Comparison between Klopp & Rodgers

Brendon wasnt too far away from winning the league in 13/14 and that was remarkable when you consider that he had a shit keeper and shit defence but ultimately we had to score 3 just to get a point and you wont win league that way.
When you look back Mig, Sakho, Flanagan and Cissokho couldve had a PL winners medal but…they couldnt defend but were decent going forward.

His biggest mistake was playing into Maureen’s hands when we lost 2-0 - a draw would’ve been fine but after Stevie slipped we were terrible and started shooting from 40 yards.

Then after losing Suarez we blew the money on a ton of average players and that was the end of that.
For me he shouldve been sacked at Half Time when losing to Stoke. But no we gave the man who brought in Balotelli to replace Suarez more money to spunk on Benteke who was the same player in that he didnt move or score much.

That semi final against Villa was another game he couldve been sacked after as he played about 20 different formations in the 2nd half as we were awful.

Plus who can forget the envelopes in that programme. That was so cringe.

2 Likes

I disagree strongly regarding Sakho. He was actually a lot better on the ball than he looked. I think he usually had some of the league’s best passing completion rates, at least under Jürgen.

1 Like

He played like Bambi on Ice.

Also was a guy who lunged forward into tackles rather needlessly. Not something that you asosciate with vvd and matip

I think you’re confusing the Rodgers of then at us and the Rodgers of now in terms of transfers. Rodgers then came in as Shankly reincarnated with a soundbite for every occasion and ideas of being the ultimate decision maker at the Club and reflected that view in his first press conference as manager when he absolutely made it clear that he was not going to work under a Director of Football (that was the first alarm bell ringing). The Club then appointed the by now infamous Transfer Committee, which all clubs have in reality except we were the only ones stupid enough to give it a name and thus a stick to beat themselves with. Rodgers saw himself as the old fashion British manager who needed nobody to tell him how to run a club or who would a good transfer but the transfer committee stood in the way of that and so commenced years of wrangling and players not fit to be at the Club ending up wearing the shirt while gathering some pretty decent talent along the way as well but with it being such a hodge podge of a style of play with very little clarity it just was destined to be a disaster and so it turned out.

The Rodgers of now does have people making the transfer decisions for him and a Director of Football in place and Leicester have unearthed some pretty good players in the past few years. Some of those were definitely not down to Rodgers as he’d just come in and the players had been ear marked or on loan at the club already. Others like last season could be down to him, who knows :man_shrugging:. To say look at his transfers at Leicester now is a massive generalization of who is responsible for them.

Klopp is completely the opposite and sought harmony with everyone knowing that different ideas can lead to solutions that may have been overlooked with the most incredible example of that being Salah. He actually wanted Brandt at the time and Edward’s and Co presented him with Salah who he had then used to devastating effect.

As to the style of play, Klopp has a template and we stick to it with maybe a few variations here and there but it’s our style of play and by and large our players are interchangeable and plug and play because of that clear direction whereas Rodgers doesn’t. His teams play with various tactics which changes intermittently and that makes for a flake style as that chopping and changing filters down to the players. There is no comparison to Klopp and Rodgers other than they both generally have 11 men on the pitch running after a round ball and any resemblance to Klopp’s style is accidental at best on a given day where that formation and style was the flavor in training. It’s akin to a broken clock being right twice a day.

2 Likes

Really, this couldn’t at least wait until the international break?

2 Likes

It’s somewhat like comparing apples and oranges, since Klopp has better players and more pull. That being said, he largely helped build where we are now from where Brendan left it.

To be clear, Brendan was (is) a less-experienced manager than Jurgen, and I think the former is a much better manager than he was six years ago. That said, Klopp seems to have a great balance between a philosophy and pragmatism. When he first came in, we seemed to rely a lot on the press, as it was what had worked so well at Dortmund. Seeing teams sit deep against us forced him to rethink our style of play slightly to great effect, and we’ve made small tactical evolutions since into a very versatile side that can win games any number of ways. With Rodgers, it all felt a bit “wild” as Zoran said. Our defensive issues didn’t stop when Klopp came in, really not being rectified until Virgil arrived, but Rodgers didn’t seem to have a clear defensive philosophy; meanwhile, Klopp seems to have a different level of knowledge in terms of how to press even if it wasn’t being executed the way he wanted; you hear him talk about the distances between players, the angles, etc. whereas I never heard that with Rodgers. To be fair, he is probably right when he claims he would have won the League with a better defence: without Carragher alongside him, Skrtel had 0 leadership capabilities, Lovren was supposed to be that leader but turned out to be a headcase, Sakho showed promising signs but was ultimately inconsistent, Toure was clearly past his best, and he didn’t fancy Agger. And that’s not even considering Mignolet made howlers in the away losses to Man City and Chelsea, which could be said were decisive in the title race. In an attacking sense, he did well to get the best out of Suarez in both of their years together, I would argue, but when he left and Sturridge was out all that time, he seemed to be throwing stuff at a wall and seeing what stuck…and the fact that he took credit for going to 3 at the back and a (somewhat underwhelming IMHO) unbeaten run in winter 2014-15 only to get dominated by United the Sunday after that statement was pretty telling.

