Climate Catastrophe

Tidal blades don’t move that fast. Same power equation, Power = Area * Density * Velocity^3, but with wind the density is so much lower that the power curve (amount generated versus wind speed) is usually optimized to be at full power at ~10 m/s or above, at which the tip speed is so high the blades become invisible. The much higher density of seawater means that a 4 m/s current produces far more power. It also means the blade diameter for tidal is a fraction of wind, for 1MW of windpower you need 55 meter blades, for tidal is just 17 meters.

1 Like

I wonder why we don’t look at tidal more. Big tides in the UK.

The Severn estuary is supposed to have one of the largest tidal ranges in the World (think there are only two in Canada that are larger).

It’s long been considered as a great location for renewable energy. Ultimately I think it’s bound to happen.

[Giving up on getting link to work!]

1 Like

Yes I’m just surprised it hasn’t yet. I’ve worked on the Second Severn and it rips.

Plans for the Swansea tidal lagoon shelved also. Also thinking of one in North Wales, also shelved.

1 Like

From the BBC, regarding the Swansea project:

Business and Energy Secretary Greg Clark said the £1.3bn project was not value for money

Which is shorthand for none of his mates were in on the deal, so he scrapped it.

2 Likes

I don’t think tidal lagoons are the right direction - barrage technology has significant environmental consequences.

There are projects working to put instream tidal current generation in place in the UK. The European center for tidal power development is actually at Kirkwall, not quite sure how that is going to work long-term. But as a result, the Orkneys draw a respectable amount of power from tidal generation.

Off Wales, I am working with a group that is planning on installing a pilot-stage system as part of the Morlais demonstration area, off Anglesey. Deployment will likely be 2023.

The largest tidal range in the world is the Bay of Fundy - the Minas Basin is staggering. That is the centre of most Canadian deployment efforts. I did have an interest in a company that was doing a project there, but was bought out. I don’t think it is the right place to pioneer - the resource is spectacular, but project after project has struggled to deal with the phenomenal forces in the water.

3 Likes

I’ll look up the Morlais scheme. I’d have thought the Menai Straits would be a good option if they could minimise the environmental impact.

They would be reasonable - depth being the main problem, but at places like Price’s Point, there is possibly enough depth, and the current of ~2.5 m/s has some potential. Not a great resource, but possible.

I have looked at Nakwakto Rapids. Incredible resource…nowhere near anything.

1 Like

Loving my role as TAN’s new whipping boy.

simpsons-whip

At least Naby and Taki will get some time off…

3 Likes

Job for life bud.

2 Likes

I’m quite sure that this is exactly Bolsonaro’s goal. And I’m not joking.

Sort of highlights why getting land use and forestry into the UNFCCC system in a more robust way is absolutely critical - the only economic interests lining up to preserve the Amazon are really the indigenous people…who have a 500+ year history of being driven off the land whenever a settler wants to use it.

1 Like

And to make it in the first place :wink:

Wtf.

1 Like

Why is there no renewable energy from hair? The amount I see daily at the barber after haircuts should be enough to power an A380. We can call it Hairnergy.

Fascinating idea. This is basically the same mechanism that is causing massive problems with concrete structures from road salts, sea water, chlorides basically.

1 Like