Cars, Driving And All Things Automotive

Do you mean t25? They were pretty gutless.

Layout is everything. Space is limited in these vans. I found that when you stuff everything in there’s barely space for people to move or just have a brew in there. I also wanted boot space and the RIB seat gives you that.

Took me far too long to figure out that there’s potentially a huge amount of storage space available outside the van. That’s when the roof rack happened and more will come.

Might be wrong on the T5, think 5 years after the split screen.

Yeah that’s the t25 or sometimes called the type 3. Pretty gutless series of engines in them. Classics now though.

T4 came after, which is what I have, 1991 to 2003.
Then the t5 which had a facelift in 2013 I think, and then became the t6.

1 Like

This was our generation. Going over the Alps was fun…

1 Like

And time consuming I suspect.

Much respect to some people that keep these going. Some of the customisation on them is crazy.

Blew it’s big end on a France trip one year, Dad loved the Renault 21 hire car we had while they fixed it. I vividly remember mum shouting at him for speeding :wink: Had a brilliant altimeter built in too. Once you went above a certain height, the steering column leaked. The washer control was a valve, not a switch :joy:

Lier! :rofl:

Anyway @Noo_Noo what about a Subaru Forrester?
My sister had one inbetween VW vans (no idea why she likes those monstrosities) I for me it’s just the thing for ‘you’ country folks with dogs, bikes and the like.

Mitsubushi as well, apparently quite good if your a DIYourself repair guy.

One thing that gets me about modern cars is the amount of bits and lumps you have to take off before you can get to anypart that’s likely to need changing. Needed to disconnect my sons battery to do a little electrical dabbling around and discovered it was under a great sheet of metal, requiring taking off windscreen wipers (plus motor) and a few other things before having any access to the batterey ground. WTF, i just risked electricution. I did get electricuted when changing bulb on same said vehicle, couldn’t unclip it so went direct for the bulb just as my grandchild decided it was time to play with switches on the control console. :anguished:

Ah horrible.
Those engines were fragile but they lead to those that were used in the mk1 golf. They were awesome and got better up to the mk3 golf.

There was a step change then. Alloy blocks, internals nowhere near as robust but performance and ability to modify massively were way up. They got more fussy and complicated too which resulted in a kind of a step back towards those type 1 type 2 vw engines durability wise.

There’s a little part of me that wishes I’d something with a mk3 block in my van.

1 Like

Mate of mine has a garage, those plastic panels make him his money.

People are mad, I just throw them away!
Well just the one that was flopping around in my daughters Clio.

Scotland unveils genius nicknames for road gritters and people are cracking up

Since 2020 Transport Scotland has asked the public what it should call its fleet of gritters and 2023 is no exception – with this year’s names really taking imagination

Scotland’s genius gritter names:

• Charles RennIce MackinSlush
  • Sleetwood Mac
  • Keanu Freeze
  • Calvin Harr-Ice
  • Melter Skelter
  • Robert Brrrns
  • Tam o’ Salter
  • Spreddie Van Halen
  • Sir Grits Hoy
  • Sweet Child O’ Brine
  • Creedence Clear-Road Survival
  • She is a Melter!
  • Skid Vicious
  • You’re a Blizzard, Harry
  • Lord Coldemort
  • Carrie Bradthaw
  • Grittin’ On Wae It
  • Brinestone Ploughboy
  • Freeze Witherspoon
  • Chun-Ski: Street Gritter
  • Icesweeper Willie
  • Spray Charles
  • Grits You Thru
  • Yes Sir, Ice Can Boogie
  • Buzz Iceclear
  • Betty White-Out
  • Snowey Tribbiani
  • Sir David Attenbrrrrrr
  • Jack Jarv-Ice & Victor McSprayed
  • Gritney Spears
  • Gritter Thunberg
  • Snowing Me, Snowing You
1 Like

Bidspotter…
As these VW’s were mentioned in earlier threads - one comes along for auction - opening bid £3.5k

DIGGERS, VANS, TRACTORS, CARS, VANS, TRUCKS, 4X4’S, QUADS + MORE Ends from Monday 11th December 2023 at 2pm

VINTAGE WANDERLUST: '95 VW TRANSPORTER T4 POP TOP - ADVENTURE AWAITS - NO VAT ON HAMMER

1995 Volkswagen Transporter T4 2.4 Diesel Pop Top Camper
Body: Blue - Camper
Mileage: 166697
Mot: 25Th November 2023
Engine: 2370Cc
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual -
Mechanical Summary: Starts Perfect. Runs Perfect. Gearbox
Drivetrain
Transmission Perfect. Pulls In Every Gear. Starts And Drives Fine But Could Definitely Do With A Basic Service.

Collection: Birmingham

Lot Reference: AKW3025

1 Like

yes please!!! too bad it drives on the wrong side of the road.

I’m assuming it would sell for significantly more than £3,500?

We hired a camper years ago. It was based on a FIAT but more of a Ken and Barbie type thing with a small bathroom. I did think a week with it was about enough but I do like the idea that you could just head off for the weekend in one.

Not necessarily. Sometimes they can’t even reach the reserve price, other times as you say, goes way beyond. While there is no VAT on this, there will be an additional buyers fee of anything up to 25% on top.

1 Like

That’s cheap, so cheap I’m wondering if it’s a scam.

Many similar lots to be sold on the day… competition suits the buyers.
The auctions and specific items can be followed online as the bidding unfolds… that is the upside - the downside is, you might be bidding against the seller who is jacking the price up :0)

My bad, of course it’s an auction.

I wonder if there’s a reserve on it?

Not sure - maybe they would tell you if asked pre-auction :man_shrugging:

Current bid

None

0 bids

Reserve not yet met

Your max bid

Enter your bid - Timed auction

GBP

Place Bid

(opening bid 3,500 GBP)

Here is another VW in same auction - but a 2014 version of a camper (if converted) - opening bid £12k

2014 Volkswagen Transporter Caravelle 2.0 Tdi Dsg Automatic Camper
Body: Blue - Minibus
Mileage: 43591
Mot: 28Th February 2024
Engine: 1968Cc 2.0 Tdi 180Ps-D
Transmission: Automatic - Fwd
Mechanical Summary: Starts Perfect. Runs Perfect. Gearbox
Drivetrain
Transmission Perfect. Pulls In Every Gear. No Lights On The Dash
Features: 0 Former Keepers
Full Service History
Parking Sensors
A/C
Electric Windows
This Really Is A Very Well Maintained. Excellent Condition
Genuine 1 Owner Automatic Top Spec Transporter Which Would Make A Brilliant Camper Conversion If Needed Or Just Use It As It Is.
Eu Status: Euro 5
Hpi: Clear

Collection: Birmingham

Lot Reference: AKW3074