Daft Prick Boehly‘s Blue Billion Pound Plastic Bottlejobs

Can a manager be sacked after winning the CL in previous season, that too arriving mid season to take them all the way?

1 Like

Teams with a long term plan would not, plastic clubs like Chelsea would.

EDIT: Just remembered that Di Matteo was exactly sacked in similar circumstances. The difference is Di Matteo was the assistant to Villa Boas, took over when he was sacked, then win the CL, then sacked the following season after a losing run in the CL. In fact, I think he even won the FA Cup against us. Imagine, sacked the following season after winning the FA Cup and CL.

2 Likes

Yes. Di Matteo is a Champions League winning manager for Chelsea in 11/12 who took over that mid season, if you call March mid season I suppose. He was given the job permanently then sacked in November, I believe. Could only be Chelsea…

2 Likes

That was what I was hinting at :sweat_smile:

Edit. Also I wonder was it Conte or Sarri or Mourinho or all of them who have been sacked after winning something in previous season? As far as I know at least one of them other than Di Matteo have.

2 Likes

He hasn’t experienced the crazy period of playing every 3 days it is going to be a rough ride from now on it was a shock to Klopp I remember but he has things in place now to cope with it i am not sure Tuchel has it in him

1 Like

They lost two games 1-0 to top sides on paper (yeah, Juve had a lot of players missing last night). Hardly a disaster…

Don’t know what’s their ceiling this season, but this Tuchel side will be competitive that’s for sure.

2 Likes

Starting to wobble

I hope it’s a wobble, but it feels like it needs more data.

A 1-0 loss to Man City and a 1-0 loss to Juventus are both well in the range of normal. Given the group stages of the CL teams are allowed a loss or two and can still qualify quite comfortably. I expect that to be Chelsea, but obviously I will be delighted if they struggle.

As for the league, they will be there or thereabouts. Based on the evidence so far I see three teams - Liverpool, Man City and Chelsea - battling it out for the title, with Man Utd slightly behind them.

Still early days. Mind you, I want them to fail.

5 Likes

It’s a cliche, but it is completely about how they react to it. I mean it always is, but if one of their perceived weakness is the temperament of Tuchel, dealing with a normal wobble without over reacting and pissing off his players is where he’s, and likely Chelsea, are going to succeed or fail.

4 Likes

Chelsea season won’t be judged by beating the likes of Watford etc.

How they do against the top 4/6 and against big European opposition

About kante and covid , how are the vaccination rates for other clubs including Liverpool.

Klopp has said we are 99%. I’m sure some sort of information is available for most but I am surprised it isn’t more apparent. I did read though that only 7 of the clubs have reported being at even 50% vaccinated.

It’s astounding.

3 Likes

So… Are Chelsea ever dropping any points again? I wasn’t disappointed after the draw at Brentford because of two points dropped but because I knew that Man City and Chelsea wouldn’t be dropping them there. Brentford deserved everything from this match but Mendy turned into Istanbul Dudek and Tuchel’s brand of catenaccio is proving effective so far and it’s worrying me, especially as they drew at Anfield with a man down.

1 Like

Yes

2 Likes

They will drop plenty of points, just like everyone else. They are extremely resilient defensively though, we wouldn’t have withstood the pressure they were under 2nd half at Anfield and again tonight at Brentford. We’d have conceded both times, without a doubt.

2 Likes

Nope, they’ll finish third. They’re well organised and have that classic Chelsea boringness but they’re getting through some of these games on luck alone. It’ll run out.

2 Likes

Well, the season is still young but I’m already tired of their luck. Mendy has saved their skins too many times already, they are so defensive that Mourinho would have been proud of this team. That said, they’ve already faced Liverpool, Man City, Tottenham, Arsenal and Brentford team that took points of Klopp’s boys… Yes, they were lucky that Tottenham and Arsenal were gash in those fixtures but, like I said, I’m already tired of their luck.

1 Like

I think it’s situational. We had a nightmare last season with defensive personnel, and it was probably always going to be a bit ropey getting Van Dijk and Matip back up to match sharpness. We’ve not been bad defensively, but I think our best is still to come in this regard.

3 Likes

Full credit to Brentford for that one. Hit the post twice and created lots of chances, with the goalie having a world class display to keep Chelsea in it. Two ways to look at it for me. First, it could be the sign of them going on to be champions, as champions will dig deep and find a way to come away with three points, even if they didn’t really deserve it on occasion. On the other hand it could be a sign that the law of averages is just around the corner, and while they deserved 0 points today, on another day they might deserve all three but get nowt.

I think it will be a three way fight for that title.

1 Like

Only because the authorities will do their best to keep the title race competitive.

We’ll walk it given a level playing field.

3 Likes