Cars, Driving And All Things Automotive

Meanwhile stumbled onto this on Facebook marketplace.

Both awesome and tragic I think.

2 Likes

Supposed to be Thunderbird 2?

I’m all for 20 past schools at 9 and 3 but main road through a town? Crazy. Will just slow traffic down even more. Limits up across the board in my book. Particularly motorways.

From what I read in the article that would still be the case where appropriate but would now have to be specifically signposted at the higher (30mph) limit.

I think what I would see as the issue is that this is making the roads operate in a different manner to the rest of the world. You could end up with those people who are least familiar with the roads also unsure as to the speed limit.

That will vary from place to place. A simple pedestrian crossing with traffic lights on a High St for example can really inhibit traffic flow for example. Speed is not the only factor, not by a long way.

The answer is that 20mph does really make a difference in road safety, but some just demand to be allowed to do what they want at all times really.

No it isn’t, and really a lot more work should be done with regards to that, including road narrowing and other visual cues.

Yeah. It’s a Toyota Previa underneath.

There is this scene thing with Toyota vans where they are modified to the extreme, and I do mean extreme. Way beyond tasteful or practical, more in line with the cartoon stuff that you see from Japan etc.

Yes, but you’re affecting their freedom to speed from red light to red light!

How Dare You Greta GIF

1 Like

Yes and yes. Just swapping a 30 sign for a 20 one is not suitable in some areas where more needs to be done to manage traffic in flow better.

Sadly, that would require investment, which this country is incapable of doing…

I don’t think a 20 sign will stop those people to be honest.

Come and live in London and surrounding areas, we’ve been doing 20mph everywhere for years lol.

It will bring in extra revenue due to the additional speeding fines that will occur

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve heard anyone who actually owns an electric car find any problems with the ownership experience as such. The main problem is the purchase price and the lack of a significant second hand market at the moment.

2 Likes

I rented a car for my holidays (well my daughter did).
They offered us an Opel corsa or wait an hour for a Peugeot 2008, we waited an hour (no way was I going to take an Opel).
Quite a nice surprise, great suspension, very good Blue motion 130ch motor (it could move yet be very economic), silly shaped steering wheel but it did it’s job even if it did block the dials so no idea what speed you where doing. Why then fuck it all up with concrete seats, couldn’t do an hour without my buttocks complaining (I suppose I’m not fat enough for modern shit).
Still encouraged me to look at Citreons to replace my trusty Toyota wagon, they tend to be more comfortable than their big brothers.

N.B Noticed that peugeot, Ford and Opel are majority owned by the same company (chinese?) which perhaps explains the Bue motion type engines across the board (of which the Ford is probably the best, being the 1st as well, unfortunately Fords keep their valeur here in France better than Citreon). Perhaps Opel (Vauxhall to you barbarians) will get better with time.

been wanting this car since I saw my first Holden Monaro VXR8. this is Vauxhall Monaro VXR500

Believe they were sold as the Pontiac GTO in USA market, albeit with a shitty looking front end.

Had a ride in one once, utter lunatic.

That’s not a Corsa!

Ford is NOT owned by Chinese LOL.

Ford and Mazda have partnerships when it comes to certain production lines. the Mazda trucks shared drivetrain components with the Ford Ranger. Mazda developed the small motors for Ford during the early 00’s. the Mazda Protege had same drivetrain as the Ford Laser I believe? 2.0L. bulletproof motors.

GM services Vauxhall, that I know for sure. The VXR500 is a 6 liter Corvette motor. GM spent hundreds of millions moving one of their engine plants to Australia about 20yrs ago.