Climate Catastrophe

Brilliant engines, car less so. I learned to do so many mechanical jobs on it though, very much big lego.

4 Likes

I think this raises lots of questions of football clubs not exclusively related to travel and we are not excused from that.

I understand that we use a lot of lighting to keep the grass green at Anfield for example. I would welcome the club looking at ways it could reduce its carbon footprint.

1 Like

Given the relatively short distances, and the sheer tediousness of post-2001 air travel, I am surprised that flights are used particularly often. A one hour flight all too often becomes a three hour project. But I suppose between traffic delays and the time savings of charter flights, there has been a logic to doing it.

Looks like the COP is entering the last stations of the cross. Civil society observers doing the customary protest-walkout, the Parties preparing to ‘show their determination’ by going late, adding extra time to the negotiations. Only question now is whether or not enough of an outcome can be cobbled together to allow it to be spun as a success. It is a little perverse to see the usual groups doing their usual performance condemning the COP as a performance. of course it is, and they are part of the show.

Probably the single most important tangible measure in play right now is ending fossil fuel subsidies. Any nation that retains those subsidies past the next year or so, particularly the tax credits, has to know that the capital flows in the status quo will overwhelm any transition spending, rendering net zero in 2030 impossible.

edit: They’ve given up the farm. Now it is just ‘inefficient’ subsidies, with no definition of what inefficient means. Fiona Harvey of the Guardian naively states

it’s hard to see how you could actually justify tax breaks as subsidies for oil and gas majors as “efficient”

and takes the language as allowing fuel use subsidies for the disadvantaged. The Canadian oil and gas exploration tax credit is wonderfully efficient. The business case is impeccable, over time the treasury expects to receive over $4 of revenue for every $ of tax credit.

2 Likes

So I’ve just read that by 2050 Stamford Bridge is set to be partially flooded annually.

So it’s not all bad news.

3 Likes

I am fairly sure that Tuchel has a hidden set of gills, so he won’t miss a beat

Good article from Bill McKibben, pointing at the essential truth - the outcome of a COP is largely determined in advance. Pointing at the number of ‘fossil fuel representatives’, disingenuous count or otherwise, is a red herring. The really brutal question facing us now is the number of regimes that simply are not susceptible to climate activism in any existing form.

This week got a little interesting.

Ended up doing a structural check and advice on a flood defence wall to protect a water treatment works. The wall is 2.4m high and they expect it to be flooded to the top on a regular basis by 2050. After that the occurrence could be monthly.

People need to understand these kind of numbers somehow.

1 Like

India is choking on smog.
Forces change on coal limits.
:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Would have been better not changing the text and condemning those nations pushing for weaker text. Imagine if they came out and said, we are not going to water down the deal for nations that only pay lip service to protecting the environment.

To be serious nations need to show some balls. Imagine if the EU introduced a carbon footprint tariff on goods imported. Or said we will only import goods from countries by 2040 who obtain 75% of their energy from non fossil fuels.

1 Like

That would be good but not sure that the EU could really do that without appearing hypocritical given the coal usage of Germany and Poland.

I find it a bit harsh to criticise, because nuclear power carries a terrible fear for many, which I find understandable to be honest even though newer nuclear technology is quite safe. But it’s a bit tragic that Germany closed down all of its nuclear power plants. It is so much power we are talking about and it is is so hard to replace with renewable (not really possible in short term).

However , I thought Germany didn’t burn coal for power, but instead used it only for industry ? Maybe I am wrong though. Perhaps I am. Anyway, Nordstream 2 is finished so Uncle Vladimir will supply much needed gas. Cleaner, but not clean of course. Almost caused a major geopolitical internal rift in NATO, but everyone and their dog understood which way that was going after Germany closed their reactors.

No, still just below 25% of total generation, RWE and Vattenfall are the two largest.

I agree about the German panic around nuclear, but it also came after two generations of Green activism against nuclear power, one of which predated the climate change concern.

1 Like

I’ve sometimes wondered what their current thoughts on nuclear are?

If they are full on then they would support 100% renewables I guess, combined with an overall reduction in consumption. It’s right but the vast majority of people aren’t on that page and probably never will be. They’ll say no to nuclear but still insist on charging their phone.

I feel we’re locked into finding a technological solution which I’m not sure I’m 100% comfortable with. It feels too restrictive and too risky from an environmental perspective.

The nuclear debate is history in Germany. There is no political will or groundswell of public opinion in favour of reopening that can of worms.

There is strong support for renewables, and a very strong wind power sector. Electric vehicles are becoming increasingly common.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what nuclear energy can provide at the moment anyway. Doesn’t it take decades just to commission a single plant? Meaning that if projects start now, they wouldn’t be complete until too close to 2040/2050?

Consistent Megawatts is the answer I think but you’re right, it doesn’t happen overnight.

There are gains to be made by looking at existing sites I guess but with the need to push reactor technology you’re up against it time wise.

The idea of going 100% renewables is great but I’m not convinced it’s feasible, not without a step change in consumption or another alternative that is available straight off.

Plus the whole renewable thing is still awkward. Everyone’s for it until a wind or solar farm is planned in your back yard.

But we’d all love to live within 50 km of a nuclear reactor

2 Likes

Also true.

Worth noting, I do live quite near one and the benefits to the local jobs market etc has been immeasurable. It has skewed the economy slightly with wages associated with the plant being higher than the local average but still a benefit I’d say.

Difficult to measure how much local resentment there has been of the site to be honest.