China - the irresistible rise

Why isn’t the USS Carl Vinson not right there already?!

Surely it didn’t just leave the area?

2 Likes

Reading the article, wasn’t it a problem about salvage, i.e. the USS Carl Vinson might not be equipped to carry out salvage missions.

1 Like

I meant in terms of it defending US property.

It’s in international waters. I don’t think they’re permitted to? At least that’s the way I read it, especially in that short blurb of the link preview.

Well, Russia and China seem to do whatever they want in international waters.

Didn’t something similar happened to a F-14 Tomcat with its Phoenix missiles payload dropped into the ocean, US and the then USSR raced to salvage the aircraft? My memory is a bit fuzzy on that.

Edit: Found an article on that - isn’t internet a wonderful thing (sometimes)?

2 Likes

who’s the dipshit who chose China for Olympics in the midst of a pandemic that started in/created by China?

Fucking SCENES

A lot of the commentary here is that the Olympics being in China is one the biggest obstacles to Putin escalating now against the Ukraine because he doesnt want to piss off Xi by drawing attention away from his Olympics.

Oh what times we live in (in which we’re livin’?)

1 Like

I think the timing will work nicely. The ground in Ukraine will be fully frozen by the time Putin has shown his face in Beijing. That way the tanks will be ready to roll.

To be fair, that decision would have been made 8-10 years ago, so Covid would have still been a hypothetical lab project :wink: when Beijing won the winter olympics.

3 Likes

wow, shit is going downhill fast over there. We’re likely to see the blow-back from this on our side of the water soon.

Between Russia, China and money pumped into economy for Covid its a perfect storm for inflation

1 Like

Looks like the measures are badly backfiring.
What do they think they are doing without delivery of provisions, completely nuts!

1 Like
1 Like

I wonder why they would think that :thinking: