Ding Dong.....the US Politics Thread (Part 1)

I don’t know the details, but it feels like the Republicans are slowly turning away from Trump.

1 Like

Yet they like De Santis

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/scott-maxwell-commentary/os-op-florida-legal-bills-desantis-scott-maxwell-20220621-cy2n6jjiyjaazaglgpbzh2ohv4-story.html

1 Like

Paywall - could you summarise?

Holy fuck.

I can’t watch that.

What the fuck is wrong with the world?

2 Likes

:thinking:

It’s clear he’ll trawl around the deepest depths of bigotry and fearmongering until he brings up something that resonates with the rabid right in the way that the Mexican wall did in 2016. It’s his only chance of reinvigorating his support.
It’s like someone stuck a needle in the giant inflatable baby balloon and now we’re watching it slowly deflate.

A lot of his time as governor has been spent doing performative arseholary to fight against the Wokers. Most of these things are very clearly unconstitutional per florida state law and so, as a Harvard trained lawyer he presumably knows he’s going to be sued for each of them. He has routinely responded to these law suits by hiring a high priced law firm to defend his administration rather than using his already funded Solicitor General office. Recent estimates suggest this has cost Florida tax payers over 5 million, all for cases they know off the bat are losers (so why pay for additional representation), but play well in the press by positioning him as a populist fighter.

Thanks. I need as much info as possible for my attempts to influence the brother in law.

Americans make up about 4.4 percent of the global population but own 42 percent of the world’s guns.

Why Does the U.S. Have So Many Mass Shootings? Research Is Clear: Guns. https://nyti.ms/2hODjP5

This guy got 48% of the vote in Georgia. How is that possible?

Lots of Republicans will vote for the Republican candidate no matter what. They won’t care. Still others would possibly care, especially if the candidate was unqualified, but they would reluctantly vote along party lines for their perceived greater good.

Far too many people are tribal, and that often trumps good sense or proper deliberation.

2 Likes

After Trump and Meadows , she’s probably the person I’d most like to see indicted.

Edit: I neglected Lindsey Graham in that list.

Her comments are a disgrace. Warped lawyer.

1 Like

The attitude she is expressing is pervasive among that section of society - look, we’re not saying it’s right that these people were murdered, but [insert dehumanizing language about a group of people, typically with some lie about the dangers the group poses] will continue to be targeted unless they hide from society and allow us all to pretend they dont exist.

It’s an extension of the “I used to be moderate, but then liberals forced me to become racist.”

1 Like

Yet hardly unique to her. Some of the rhetoric since the shooting has been borderline genocidal.

:sob:

I watched bomb city again today, even if the film didn’t really touch on it Judges are as bad if not worst in the USA. No way such a verdict be given without a complicit judge.