Downunder Thread

Seeing Mark Dreyfus and Albo line up to support Israeli warcrimes is pretty disgusting.
This piece by Turnbull neatly expresses why the voice referendum was both an unnecessary mistake and no where near as big a setback as some imagine - certainly the comparisons with the significance of brexit are idiotic.

If your objective is to recognise Indigenous Australians in the constitution then there were, and remain, many ways to do that in a way that is historically truthful but cannot be claimed to confer different, or special, rights on Indigenous (or any other) Australians.

This principle of Indigenous recognition has had bipartisan support for nearly 20 years. Language of that kind is much more likely to secure overwhelming support both from the political parties and the public.

The authors of the Uluru Statement sought to create more than another committee. They sought to address the “trauma of powerlessness” and so the voice was intended to be heard. And while government and parliament were not bound to follow its advice, it was always obvious (and always intended) that it would be very influential. It would not be a third chamber, in the way the Senate is a second chamber, but as PM Albanese acknowledged last year it would be a very brave government that ignored its advice on matters relating to Indigenous Australians.

This reality created a constant tension in the yes campaign, arguing on one hand the voice was just an advisory body, on the other that it would be a powerful, influential council which would make a decisive impact for good on Indigenous welfare and prospects.

yeah I’m not so sure about that. be curious to know the demographic they’re polling after seeing the few numbers they put in the report

*Foodbank’s annual hunger report has revealed.

The report, based on a survey of 4,342 people conducted in July, revealed that compared with 2022, about 383,000 additional households struggled to put food on the table.*

The biggest driver of food insecurity was the cost-of-living crisis, with 77% of households saying it was the main reason, up from 64% in 2022. This was followed by low-income employment and inadequate welfare payments, with 42% of respondents saying that was a contributing factor.

More than half (60%) of all food insecure households had someone in paid work.

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price is on Radio 4 now, talking about the referendum and general Australian identity politics.

1 Like

is an absolute *$# and should not be listened to.

Totally endorse that, she is a piece of shit even many of her own can’t stand her.

1 Like

She comes across like an NT Nadine Dorries.

Seems like a fair comparison!

not really fair at all.

regardless of the side of the divide you stand…shes very clearly got ‘skin in the game’…

just calling her a cunt because she didnt agree with your preference seems a bit abusive…maybe listen to what she has to say?

Saw this the other night. Still feel queasy…

middle of fucking nowhere, that is

A bit late, but just started watching this today and it’s fascinating, if tragic…

Don’t recognise this ‘Australia’. May as well be mars

I wasn’t that far into the outback, but after 8 weeks on the blocks contracted to Jacob’s Creek I can definitely say that there’s some sketchy shit on the borders. nevermind up north where the croc’s are.

I took to heart an old advertisement for the NT that used the byline 'You’ll never never know if you never never go".

I got as far north as Port Douglas. beautiful area, but I didn’t go inland very far.

1 Like

Wise move.

Port Douglas is paradise, but it’s not real Australia.

yeah, but that’s like defining “real Canada”. it’s so fucking big with so many different aspects and cultures to it, that there is no one definitive example of it.

Also, that’s the beauty of it.

1 Like