Championship and Football League

An opening day thundertwat for Pompey, quite amazing that Leeds are behind and not out of sight already in this game.

Sunderland up 0-1 on Cardiff.

I’m actually over feeding on Championship footy via Paramount this morning. Been game-starved all summer, so hopefully I don’t overdose.

2 Likes

Cameron Brannagan (remember him?) doubles Oxford’s lead, lovely finish. Wonder if they’ll ever finish that fourth stand or if it is doomed to be a car park.

4 Likes

Herbie Kane is playing for Huddersfield in this match.

Nice to see some of our youngsters having careers lower down. Used to disappear into nowhere.

3 Likes

Preston fire their manager after 1 game. Former Liverpool player Mike Marsh has taken over in the interim.

2 Likes

Poor Rooney, must be hearing this news with sweat dripping out his arse right about now.

1 Like

BBC article suggests he asked to leave and it was mutually agreed. Even so, madness to give somebody an entire pre season and then to move on after losing a game to a side who are favoured for promotion.

Rooney will be doubly sweaty given Preston got Lowe from Plymouth, where his stocks remains pretty high.

1 Like

Rooney was a major mistake, it will see how long Plymouth accept that mistake and move on.

I feel they will be relegated before they do sadly.

1 Like

Just a 2-0 loss too, against a side expected to finish well above them in the table. Must have been some fundamental disagreements about the overall situation.

I assume that there was more going on with Lowe, maybe some stuff in his personal life, that led to that decision to part ways. Preston fans seem very happy that he is gone though.

1 Like

Brannagan is a Premier League midfielder who has never played in the Premier League. I hope it makes it there one day.

2 Likes

It is remarkable how a run of about 8 decent games in his time with Derby has somehow convinced three other clubs to hire him, despite the accumulating evidence. He just isn’t a good manager. The tactical level in MLS is unimpressive, yet his DC United was routinely wrong-footed

3 Likes

Erm, I don’t think you’ve heard of a little thing called “Great players make great coaches”. It’s a hard and fast rule that always works.

3 Likes

Reuell Walter starting for Luton today, he was a player I highlighted as a top talent when he left Arsenal in the summer.

However I did also say that to me he is lacking massively in his defensive ability. Burnley have just opened the scoring after Walters left his winger to charge out from RB to close down the left back. The CB reacted by coming over to try and cover the space he left and the pass from Doughty went right through the middle, where the CB would have been. Had Walters just stayed where he was the goal probably doesn’t happen.

1 Like

Also from a Luton game

https://x.com/officialvizeh/status/1824784314162102716?s=61&t=VxX1vHU3NOwwNhlbyICG-g

2 Likes

Oh my :joy:

Not bad, not bad at all.

https://x.com/tekkersfoot/status/1827064695259643939

Bielsa-ball still in there somewhere…

2 Likes

Farke’s the manager. He’s been known to start plays from the back.

Yes, but that breakout was classic Bielsa

2 Likes