Ding Dong.....the US Politics Thread (Part 2)

lol … wtf !

1 Like

Right after Uvalde happened there was discussion here that included people rejecting the idea the police were culpable for not following the established active shooter protocol of quickly and actively engaging the shooter. Now the district police chief is being prosecuted for child endangerment for not following protocol

3 Likes
3 Likes

So, what’s the difference between USA :us: and KSA :saudi_arabia:/India :india:/Iran :iran:?

1 Like

Well, the US has the right religion, obviously.

3 Likes

It all depends how it is done. I do buy the case that it helps to contextualize the birth of the nation, as religious freedom was part of that. It should be one of the ingredients covered in the curriculum, but in a historic sense, not in a Sunday School sort of way.

If it is a Trojan horse sort of thing, toward Christian nationalism, then fine, I can see the objection, as that isn’t right. America does not have a state religion, and you are quite free to practice any, or no religion, as you please.

The separation of church and state was a crucial aspect in the founding of the country. Quite intentionally America did not want to be like many of the countries in Europe, in having a state religion. It was all supposed to be separate here.

As it happens, there is a lot of merit in teaching that particular lesson today.

It is very clearly not being done in the potentially good way. What they are doing is in line with a long history of conservative tradition in the US the same that led to Bush to talk about God informing him he was right to go and bomb those evil religious zealots (wrong religion).

2 Likes

If that’s the case it should be stopped.

The Bible and religious freedom were factors in the founding of the nation, and if the country wasn’t so tetchy about everything, it could easily be covered in the curriculum in a historic way.

And perhaps even more important for today, the separation of church and state should be taught, as the country was founded on that premise, even if there have been, and continue to be, people who want to intertwine them.

I don’t understand why you are being credulous over it when the movement this is a part of are quite clear about their motivations and intentions

2 Likes

I’m not fully up on the movement. But if it is an attempt to make America something it was never intended to be, I.e. a country with a state religion, then it should be shot down.

My viewpoint academically is there is a place for the Bible to be taught, in a historic way, to explain its role in the founding of the nation. In the current extreme climate, that might be too much to expect.

Coupled with that - and this would be useful in combatting the recent trend toward Christian Nationalism in some quarters - the separation of church and state in the founding of the nation should be highlighted in grade school classrooms, so kids in America are equipped to see through the propaganda coming at them.

This is genuinely catastrophic

https://x.com/AWeissmann_/status/1806696431480152498

The balance between the laws passed by congress and the regulatory agencies that implement them typically rests on the law being general in its language (the EPA shall regulate the allowable green house gas production of power plants) and the regulatory agency then uses the technical expertise of its trained staff to determine what is covered and to what degree it should be regulated. This balance exists because law making as a practice simply isnt nimble enough to dictate the details of what regulation does, move quickly to adapt to new knowledge/technology, and lacks the experts with the content knowledge necessary to make effective decisions.

Chevron Doctrine essentially says that the courts cannot intervene over a regulatory agency’s technical interpretation of how to implement a statue. It limits their ability to do so to a narrow set of cases where the law is unusually written to be specific about what the agency should do (as per the example above, it would mean listing the full set of gases that should be regulated rather than leaving it to them to define what qualifies as a “GHG”). This ruling overturns chevron which basically makes it open season on regulators and means government is effectively hamstrung.

3 Likes

https://x.com/joshtpm/status/1806700264167972996

This coming in the same session as they massively weakened bribery laws

2 Likes

If Biden does get in he either expands the court or allows those assholes to keep on dictating.

1 Like

The Chevron stuff is appalling. Still, I expect a number of the Justices will receive a nice ‘tip’ for their work, after the ruling, purely in appreciation for great service received.

1 Like

Then why just Bible and the Ten Commandments? USA is a multicultural nation.

I prefer religious teaching from cultural, not spiritual, perspective. Students should be taught all the religions and their followers. It should be a lesson in diversity.

2 Likes

Hate to burst your bubble Ifti.

4 Likes

WTF… :rofl:

https://x.com/nicksortor/status/1808504862386049227

4 Likes

The NYT - happy independence day, now here’s a piece from someone who thinks voting is no more a civic duty than hunting down fugitive slaves or allegiance to a eugenics society were

https://x.com/PoliticsWolf/status/1808861013728440326

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

1 Like