Ding Dong.....the US Politics Thread (Part 2)

I saw that. Peacock were going wild about it being a winning routine and never seemed to clock on to what her actual score was.

2 Likes

Kamala is going to be the next President of the United States.

1 Like

Do you know her last name? :thinking:

5 Likes

No one knows, it’s a mystery… It’s Harris. So strange.

5 Likes

Calm down, Toyah.

She doesn’t need a last name. She’s iconic already!

1 Like

Trying to make sense of the madness that is MAGA. A really good piece here with some great photography (as usual) from the NYT. Free to read ;

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/11/us/kid-rock-trump-maga.html?unlocked_article_code=1.CE4.Pre-.itJEmhA8AWKw&smid=url-share

2 Likes

Seems to be one notch up from the Walking Dead cast…!
Weird :0)

1 Like
1 Like

This is wild. If you see anything of the John Oliver show you might recognize the reporter as he is who Oliver lovingly referred to as “Nashville’s nosiest bitch” in a segment about him a while back

https://x.com/FPWellman/status/1823355104835105038

3 Likes

Calling Taylor Swift… This is your turf. Time to get your Swifties out in force!

1 Like

So as well as taking over the Republican Party and a large part of the judiciary , the MAGA / QANON clowns also sit atop law enforcement in some states. How the fuck did we get here ?

1 Like

They were already sitting on top of law enforcement in lots of places which is what allowed Trumpism to take hold.

1 Like

More to the point, I don’t think it’s a matter of a takeover so much as that being the nature of the Republican Party that was lurking behind that facade all this while.

I’ve got family in Tennessee and they wonder why I don’t want to visit.

It’s beautiful in places. The Smokey mountains, the bourbon distilleries. But it is also exactly what you think it is.

4 Likes

I would love to travel across the US, but its inhabitants are a solid deterrent.

I think there really was a takeover. The country club Republicans who used to actually run the GOP are all but gone. To win power, they activated issue sets that would have working people fundamentally vote against their economic interests in favour of small-state deregulation and unwinding the New Deal. Hence the salience of abortion starting from the late 70’s. But they let the genie out of the bottle without understanding how to control it.

3 Likes

I’ve done a good amount of it and loved it. It is a VERY different experience doing it alongside an Asian looking women.

3 Likes

I guess in my mind it wasn’t so much a takeover as when the grifters start believing the grift.