Climate Catastrophe

Ate a Shepherds Pie once that was made with Quorn… Could not tell the difference between the normal red meat mince that it was usually made with.

1 Like

Stupid self-defeating nonsense showing the collective damage caused by corporate capture of governments.

2 Likes

Just scoffed a lasagne with it. Works. I need to work on my vege vegan bechamel sauce though.

I was expecting 0.2 degrees or something. Bloody hell (possibly literally)

“In March, sea surface temperatures off the east coast of North America were as much as 13.8C higher than the 1981-2011 average.”

1 Like

That is the extremes but even the averages are way above what has previously been measured for this time of year.

To me that suggests some kind of threshold or breaking point was reached and it’s triggered an acceleration.

I hope it’s a blip but my sceptical side thinks otherwise.

1 Like

Saw an interesting item on Linkedin recently about this.
The demand for “things”, which is an endless list, which are derived from oil cause as pollution as anything.
So the people berating diesel car owners who fly regularly, whilst owning and replacing multiple examples of these “things” should pipe down.

3 Likes

Weather systems have been absolutely bizarre. We lost electrical service for 4 days due to a massive ice storm, three days later we were just short of our first 30 deg C day of the year, reaching 28 C

1 Like

If you look at the 2016 figure it was almost as high but peaked earlier. They have different effects depending on whether they hit during the northern or southern summer. That had some catastrophic side effects but this year will presumably be different. Quite how, I don’t know.

I don’t think they are inextricably linked. One can berate diesel car owners (but not necessarily related to carbon emissions since they would perform better than petrol cars on that unless I’m much mistaken) who fly regularly (since the emissions from flying are worse because they are emitted above the cloud layer) but still reduce and not replace these “things” to which you refer.

They’re not mutually exclusive, and your constant defending of the oil and gas industry is getting tiresome.

I accept that we can’t transition fully away from them yet, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be investing all our efforts into doing so, including transitioning away from plastic rubbish.

To be fair with @Dane, he earns his living with this industry, so it’s only normal that he defends it. I for one like to read different opinons on this subject, especially when it comes from someone who knows it from the inside.

I also believe that he has a point when it comes to general consumation of objects using oil as basis material. We all consume them. The thing is that in order to provoke a genuine change, things have to change in people’s minds when buying and travelling.

For instance, when you buy your kid a new toy, what is it made of? Sometimes, you have no choice, but then again, sometimes you have.

When you decide to take holidays, where will you go, and how? As an example, a pair of friends of mine recenly went from Switzerland to the Marquise Islands and back within just a bit more than a week. This is total madness, and I certainly told them so.

(Strongly agree with your last paragraph.)

1 Like

Yup, cheers.
Nothing more tiresome than someone with an opinion on absolutely everything, all based on a Google search and little on actual experience of the subject matter.

If anyone actually thinks that people who work in oil & gas make no efforts in other parts of their life to reduce waste and things that are harmful to the planet, then they’re even more naïve than I thought they were.

1 Like

On the contrary, I agree completely with @Hope.in.your.heart about what you bring to the table.

I also completely agree that carbon emissions aren’t the only problematic thing to do with oil. I think there’s a ghastly amount of plastic waste that we need to address as a global society.

I also do think that many activists are very much fixated on single issues, to the detriment of ignoring the larger picture.

I just don’t think that your constant getting a jibe in at environmentalists at every turn is contributing anything at all. The focus on individual activists is very much a distraction compared to the larger issues at hand.

1 Like

Think you need to revisit Google to refresh yourself on the meaning of constant and every turn.
There’s 1875 posts in here, and I doubt there’s more than a dozen are mine.

Change is afoot… but things take time. From Oil demand to Wind
They have just agreed to spend £300m on this project to start building Wind Turbines and such -
They are awaiting your CV @Dane :0)

It is also an industry created purposeful distraction

Industry makes changes that increase their bottom line that force consumers into different practices (a switch from renewable material to plastics, planned senescence, denied of right to fix, accelerated planned senescence) and then funds programs to convince people that smart consumer choices (that we really have very little choice in) are the key to sustainability and ecological health.

Am I ok to drive my 32 year old van that will run on petrol and LPG?

Not the most economic vehicle but does ok and isn’t filled to the rafters with precious metals. Dunno if I should he concerned about that. Vehicle tax is a killer though.

Only 8 more years before it’s tax free (based on current rules)

my 1984 motorhome runs strictly on LPG. has never been run on petrol. LPG getting harder to find here.

Same but thankfully I have one local garage that has it and I don’t really venture very far these days. I’ve no need. I do need to get the system working again though.

I signed up for a fuel card with a major propane distributor and did my LPG test. so now I can fill up at any of their locations. too many times I’ve been on the road and the fuel station has an autogas pump but their staff doesn’t have a ticket.