before you hit the refilling station again. Air is free or can be refilled at a nominal rate, while it might be a little costly to maintain nitrogen filling. The cost might be a bit higher, but you won’t have the headache of constantly hitting the air station.

Tire Aging

Nitrogen causes less wear and tear to the tires than air. Nitrogen is dry air without the presence of oxygen. It is free of moisture, leading to fewer temperature changes in the tires, which helps maintain tire condition over extended periods. This is highly beneficial for speed racers. Due to its properties, nitrogen is used in heavy vehicles, aircraft, racing cars, and heavy equipment. In the context of regular use, Nitrogen’s a good choice for long drives, rally racing, and driving in places with very high or low temperatures.

Maintaining Pressure

In the larger scheme of things, maintaining the correct air pressure in your tires is vital to the health of your car and your life. Nitrogen has a slight advantage over regular air here. Tires filled with nitrogen maintain the air pressure in those rubber tubes for a little longer than air. The simple science behind it is that the nitrogen molecules are a little larger, making it a little more difficult to escape from the tiny pores of the rubber tubes used in tires. However, maintaining the pressure in the tires and regular inflation checks are as important regardless of which gas you use. Over long periods, the difference isn’t that great, though. You will save extra cash by just filling up regular air.

Can You Mix Nitrogen With Air?

The short answer is YES! There is no ill effect to topping nitrogen-filled tires with air or vice versa. It won’t cause any harm to your tires, but it is somewhat less effective than just sticking to nitrogen.

Summary

Looking at various performance parameters, nitrogen does have the upper hand. It helps maintain the pressure longer, it helps with the slow wear and tear of tires, and its proven use in heavy vehicles and aircraft does make it a preferred choice. However, on the flip side, considering the cost and the availability of nitrogen stations, it’s best to stick to good old air unless you’re driving a race car.

I do enjoy a little healthy debate, ultimately it’s your decision but being in transportation does have it’s points of privilege. if they’re trying to sell you something, ask yourself why? if the air is 78% Nitrogen already, how would 100% be THAT much better to pay for it? Also, what happens if you puncture a tire on a drive and you can’t get the flat repaired with nitrogen? Now, you’re going to have an issue when the tires come up to operating temperature, they’ll be at different pressures than when they’re checked at cold temperature.

what vehicle do you use, that runs tubes in tires? air does not permeate through rubber tires themselves. maybe on your bicycle…

Tire shops have an air dryer on the outlet of their compressor system to prevent moisture in their lines. it’s standard equipment.

again…unless you’re driving a car built 100 years ago you’re not using tubes in tires…

it’s a scam, baby.

Doesn’t matter. The current fashion for large diameter alloy wheels with rubber band tyres means you spend more on tyres / tires. They just don’t last as long but you get superior handling. There’s less flex in the tyre wall and the rubber is softer.

It’s exactly why I went to balloon tyres on my van. Looked cool with 40 profile tyres but when you’re only getting 10k miles on the front and doing more way miles than that in a year (as i was at the time) a rethink was needed

55 profile isn’t that bad for a car so I’d be looking at the wear pattern. It may also be that the tyre is made from a really soft compound. That wouldn’t surprise me.

1 Like

That’s actually debatable. There has been a trend for manufacturers to tune cars for optimal Nürburgring bragging rights but it results in cars that are awful on real roads (it was either Jeremy Clarkson or James May that did a feature on this a while ago).

The knock on effect is manufacturers offering rubber band wheel and tyre combos because they look the part, not because they enhance the handling or ride of the car in any significant way.

An example of this was a friend of mine who was given a “sporty” Mercedes A klass as an upgrade to his company car. He hates it. The ride is as hard as a skateboard and and it handles worse than the little Peugeot 208 that he had before.

One bit of advice that my old mechanic gave me was that, when choosing a wheel and tyre size, look up the selection and cost of the various replacement tyres. The one with the most choices and cheapest costs for the same brand are probably going to be best suited to the car.

1 Like