Climate Catastrophe

What exactly are the downsides of this? I think they look beautiful, and the only time I’ve been near a wind farm my own problem with it was the amount of wind, but I suspect that’s not caused by the farm…

Beans for breakfast maybe?

Depends what else goes on there and nearby. Tricastin the central near me has plants that are involved with reproceesing (waste) and enrichessement. These are much more problematic. The electricity producing part is very tame in comparison.
They are looking to increase the plant from it’s 4 ‘little’ reactors and due to the jobs it’s going to create the town of Bollene is pretty much all for it. Then the vaucluse has the worst unemployment in the PACA region which is causing immense problems socially.

What do you mean you’re not supposed to eat three tins at one go???

It is within reach, but expensive. You need storage to address intermittency, which at scale probably means hydrogen and the resultant 50% hit to final energy.

Many see them as an eye sore or are concerned with noise. Do they make any noise? I’ve not been close enough to any to say.

There is noise, but not particularly loud, and at speed most of it is not audible to the human ear.

The effects on birds are not great, birds don’t see the blades once they get up over about a 9 m/s windspeed, and get mulched when they fly through.

1 Like

Good to hear, really encouraging. I’ve recently stumbled onto some info on hydrogen storage and stuff but I need to read up on it more.

I’m becoming increasingly tempted to seriously look at converting my little VW van to electric but the cost is still a bit too mad.

No Way Wow GIF

Come On What GIF by MOODMAN

It’s hard to calculate the number of birds (and other creatures) killed by the effects of fossil fuels though.

1 Like

So wind isn’t the answer because of birds.

Should we look at tidal or do the fish get munched?

Solar and kill the grass?

Pretty sure the wind turbines now have something to discourage birds from going near them. Not just pictures of @SBYM but something technological. Maybe something that makes them easier for birds to spot?

1 Like

Reminded of this great moment in the history of political oratory

Giant scarecrows?

1 Like

How does he get away with this shit?

And the audience cheer :roll_eyes:

gold.

pure gold.

Yes, to some degree. Big part is not siting them right on migratory routes to begin with.

Way back when I was peripherally involved in this at Pincher Creek