Cody GAKPO: 2022/23

Ha!

1 Like

He looks much better through the middle for sure.

Put my hands up…
Turned out to be a gudden

1 Like

Wow saying a player looks slow, the insult of the year…

We just smashed our biggest rivals for the biggest margin for all times and you’re petty point scoring?

Bet you’re fun a parties

1 Like

:face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

Here’s another hot take, since we’re doing that on the day we just battered United for internet points.

One of the criticisms of him early on was he wasnt doing much to force his way into games. Today he was really looking for ways to impact the game. Especially when the game started getting chippy and it was possible to kick us out of it he made even more of a point of going looking for the ball and was willing to deal with the hear. Really impressive performance all around.

2 Likes

Brilliant post match, so calm level headed guy. Speaks fantastically.

Thanks Pep for pointing him out to the club :innocent:

1 Like

Clearly a false 9 and not a striker :wink:

What’s that, his eighth start? Joined a team in crisis. Nice to see him come good. And really, has bedded in quickly, all things considered.

4 Likes

Good save.

I actually posted my comment in the wrong thread, I was looking for Antony’s.

His 1st goal he cut in from out wide, but I agree he is filling Bobby’s boots excellently as the false 9

Still very much early days, he has the quality for sure…and I’ve no doubt Klopp will get it out of him.

Both goals taken were world class…2nd one reminded me of the Coutinho goal against them (think at Old Trashfod) when he dinked it.

1 Like

Most players take time to pick up Klopp’s football. It’s just that the first few games for us, Gakpo showed no agression, and half arsed attempts at pressing.

Then a few games ago, he started to show that bit of anger in him, and has slowly got into gear. Now things are looking rosy with him, and can continue to build.

In previous games, did some nice work deeper, and his pressing has come into play. Against United, he showed the runs and finishing he did as in Netherlands.

5 Likes

I’m not really a fan of signings off the back of World Cup performances. Don’t get to watch Eredivisie. Obviously, he scored a lot there. So did Jozy Altidore. He’s already our fourth leading scorer, so pleasantly surprised.

I’m not that surprised. At his previous club he wasnt asked to do a lot of this stuff.

1 Like

I just never get the need to write off players so quickly. Especially when coming into a team which in itself has been so out of form.

Even if they have a bad game or aren’t showing much, where’s the benefit of calling it out? (that’s a rhetorical question)

1 Like

Yeah Eredivisie is a strange league for signing players, seems like they either become legends (RVP, RVN, Suarez, Robben, Kuyt, Frenkie, Eriksen, Bergkamp etc) or absolute flops (Kalou, Babel, Bergwijn, Weghorst, Depay, Antony, Martinez etc)

Think we watched the World Cup games together, I’m sure you saw what I saw which was a player, raw player, but with a lot of talent and an eye for goal…only other games I watched him in were the Europa games v Arsenal just before the WC and he looked bright.

Like most I wanted a midfielder (or 2 because I’m greedy for this club) in the winter, but I was excited when we signed him and very happy he’s here.

What a signing, credit to klopp and Co. :clap::clap:

2 Likes

He played brilliant 100% and I like him as a player. but definitely could have used that money for a midfielder. I’ll die on that hill

1 Like