Climate Catastrophe

Way back when, a group of four of us drove from the RMR Mess Montreal to the Seaforth Mess in Vancouver, in about two and a half days. Vehicle was moving for at least 48 of those hours.

I like how we are giving evidence voluntarily of our contribution to climate change :rofl:

1 Like

Yep, for that Montreal to Vancouver trip, there would have been fewer emissions from the corresponding four passenger flights.

Nice.

Many many moons ago we went from Adelaide to Sydney, then to Brisbane and we were planning to go further up towards Port Douglas but a cyclone turned us round.

All done in a little Toyota Hiace camper.

1 Like

More than a little fed up of the weather at the moment. 4th week I think of rain here, not misty or odd showers, it’s full on heavy downpours for most of the day, sometimes supplemented with winds from an Atlantic storm system. Forecast for the week ahead doesn’t look any different either. It’s not cold, just unbelievably wet. Everything is absolutely saturated.

Looks like I’m going to have spend some time and money on house improvements if the weather breaks. Thinking about investing in a tower scaffold and a good roof ladder I think.

1 Like

Is that unusual for the area? We are seeing just a couple of degrees warmer, which is the difference between deep snow on the ground, and intermittent melting/wet snowfall.

Yeah I think so. We certainly are one of the wetter areas of the UK, but the durations and intensity seem another step higher. We would often get what I would call mountain rain, which is essentially a very thick and wet mist. That would always clear after a day or two and you’d get some dry days and so on. But you’d also get regular frosts etc. This has just been solid rain for 4 weeks. Frost wise, nothing in the last month. This pattern is becoming far more common these last few years. We had snow this time 2 years ago.

Then the Summers were always a bit of a mixed bag. Last spring we had a 6 week heatwave, maybe longer with not a drop.

Saying that, it’s cleared slightly but I’m not holding my breath

1 Like

It’s unusually warm here in the south of France however just a week ago it was very cold. We have even had mistrals which is rare this time of year. It’s wierd!

1 Like

Black and White Mistrals? I thought they’d been banned :thinking:

That’s because I’m in AEDT. Xmas nearly finished here.

I have driven to FL on vacation from my house in Indiana many times, going over 1000 miles in a day to get to the destination (over 1600 km).

Easy driving, only need satnav at the very end to find the villa rental. I have it in my mind - Indianapolis - Louisville - Nashville - Chattanooga - Atlanta (which is a bugger to drive through, 8 lanes each direction and the traffic still crawls) - keep going south to Florida.

I can only drive as far as somewhere like Tampa or Clearwater. Going further, say to Miami, or Naples, is definitely a two day trip or a flight.

I didn’t know I could drive 1000 miles in a day until I made a deal with Mrs ROTW when we first moved here. We were driving back home and the intent was to stop in Nashville overnight, before doing the last five hours the next day.

I was feeling good, so I said how about I drive us all the way home, and the money we were going to use on the hotel, perhaps I should put it towards a new putter?

So that’s what I did. New putter. Jobs a good un :joy:

And the handicap?

I play off 8. Happy enough with that. I’d like to think I could go a bit lower if I played more, but I don’t have the time. The short game is where it gets a bit iffy, if I’m not playing as much.

1 Like

And now to add to the utter shite weather we have a full on thunderstorm.

WTF? A tornado reported in greater Manchester?

1 Like

They are surprisingly more common than you would imagine although usually over sea. That’s what water spouts are.

1 Like

Yes, much easier to produce the thermal balance conditions that produce them over water, though they are much shorter in lifespan. But I don’t recall the last time I heard of one in the UK.

In this region, they have gone from one every few years to several every summer.

1 Like

I think they may be getting more common over urban areas which is where they tend to get noticed.