Cars, Driving And All Things Automotive

What kind of distances do you normally cover in a road trip?

I’ve found over the last few years that my impression of road trips is not what most people would do. I would not have a problem with doing road trips in an electric vehicle, provided I had a place to overnight charge (rather than fast charge) the vehicle. I wouldn’t want to be driving more than the range of the vehicle in a single day anyway.

But I presume you’re referring to a scenario in which one would be driving their own car, whereas I very much don’t get the point of shipping a 2-ton vehicle across distances, when one could just take a train or other forms of mass transit to the closest convenient place to rent a car for example, if covering the distance is the main priority.

1 Like

Hydrogen, certainly, but I already see lots of people using electric cars for long distance journeys. I stopped off on the A1 coming back from Bremen the other week and could see cars with French and Spanish plates recharging.

There is only so far that you are likely to drive in one go without a break and the newer electric vehicles are already capable of that. Whilst you are having your coffee, the car can be sitting there getting a fast charge.

I think I’ve already read about this in the context of taxi drivers. Even in rural areas it’s quite hard to exceed the range of a standard BEV.

Range anxiety seems to be a problem largely in the mind, or a practical problem only for a few people (not to deny the very real concerns that the latter have though).

That said, a lot of people would be better off getting on a bike.

1 Like

Well, off the top of me head:

1. Pacific to Atlantic Disneyland to Disneyworld via North Dakota
  2. Warrington to Portugal and back
  3. Switzerland and back
  4. Belgium and back
  5. Austria and back
  6. Poland and back

So a lovely gallimaufry.

But what are the typical distances covered in a single day?

It’s more a case of what are the distances covered in a single leg. The longest I’ve travelled in one day in the UK was from Margate to our house in Scotland which was 500 miles (or, as it is known in Scotland, a “Proclaimer”). However, that involved two stops for lunch and coffee in the afternoon. The longest stretch was about 250 miles after which we stopped for 45 minutes or so for lunch. That’s enough time for a quick charge.

Depends on the day. I’ve done 1000 miles in a day several times. That will just destroy a battery. Fast charge, fast discharge cycle. When we did the big one across the USA, we’d do 400+ on the days we drove. Depended on the cities / town etc.

That’s the part I was alluding to before, because my opinion of a road trip is that there’s only really a point if (a) you take your time to enjoy the scenery around you, and/or (b) there’s no alternative except by car.

I wouldn’t want to cover >250 miles in a single day for example, it kind of defeats the point for me, hence why I asked.

Did you enjoy the journey itself, or was it more a question of getting from A to B?

Some parts of it were jaw dropping. Plus spending time without phones with Mrs. But I vividly remember cresting a hill and seeing about 60 miles of dead straight road going through scrub. Happened to be in an Indian reserve. That’s another story “OK, we’ll give you all this lovely land” response “But it’s absolutely shit scrubland” “Tough”

If you don’t enjoy driving to Switzerland, there’s something wrong with you.

That’s my point though, can you really enjoy it if you’re doing upwards of 300 miles a day?

Oh hell yeah. Breakfast in the first town you come to, lunch several hours later then explore the town you stay in that night. We’re only talking 5/6 hours driving.

5/6 hours driving for 300 miles is what, an average speed of 50-60mph?

How much can you see along the way if that’s the speed you’re travelling at? Bear in mind this is average speed, so not accounting for things like traffic lights and/or traffic.

Ever driven in America?

Ballard Power Systems called, wants to have a chat…

Hydrogen Facts | About Ballard | Ballard Power.

my ex wife is currently completing a road trip in her Tesla with her kids. Tampa FL to Victoria BC via Jasper, AB and Yellowstone, MT. think it’s around 3500-4000miles depending on routing.

No, but I can presume the point you’re trying to make is that it makes sense in America.

Perhaps, but that goes back to my point about how it’s not really a common use case. In any case, aren’t speed limits there 55mph or something for the most part?

No, 70. Common misconception.

Tesla is a different kettle of fish as they have the charger infrastructure and live traffic / charger routing. Genius from Musk.

hide GIF

Made the trip several times in the last year from Fife to Hampshire - 480 miles each way.
Done it in 3 different diesel vehicles, 2 of which needed filling on the way.
Definitely wouldn’t fancy it in an EV.

1 Like