Climate Catastrophe

I only don’t expect anything because he’s a political coward, as can be seen from his reaction to Uxbridge and South Ruislip.

No, we’re doing great. Just look at this:

I can’t tell if he genuinely believes this is a vote-winner, or this is just asset-stripping before he leaves, giving it all away to his buddies and/or his wife.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/90sFootballUK1/status/1685601739917918208

1 Like

I’m not sure there is much value in comparing two individual days like this. Fairly easy to pick and choose to make any point that you like!

A bit of everything I reckon. Vote enticer to the right, sabotage to the following government, and asset strip as you say.

“But we’re doing carbon storage” they say.

Sunak is a cretin…

I’ll post again in here in about 2 years

1 Like

I think (more hope), that Sunak has completely miss judged his voters and is listening far too much to the ‘looney right’. Personal responsibility, protecting the environment for future generations, and the notion of ‘doing the right thing’ are all traditional conservative values. Hoping that him trying to use environmental policy to further stoke the culture war will only push more conservative voters to the Lib Dems and even the Greens.

Also, I’m not that concerned about the new licences. Green house gas emissions are a demand led problem, not supply. Also plenty of uses for oil that we will need it for far into the future that don’t involve burning it. Although in terms of messaging it isn’t great right now.

Because sensible governments shoot utter cunts. Ah, sorry, far left communist governments. Always get those confused.

Or looking at he big picture and ensure energy stability for the foreseeable?

Makes perfect sense to grant new licences.
I’m sure someone will try to correct me, but I heard that even in 2050 when we’re supposed to be fully carbon neutral, we will in fact still be relying on hydrocarbons for 25% of our energy.

Makes no sense to import it regardless of what your views are.

2 Likes

Would be nice not to need to burn it though.

Says me who drives a 32 year old van.

Shame if your 25% is correct but I suspect you’re right. Really long journey for a full energy transition but we ultimately need an alternative, I don’t know if current tech. can deliver that.

If wishes were honey, we’d have a cupboard full.

Agreed it should make sense to not have to import it, unfortunately with the way that the energy markets are structured it makes no difference as we’ll be paying the international market rates regardless.

Maybe so, but if we’re truly intent on lowering carbon emissions, and in acceptance that a percentage will still be burned, why would we not use our own, therefore cutting out the thousands of tonnes of diesel burned to transport imported product?

Or is it a case of not in my back yard?
I suspect so.

2 Likes

I think the vast majority of the gas we import is piped rather than shipped. But yea every bit helps I suppose.

Part of the issue is that that’s under the government’s “net zero strategy” which has been criticised for being inadequate and even then progress towards that has been insufficient.

It’s also highly dependent on carbon capture and storage which is still as of yet a pipe dream.

2 Likes

It was meant to have been trialled at Longannet power station. That was abandoned as being economically unviable in 2011. The pipe in question was demolished in 2021.

The problem with most of the big budget fixes is that they take focus away from the small budget fixes that are proven and work.

Just need to check, is this a reference to an actual physical pipe? Or a metaphorical pipe within which dreams flow?

Physical, although I intend the double meaning.

I’m a pretty strong advocate of doing the simple and obvious first when dealing with any issue.

This has another HS2, COVID response written all over it.