Curtis JONES: 2022/23

Never say never…but id imagine its more growing pains than overloading

1 Like

It’s unlikely to have developed over that short of a period.

1 Like

It may have exacerbated an ongoing problem.
But that would have been tested in matches anyway.
Its a pity because despite some of the negative commentary on him in here, he still has the capacity to be a massive player for us.

1 Like

I am hoping he becomes a big player for us. It’s a shame he hasn’t been fit while there has been an opportunity, and need, for him to stake a claim.

You know, the goddamn Strasbourg friendly.

Jones was in the squad last night. :partying_face:

2 Likes

Come on Curtis lad. Hopefully he sees some action soon, and stakes a claim, as there’s a sense that our midfield will go through a reshuffle, and spots are up for grabs.

2 Likes

I missed the latter part of the game last night. How did he do?

Kept the ball under pressure and worked hard down the left getting forward and more importantly helping out Tsimikas. Good performance.

2 Likes

His resistance to press is amazing. He is always calm and gets out of difficult positions with ease; although folks like me were shit scared hoping he hoofs the ball in dying minutes in situations where he is stuck. Never change, Curtis. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

He did well when he came on. Showed for the ball, passed it well, had a decent chance and got a shot off.

I am hoping he puts his injury problems behind him and kicks on as a player, putting it together for a stretch, as it is not difficult to see he could have a very good future here.

1 Like

Klopp showing faith in giving him the Thiago role today. Meant he had to release the ball quicker than he usually does. Needs a few more games off the bench to get up to match speed.

1 Like

Was somewhat suprised to see several posters lambasting Jones. He was ok, kept the ball and recycled it. Nothing to write home about but still better than a lot of the seniors. Especially since this was his first start in months.

6 Likes

100% crazy he is getting any grief, I’d be looking at Fabinho, Firmino, Van Dijk, Robbo as seniors not delivering today.

He did well today, especially considering it’s his first start in quite a while.

1 Like

If Fabinho played this season like Jones played today, I’d be much more confident in our ability to grind out points (we might even win a league match again). For someone who’s not match fit, he was excellent at protecting the ball and releasing it, most of the time it was followed by the right pass. Yes, he needs to play it quicker, yes, he needs to be more consistent and less flashy but hopefully that will come with time. Yes, we’ve been saying it for a while but it was the first time that I remember him playing in a deeper role. Klopp needs to find an alternative to Alcantara quickly as well, so why not try it internally…

2 Likes

I felt like he just wasn’t getting good outlets for passing the ball…

Think Arthur was supposed to be another option? In any case I think statistically speaking we already have that, just that he’s broken all the time…

Jones was ok. Nice to see him back. Hopefully he builds on this as it will help us this season, and also stake a claim for the future midfield that will emerge.

I thought he was more than ok. Today was a day when options for the man on the ball were really limited. Gomez didn’t do well on the play that led to the free kick, but what he did was a consequence of that issue all the players were having - players get the ball and see no good viable passes. Gomez as a CB took time to figure out what to do and got caught. With the way he manipulates the ball at his feet Jones never allows that to happen. He moves the ball so that he isn’t caught on his heels looking for the right pass, but also because even those tiny touches open up new passing options when the game is tight like that.

2 Likes

I really like Jones but today he was very so, so. He was a little to often caught “naval gazing” rather than doing what was required. A lot of it has to do with match awareness and a run of games but he doesn’t and won’t have that luxury. To me his injuries have clearly stalled his development but he needs to make it less about Curtis and more about what is required.