Cody GAKPO: 2022/23

If Jones is finally good to go and has at least an hour of football in him, I’d probably bench Gakpo. He has come into the club with the immediate need of a body used to playing on the left, it’s not the best situation for sure.

Jones isn’t a LW or striker though. Would rather see Jones in CM all day long than try to shoe horn him into an attacking position. If we need to mix it up up front, I’d be picking Carvalho over Jones too.

Right now, nobody can be too picky. Jones has the ability to play in the inside left channel. Doesn’t have to be a 4-3-3, I’d change the structure to 4-4-2 for a few games anyway. Jones’ best CM position clashes with Thiago’s, who is a rare performer at the moment. Carvalho had his chances, now it would be nice to see what Jones can do.

1 Like

Fair enough.

Personally, I don’t think Jones is good enough for the club at the moment, and I don’t think Carvalho’s been doing badly for us. But, I’d still rather Cody over both in the attacking trio.

Jones has played some pretty good games for us, Carvalho is yet to show any of that. I’m not saying I’d bench Gakpo for a whole month, right now we literally can’t look too far ahead. But he doesn’t seem ready and I’d opt for someone who knows more what we’re trying to do.

When? 2021?

Jones was a LW at every level before he got to the first team, in fairness. He has much more experience playing wide than centrally.

2 Likes

Damn, rules me out of a start then.

Still more than Carvalho and Gakpo. Right now, people like Jones, Elliott and Carvalho can forget about what are their favourite/ideal world roles. We’re not talking about putting them at CB. Plus, some of them got chances in midfield and failed to perform, like Elliott. Jones playing LCM or inside left, doesn’t change much about his game. He won’t do the Salah role if he plays on the left between the lines. Right now, our options there are Ox and Gakpo, not great.

Jones was good at left wing vs Napoli. Better than Gakpo’s two games and any of Carvalho’s starts.

1 Like

Never has been, never will be.

Putting the scouse sentiment aside, he’s average at best. Wouldn’t even get into Newcastle’s Brighton’s or Brentford’s side. Or even Fulham for that matter.

In one thread you berate the club for not using academy players, in another you berate the academy graduates being used for not being good enough.

Jones isn’t here on ‘scouse sentiment’, he’s here because he was, by far, the best player in Premier League 2 at 18. Maybe it won’t work out long term for him in our team but he’s earned his chance, it’s not been handed to him.

5 Likes

Jones has been a member of the first team for a few years now, was all for him being given the chance at 18 after seeing him come up…and I’ve also seen him regress season after season, ridiculous injuries and other unexplained absences from the squad…simply not good enough, has had enough chances, time to say goodbye.

I’ve berated other academy graduates? Like who? I’ve called for the likes of Doak Ramsay and Bajcetic to start more games. What other academy graduates are people speaking about?

Jones is one of our best press resilient players, something the side is crying out for. I’d much rather a player keep a ball a second too long than treat it like a nuclear fucking warhead anytime it comes close.

1 Like

Multiple things can be true at the same time.

Short term, we could do with a fit Curtis Jones right now, competing for at least two positions (mostly LCM and inside left between the lines).

Long term, the question is still out there how far he will go at Liverpool. He got a new contract on the basis of not much in the last season or two, but it’s probably more to protect his value.

If Jones was fit he would be in the CM for me no question. Over two of the current ones.

Do you not remember Forest?

Didn’t watch it but again no one really covered themselves in glory and it wasn’t a patch on the last two however bad it was.

But you didn’t watch it…

Ok l, yeah he was garbage I guess.

Losing 1-0 to a Forest team at the bottom who couldn’t buy a point sort of suggests the loss wasn’t on a half fit Curtis Jones alone.

As I made the point if he was fully fit. He hasn’t been but that’s probably the case with several of them.

1 Like