Climate Catastrophe

Not wrong about most of the US, but Florida is particularly disastrous - as is most of the ‘New South’. I take your point about community design, but that is why I would say the choice is to live there in the first place.

the only reason I’d live in Florida. far too close to my ex-wife.

https://www.latitudemargaritaville.com/locations

was there 8 years ago with my wife/son on holidays, this exact date. it was 42C, was very tough to keep my son cooled off at 8mo old.

That’s true. To extend that thinking I have wondered when do we reach a point that heavy Climate investment is not political suicide?

Not quite that simple. London has a decent transport system, yet the roads etc are still crammed. Public transport there is also unpleasant. Travelling in from outside is even worse.

In principle the more people that use public transport the better. But we’re a long way off in the UK in making that a more broadly viable option.

don’t forget that before they were a supercar manufacturer, Lamborghini made farming tractors.

mechanized transportation was not originally intended to be a people mover.

Daily Mail I know, so probably wont be long before someone accuses me of being something other than “left”.
But just came across these scenes, and they are quite disturbing.
Probably get worse in the clamour for electric cars to protect future generations.
Fuck this generation of Africans though, they don’t count.

Devastating photos of cobalt mines in Democratic Republic of Congo that power Apple, Tesla and more | Daily Mail Online

1 Like

To be honest you could publish pictures from anyone at the arse end of capitalism and it would look horrendous. No-one likes to think what the shiny new toys in the pristine shop actually involve to get there. We just bitch about recycling the packaging.

The answer is simple: buy less stuff.

But, of course, that goes back to my earlier point: people don’t want to do anything that mildly inconveniences them.

2 Likes

I’m unlikely to go electric for that reason. I’d probably set fire to my garage trying to charge it anyway.

However, did I see that Norway has found a large mineral deposit?

It’s a misdirection. There are environmental and ethical issues with how the raw materials for any motor vehicle are obtained. There is a powerful vested interest in presenting the issues with electric as something novel

3 Likes

When I lived in the UK my wife and I shared a car, not for budget reasons but because we could. I would cycle, which was healthier, and there were public transport options, whether we were going into our local town, or London, or whatever.

That’s not the world we live in here in America, and with things more spread out, and no public transportation, not having a car is very unrealistic.

I am all for the consume less mantra and have tried to pass that onto my kids, as we live in a very materialistic place. I’m very old fashioned with regard to buying stuff. My first question is never can I afford it, but do I need it. Getting onto the relentless treadmill of having to keep up with others, or continually upgrade your stuff, is not only bad for the environment but bad for your mental health.

Part of the pleasure in my life these days is simple stuff, and trying to connect with nature. I have a hammock under a big willow tree in the garden, and today I will watch blue jays, cardinals, humming birds and assorted small creatures. Doing that will replenish my soul, and the way I see it, the environment will have more of an impact on me than the other way around.

3 Likes

Fair and valid point which I cannot argue against

I DEMAND a nipples in the wrong direction gif in recognition

Bear with me. As I hadn’t noticed it on the last one it’s probably going to take some time and a spirit level to find a second satisfactory gif

Do you live in a city Cynical? Most parts of the world that aren’t considered built-up urban won’t even have footpaths. How do you for instance navigate along a 50MPH road on foot that has absolutely no hard shoulder? In Australia, which I assume would be similar to USA, there is absolutely no connectivity of pedestrian routes. Unless you are trying to walk to your local milk bar to buy a litre of milk, you will not find even a remotely safe way to make medium distance walking journeys (5-10km).

In most parts of the world, the infrastructure simply doesn’t exist.

Fresh air? Growing your own veggies? Keeping poultry to live off?

Plenty of reasons not to live in a city. Far more than living in one.

all of this and then some. get the fuck away from the urban nutters.

We’re all guilty of buying “stuff”.
But I’m similar to you somewhat.
My mobile phone is years old, so is my laptop to name but 2 items.
The age group making the most noise about climate change, are the same age group who “must have” the latest Ipnone/Samusng every time there’s an available upgrade

1 Like

Nailed it

Dairy Farm Milk GIF by Rex Orange County

Disgusted Paris Hilton GIF