England National Team

Tuchel for England? :see_no_evil:

I put £6 on Gary O’Neil to be next permanent manager back in July.
40/1

3 Likes

That’s not Gary

Keep him from Man Utd.

Assume Potter has a chance unless he wants to do Club. Maybe he is waiting for Man Utd :joy:

1 Like

Negotiations apparently already advanced

2 Likes

Can’t see this going badly at all

The other betting favourite is Tuchel, but he will become unstuck when he refuses to join in with a bantz rendition of two world wars and one world cup

5 Likes

I dotn think Carsley should be written off on the back off one game, and think his lack of traditional credentials should not count against him given how different international football is. But I have no idea at all WTF he was even trying to do with that side. Putting together a competent and coherent England side is not easy with some of the personnel limitations, but I think million of people could have predicted whatever that was the other night was unlikely to be the answer

3 Likes

Interesting Trivia question I saw today - 3 England players have played under 7 different England managers, but one has played under 8.

Name the 4 (all of them include at least 1 caretaker manager) and the managers

Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Beckham

cant get the grey matter flowing enough to be bothered thinking about it, but one would be a keeper i assume
maybe even Trex

The key to the question is the period between hoddle and hodgson included 3 different caretaker managers, one of whom had two different stints

Hasn’t he written off himself already?

1 Like

The reactions tell you that even though it might be the best job in the world (I don’t think it is, unless you win
 which is very hard and rare, not only for England, but even more so when it’s been a while), but also quite possibly one of the worst. Worst might be going too far, but certainly difficult.

Boos at Wembley, fighting between each other, leaving the ground early
 what kind of apparently great support is that?

England are in a interim period after going so close a few times to win something major.

Losing at home to Greece is disappointing, but shouldn’t be such a shock to lose a game, even a home game, here and there. Happens to everyone. Regardless of the amount of quality/talent.

And there is no right or wrong. Neither appointing a “Capello” (who probably wasn’t at his peak anymore at the time), neither copying Spain’s move with Fuente and going Carsley. Thinking more domestic is alright in my opinion, if that’s their choice right now.

Carsley is probably intelligent enough that he’s not really jumping into it like a lunatic. Who knows if the FA even want to appoint him full time, or are using time to explore possible options. Things are going as planned at Newcastle and who knows when Howe might be available or ready to make that move.

England have gone through a lot in recent years (being so low and being as close as possible twice) and I know it’s also hard to expect more maturity from fans and media.

2 Likes

Interesting that Tuchel is now odds-on favourite for the job. He was 8-1 earlier in the week.

Three names on that list I have never even heard of :thinking:

I can’t be bothered looking them up

Trent starting at left back, now I hadn’t seen that one coming. :smiley:

2 Likes

English media
Trent can’t defend at RB

English coaching
lets play him at LB

6 Likes

There have been lots of stories using that framing - presenting Carlsey as the De la Fuente option - but FA’s vision for promoting from within goes back years earlier than that, to the time they appointed Southgate for the U21s in 2012 or 13. I dont think its a nitpicky detail as it reframes Carsley’s candidacy not as a reflection of some recent trend, but as part of England’s long term thinking about the role.

It doesn’t mean Carsley will get it, but it does illustrate the amount of support he would have within the FA, hence their willingness to give him such a long caretaker tenure when such an appointment has never last more than 1 game before.

2 Likes