Some of that is just having better players, but you see that Klopp pretty much built the team from scratch when he came in. In terms of recruitment, it’s obvious that Klopp has more to choose from given his pull as a manager, but he also seems to have an excellent understanding of what kind of player he wants: it seems like he buys the player to fit the system rather than the inverse. Brendan (without UCL football or Klopp’s pull, it has to be said) bought in Allen and Borini to start, players whom he genuinely wanted, and Sturridge and Coutinho performed well during 13-14, but then post-Suarez seemed to buy players that didn’t really fit the system; not even speaking about Balotelli, but the move for Benteke was puzzling, as it seemed to be the antithesis of everything his pass-and-move style stood for. (I know we needed a center forward given Sturridge’s lack of availability, but not that one necessarily.)

In terms of the media, I used to roll my eyes at some of Rodgers’ press conferences — to be fair, I was in one when he was in Boston in 2012 — because he seemed to just speak in cliches. Klopp seems to speak a bit more authentically. I prefer Klopp’s style, but just an opinion.

TL;DR: Klopp has built the club from where Brendan had it to where it is now. In one sense, that made it easier for us to get the players we wanted — a virtuous cycle — but simply buying players without a plan is rarely successful (lol, United). IMHO Rodgers is a far better manager now than he was, so that needs to be remembered, but I don’t know that — hypothetically, if the shoe was on the other foot — he would have been able to take us from where we were in the same way Klopp did.

1 Like

The reason we failed to win the league that year had little to do with our need to score highly but that we lacked enough depth at the tail-end of the season. Suarez had been carrying a knee injury since February and Hendo missed key games through suspension after being sent off against City.

For Brendan to get that liverpool squad to compete for the premier league title was commendable in itself… That early success probably worked against him. The pressure to get quick results etc with someone who clearly wasnt experienced enough for the job probably done him…both w.r.t transfers as well as everything else

1 Like

I’d probably say it with my experience in sales management in one of my prev jobs.

I got very good output with a limited squad and then was given some freedom to hire more guys… With that freedom came added pressure and i ended up hiring guys who in hindsight and despite my misgivings at the time of the interviews etc , i would never have done…

Fuck, don’t suggest something like that. Brendan would be, “you had me at wifeswap”.

This thread is, frankly, a bit embarrassing.

5 Likes

But Klopp sought the fullbacks that could play the style he wanted. Yes he’d have to play differently without them, but that’s not the point when it comes to how they set their teams up differently. Hence my wifeswap notion - that you will never really be able to compare unless the pair have the same tools.

The only direct comparison might be Klopp’s first few fixtures as manager, where he changed the approach - but even at that point, Brendan was in trouble and swapping stuff around hoping something would stick in an attempt to save his job.

Yep - international break fodder!

Albeit I’ve taken part!

I don’t get the point of this thread. Klopp is on a whole different tier as manager. Rodgers may share all of Klopp’s ideas about football; he will never be able to implement them as well as Klopp does. In fact it goes beyond that. Rodgers had his shot at managing Liverpool and came up woefully short. He is simply a good manager who might become very good some day at a bigger club. Klopp succeeded him and went on to restore Liverpool to its former status after decades of failures and ineptitude. The magnitude and the legacy of what he’s achieved at the club will encompass far more than numbers, tactics and trophies.

There is no comparison between the two and even the idea itself is a bit insulting.

1 Like

yeah but I think a comparison between tactics would be a more interesting discussion, particularly one that goes into the real detail of each.

In the one corner, a 180-page dossier. In the other corner, genius.

3 Likes

Not many managers are going to withstand a direct comparison with Klopp. The man is probably the best manager on the planet.

1 Like

Like i said… This was more into the tactics of the current brendan Rodgers and then comparison with klopp.

Yeah he did well with about 14 players.
But our midfield went to shit for the Chavs game when Hendo was suspended.
Who can forget that Aspas corner v Chavs? Unreal.

You can’t possibly compare the on field tactics without looking at the character, motivational and delegation skills of Klopp, which is where the major difference lies. BR seemed more possession based which is strange because our possession stats are amazing in our current team. There is more likely more of a gulf of tactics between BR/Klopp vs Rafa.

2 Likes