Cars, Driving And All Things Automotive

Try this… Company cars offered when they gone into administration

estate cars Auctions Online | Lots for sale at BidSpotter.co.uk

1 Like

Currently in a Hyundai dealers….

Interesting site that. Not sure it’ll work for me as these places tend to be miles away and so far I’ve not seen a delivery option. I’ll keep an eye on it though. Cheers

Condolences

My car search requirements were the same as you - estate, cheap to run, no need to impress, and carry a wet dog or loads of stuff.

Ended up with a E91 320d M-Sport (sub £5k) manual - cheap tax, cheap to run, albeit BMW maintenance is more costly (chain driven and that needs doing soon), but used to it having always had Audi/VWs anyway.

I was looking at the Passat estates, as they are really well kitted up, and have a massive boot space (esp compared to the BM), but the BMs are just nicer to be in, and RWD fun, whilst the Passat is just a work horse.

I’ve kind of ruled out BMW to be honest. Perhaps I shouldn’t have :thinking:. My initial thinking is that tax bracket and then the fuel costs. I know that’s a bit backwards(from a cost perspective) but that’s where my brain was at the last couple of days.
A really good mate of mine has a BM and loves it.

Recently replaced my Ford Ranger pick up with an Audi A7.
I get 280 extra miles to a tank of fuel now.

1 Like

Tucson vs Mazda CX5. Choices….

Not mine I stress.

I was less concerned with running costs, as I was replacing an Audi TT, that was always going to be way worse tax and fuel bill wise, but it was still a consideration.

I’ve had the car since Jan 2021, putting about 20-25k on the clock (at around 98k now), and it’s been spot on, except for a DPF issue, but the previous owner (an old boy) had it 7-8 years and was only doing 2-3k a year, so it wasn’t surprising. Done trips from home (the south coast) right up to Scotland, and also a number of trips to the North East to see my folks.

Also had a cracked alloy, but that got welded up last month and been fine - it was only picked up as cracked by the MOT station (not losing air). Mines is a pre-LCI (pre-facelift) model - i wanted an LCI, but at that time, with similar mileage/spec, it wasn’t worth the extra £2-3k.

On Beamers in general, I find you pay more for the badge - had I gone for a Passat (or Volvo estate that was also on the cards), the car would have been 4-5 years younger/newer. But build quality wise, its much much nicer. Feels better built etc, but it is also the smaller of all the estates I was considering.

As with all second hand cars, best to do your research, check for common faults, and that its been maintained properly. I had a long list of things to check on the BMW and it all checked out so I bit the bullet - it was the first one I’d looked at in the flesh, so was apprehensive but went with my gut, to no regrets thus far. I looked at 7 different TT’s before I bought the one I did (prob about 10 years ago now). Need to be a bit anal at times!

My missus had to give her licence up due to glaucoma so sold her Mini.
She’d had it 9 years and had clocked up a massive 3000 miles in that time.

1 Like

My favourite type of car owner.

My mum needed a car about 4-5 years ago, and my brother found VW Golf Plus - 12 year old car with 5,000 miles on it - the thing still smelt new inside, not a mark on it inside or out. Old lady had stopped driving and it had been garaged for 4 years. It’s been a great purchase for my old dear, and its still only got around 35k on as my bro uses it from time to time.

1 Like

Now in Skoda……

I owned a Chevy SS (Holden commodore) 6 speed manual and that was my absolute favorite car to drive. Great suspension V8 LS3 in it with 435 hp. That was around when they re-released the chargers and challengers in the US. Would love rolling up on them in an unsuspecting sedan and have a little fun off the line. Gas killed me
Though, especially the way I drove :joy:

Rented a V8 charger once, epic fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am now. Or at least want to reduce the road tax to near nothing if I can. It’ll be a light workhorse. My VW t4 is the fun one but expensive to run

1 Like

I used to love the Holden Monaro styling. when they decided to release their hopped-up version (VXR8?) in the States as the Pontiac GTO I was hoping to get sight of one. Haven’t seen it yet. The grill is much different here than the Monaro, but neither of them compare to this:

I’d LOVE to get my hands on one of these.

Oh man I love VW vans. I hope yours is the VR6?! :smiling_imp:

Best mate has a T6 that he’s had converted into a camper, that includes a poptop. Thing is beautiful.

Mate of mine has the fully electric VW Transporter. Our local multi story carpark has free chargers. He parks there on a Sat afternoon, leaves it overnight, leaves free on a sunday and has a full charge for the week. Genius.

2 Likes

Mines a bit of an ugly duckling at the moment. Pop top, RIB seat and bed but is 32 years old it gets a pass.

I’ve put a 1.8t in it with a k04 turbo and stand alone engine management.

I’m in the process of converting it into a swamper / expedition vehicle type look leaving inside with just a couple of storage boxes and a fridge box. Everything else will live outside. I hate the standard VW camper layout. I never cook or wash up in the van when camping so all that gumph is just a waste of space

2 Likes

Friends of my parents had a big white Bedford conversion when we all camped as kids, left our T5 for dust and had a far better layout. Loved the crazy VW though, ah that flat engine :slight_smile: