Climate Catastrophe

Yes because of the kiasu Singaporeans who like to drive far up north of Malaysia

1 Like

Kiasu (simplified Chinese: 惊输; traditional Chinese: 驚輸; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: kiaⁿ-su) is a term derived from the Hokkien “kia” meaning afraid and “su” meaning to lose.[1] It is commonly defined as “the fear of losing,” and is directed at a person who behaves competitively to either attain their goal or to get ahead of others.[1] The term has been part of the Singlish (formally known as Colloquial Singaporean English) lexicon spoken in Singapore since the 1980s

Genuinely learned something new today.

Not to digress but Singaporeans stereotype is that we Kiasu - scare to lose, Kiasee - cowardly scare to die, Kiabor- scare of wife

Damn, that must really complicate how the Korean car manufacturer names their models.

The word KIA in Hokkien is a wonder word, it is used in many Hokkien terms. For better understanding see this picture.

1 Like

Looking at Google Maps, it’s 700km from Singapore to George Town, Penang.

Isn’t that quite far to be doing in a single day regardless?

You be surprised , I have friends who drive often from Singapore all the way into Hatyai Thailand from early morning till the late evening, it’s fun to them as they do a convoy thingy. And because of the still infancy infrastructure for electric cars in both Singapore and Malaysia, they don’t like the risk of a pure electric cars so they either keep to pure petrol cars or hybrids. Honestly most pure electric car owners are the rich people in Singapore because they install a charger in their own private property. Our infrastructure has a long way to go.

if I remember correctly, not a lot of parking areas in downtown Singapore. was pretty easy to negotiate on public transportation. been 20 yrs now.

Parking now is pretty ok downtown most of the times nowadays but peak hours might take some time but there will always be a carpark within minutes walk.

I have given up my car this year, partly because of my financial situation and also I am now learning to enjoy the simple things in life and yes our public transport is really comprehensive as I found out.

2 Likes

My guess is you live on a little island!

Recently did a few 300+km drives in a single day, would not do again unless I had no choice.

Live on a little island that voted to make itself little.

I did 2400 miles in 4 days about 10 years ago - Orlando to Southern Oaxaca (1300 were done in the first day, which gives you a sense of just how difficult the driving was once you get into rural mexico). It was a wild experience, and simultaneously one of the coolest and most awful experiences of my life.

2 Likes

A lot depends on the roads, I’ve done Orange Calais and the other way round, 1000km, with the kids. It’s all motorway and can easily be done in a day with numerous stops (every 2 hours or less when you get tired).
I’ve also done the same journey on ‘A roads’ and it’s a lot harder (you need a good co-pilote so as to circumnavigate the road works for example) still would take about the same 12 hours or so if you could do it without the stops and conditions are favorable (ifs :roll_eyes: I normally end up stopping to sleep for 4 hours somewhere (always travel with a sleeping bag and for those that don’t know a towel is useful as well).

Depending on the road condition and speed limit, that would be roughly 7.5 hours assuming most of it is 100km/hr which would include a 30 minute break at some point.

Not a massive drive but if driving by yourself would leave you knackered by the end

I love driving long distance especially in new countries and places. I drove solo from London to Cardiff, to Snowdonia, to Holyhead and to Liverpool then to London over a few days. The longest drive in a day was probably the Liverpool to London? But I actually took more time when driving from Swansea to Betswy Co-ed because of unmarked roads etc but it was beautiful.

That’s the dilemma when you ask someone to give up say driving in context of climate change, driving does give us access to plenty of places otherwise I would not have seen.

I’m focusing on the knackered bit. If you’re doing it for pleasure as per @gasband’s example, I’m not sure why you’d do that to yourself…

I’d suggest that’s where cycling really comes into play. If you want to truly see a place, 30mph+ won’t really do it justice.

1 Like

It is always kind of adorable hearing Europeans talking about driving long distances.

hahahahahahaahhahaahhaahhahahahahahahaaaaa

did this in a 1990 Falcon S wagon, 20 years ago. found campgrounds on the ocean and camped out, from late April to early July. a week or two at each spot we liked. Sydney up to Port Douglas then back town to Brisbane.

2 Likes

How much per day though?